• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clone hard drive, good software for free?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I need to clone a hard drive. I have done this before, its been a few years since i last did it, and i cant remember which software i used.

Whats a good solution out there at the moment?

I've used EaseUS Todo Backup to clone drives. Give it a look and see if it fits the bill.

I'm using Macrium Reflect. It's available as free trial but not limited in anything.

I'm using Macrium Reflect. It's available as free trial but not limited in anything.

Woomack are you using the FREE version of Macrium Reflect or a free trial version? I have used the Free version of Macrium Reflect off and on for about 4 years and there are a few things different in Fully Free version and the paid for version. For pure image to replace image when problems arise...no difference I can see though.

RGone...

I think it was clonezilla i used last time? Fact is, i just need a clone of one HDD to another. Its going from 1tb to 500gb, but only 120gb is in use, so that should not present a problem. As lon as they are identical when im done, i am happy.

I think it was clonezilla i used last time? Fact is, i just need a clone of one HDD to another. Its going from 1tb to 500gb, but only 120gb is in use, so that should not present a problem. As lon as they are identical when im done, i am happy.

save the first disk to an image, then restore that image on the new smaller disk and use advanced mode just make sure you check the box that says ignore the second disks size.

I have tried out Todo today, and it seems to want to work with big and small HDD, but not how i would ike it.

The HDD i am looking to clone has the noraml 100mb Reserved for System partion and also the C:, when i go to use Todo, it makes 2 partions, A: and E: i have a theory that A: is the system partition that it wants to make into a viewable partition, which i dont need it to be. Any help on this one?

Are you trying to use the Disk/Partition Backup option, or the Clone option? As far as I remember, I simply used the Clone option to upgrade from a 256GiB SSD to a 512GiB. I cannot recall if there was an option within the following screens to automatically expand the partition to use the entire 512GiB drive space, but it had no problems cloning everything from one drive to the other, including the boot partition. After cloning, I simply turned off the PC, switched out the old SSD for the new SSD, and booted up like normal.

I am useing the Clone option.

I ended up making the 100mb partition on the new HDD. First i cloned that, then i went back and i am currently cloning C:

Wont know for some time if its worked or not, if not, im going to start over using Macrium Reflect free

Cloning the drive should do just that, unless you are choosing the individual partitions, and not choosing the entire drive. There are check boxes next to the drive, as well as next to each partition on that drive.

I didn't have to go through any of what you are going through when I used Todo. :confused:

Woomack are you using the FREE version of Macrium Reflect or a free trial version? I have used the Free version of Macrium Reflect off and on for about 4 years and there are a few things different in Fully Free version and the paid for version. For pure image to replace image when problems arise...no difference I can see though.

RGone...

When I need it I just download free version from their official site. As far as I know there is no free version as a separate package. Simply if you won't register full version then it's free with some limitations. Here is list and download link:
http://macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

So free version is just like an unlimited trial but "trial" word you only see when you install this application - in window with registration/download. When you register it then installer is downloading different package.

I'm using it only to clone drives and it's not so often. It was working better than earlier Acronis and I mean it was cloning all SSD and HDD which I had , also RAID to single drives and back. Acronis had problems with some Crucial and earlier OCZ/Corsair drives. I guess they fixed it now but it's not free.

Back