• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Unconfuse Me About 1866mHz RAM & FX-8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Golodkin

Registered
I'm trying to build an FX-8320 box and want to avoid dumb buys with the MB & RAM.

This is notionally a 1866-capable setup, but I'm getting a lot of really contradictory info on various sites.

The latest, on Corsair's FAQ page, IIRC, said that with this CPU the ONLY time you can get 1866 is on a board with only TWO slots and using ONE module.

If the board has FOUR slots, you can NEVER get 1866mHz out of it, only 1600mHz. Of course, all of the MBs I see have four slots and claim 1866 capability. What? :confused:

So, can someone please explain what's really going on here so I can intelligently buy the appropriate RAM for my project? 1600, or 1866?

As always, many thanks for lucid and helpful information!

Last edited:
Official memory controller speed is 1866 and it's guaranteed to work on 2 memory slots. However it may work at higher frequency or at 4 memory slots. It's just not guaranteed.

If you buy 2133 memory kit then is a high chance to make it work at 2133. If not then you can always run it at 1866 or 1600.
Memory and motherboard manufacturers are protecting themselves guaranteeing work within AMD specification.

If price is similar then get the fastest memory you can or just pick memory from tested memory list for your motherboard to be sure about compatibility.

Last edited:
also, the board will auto set the 1600 settings, above that you have to set it all up your self.
early on we all went with 1866 because it was the most bang for the buck, you bought 1866 and clocked it to 2000 or so, that was where many of the memory controlers gave up and with the tighter, 1866 timings it performed better in benchmarks.

I'm trying to build an FX-8320 box and want to avoid dumb buys with the MB & RAM.

This is notionally a 1866-capable setup, but I'm getting a lot of really contradictory info on various sites.

The latest, on Corsair's FAQ page, IIRC, said that with this CPU the ONLY time you can get 1866 is on a board with only TWO slots and using ONE module.

If the board has FOUR slots, you can NEVER get 1866mHz out of it, only 1600mHz. Of course, all of the MBs I see have four slots and claim 1866 capability. What? :confused:

So, can someone please explain what's really going on here so I can intelligently buy the appropriate RAM for my project? 1600, or 1866?

As always, many thanks for lucid and helpful information!
Golokin, some of what you have heard has merit. Though, most Fx chips will do more then 1866 Mhz with 2 or 4 sticks but it may not be plug and play. It may take some tweaking with the Dram Voltage and or the Cpu Nb voltage to get the sticks to run stable. It will also depend on the memory itself, for some reason it seems that Kingston ram doesn't play well with these AMD Fx chips. They can usually be made to work if they don't plug and play nice but will take tweaking to do so. If you're looking for ram for a Fx chip we find G. Skill usually will play nice without issue.

All that said if you're buying a AMD Fx 8xxx chip make sure you get a quality motherboard with at least a 6+2 VRM section if you're going to run it stock to a mild Oc. If you're looking to really push then a top end motherboard is the only way to go. You will also need top end cooling, these chips run hot.

Here's a good thread to read if you're looking for a motherboard

It will also depend on the memory itself, for some reason it seems that Kingston ram doesn't play well with these AMD Fx chips. They can usually be made to work if they don't plug and play nice but will take tweaking to do so.

Yeah, I suspected that was the case after seeing that FX-* CPUs were not in the supported list, but then everyone started telling me I was a jackass to worry about it, etc., etc., etc. [sigh!] For all that, you might want to read the replies to the end and let me know what you think.

If there are any threads about the specific problems with Kingston RAM w/FX-* CPUs, I'd be grateful for a link.

Here's an example of FX-* problems with that prospective board using the wrong RAM.

If you're looking for ram for a Fx chip we find G. Skill usually will play nice without issue.

I'll keep that in mind.

All that said if you're buying a AMD Fx 8xxx chip make sure you get a quality motherboard with at least a 6+2 VRM section if you're going to run it stock to a mild Oc. If you're looking to really push then a top end motherboard is the only way to go.

My OCing will be modest (at most), and only to the extent it doesn't impair stability. As I said, this box is replacing/updating a DAW (vast overkill), with hopes of eventually editing short music videos, for which purpose all available RAM and processing power can be practically utilized.

I'd been meaning to build a fast box for video work for some time and when I stupidly overheated a C: HDD in my existing rig coincident with some attractive sales on components at Fry's, it looked like a good time to move. $99 for a boxed FX-8320 is the best price I've seen in a while, and likewise some of the other stuff -- but I'm still short the MB & RAM. Video card will just be the existing 2D unit that serves dual monitors in the studio. That's all it will ever do, so there's no point in overkill; there will never be a game played on this box, nor will I be mining.

You will also need top end cooling, these chips run hot.

I bagged an Antec Kühler H2O 950 for $33 at Fry's when I got the FX-8320. I suspect it will be adequate to the purpose (though mounting it is a bit of a nuisance in the new Antec Three Hundred Two case I got for it).

The heat is a HUGE problem -- not for the system so much as for me. In a couple of more weeks, the inside and outside temperatures will be pretty severe here and a source of general misery until around the end of October. I was quietly horrified at the graphs I saw indicating the fierce jump in heat output that merely running the CPU in turbo mode will cause. Come winter, this thing will literally heat the house.

Last edited:
The Gigbyte 970A Ud3 is a pretty good, it does lack some of the features that the other upper end boards have but if you're not planning on really pushing the chip then you should be fine. This will also depend on the revision of the board, it seems that different revisions have different problems. I generally have a tough time recommending AMD Gigabyte boards for this reason. I've heard decent things about this board, it may suit you as well. I will also re-iterate do not get Kingston ram on an AMD Fx chip, I can't tell you how many times people come here with issues trying to run them. Something like these would be what I'd buy. If you can't run them at 2133 you likely can run them at 1866 with tighter timings.

The Antec 950 you bought should be good for a mild Oc, I'm guessing around 4.5 give or take 100 Mhz.

As far as heat goes, yes the Fx 8xxx chips do make good space heaters, especially if one is Oced.

Yeah, I suspected that was the case after seeing that FX-* CPUs were not in the supported list, but then everyone started telling me I was a jackass to worry about it, etc., etc., etc. [sigh!] For all that, you might want to read the replies to the end and let me know what you think.

Yeah those boys at OCN can be that way at times. I' currently reading the thread and chuckling at bob tearin a strip on them.

Personaly I wouldn't buy one stick of ram at a time and certainly not kingston. Most of the issues with it have been in the 2x8 Gb higher rated speeds ram but we have seen it in most of the double sided sticks. Why I'm not sure but it usually come down to the sub-timings being too tight for AM3+ Mobo/cpu to deal with.

Yeah, I went to...

...to read those threads also.

Did you see post #30 by "undervolter"? "This isn't a Kingston "exclusive". I have the same issue with Corsair XMS3 1.5v CAS9 1600Mhz." He is correct that some Corsair has an issue with AMD and the unwary seeing spec of 1.5V is not just as a matter of course going to UP his ram voltage. I mean everywhere you go with newbies is the question > How much is safe and how much is safe? They are not by nature just going to UP the ram voltage.

I have two or three reasons I don't use Kingston Ram.
1. Many long moons ago when there was a big changeover in ram ICs and UCC was 'big', a big rep for Kingston they would make NO effort to ensure that each stick of a "KIT" had the same ICs on the sticks. That was my last time frame forward to buy Kingston Ram.

2. Also many moons ago I used to have to have some DFI customers with Value Select ram send their motherboards TO me and I would setup their Kingston Ram and save settings to profile and send the board back. After 4 or 5 a pattern began to emerge (finally) and I could generally then tweak them by email. That is REAL not hearsay from some internet site. The dang stuff was just too finicky for my use.

3. And just to be even handed about this shett, let me say that while trying to help a buddy 'and' myself, I placed an order for two different kits of G Skill ram and being in a hurry, I actually bought one of the kits that had NO mention of AMD in the hyped advertising. Dumb ole faht. When the ram got here I looked at part numbers and said oh crap. I saw I had erred. I tried that kit of ram with NO mention of AMD in advertising and guess what? NO workie. Okay my bad. I had purchased the other kit of a ram speed and timings I was UNfamiliar with and it too would not boot up straight away. Now that really ticked me off. Hehehe. I was told try it in an Intel mobo. For what? It was destined for AMD use. I could not give two hoots if it worked in Intel configuration. And since all of this was for settling up with a bud...I did not want to ship him ram that needed a lot of jerking with to use. I RMA'd both kits to NewEgg and made sure the one I MISordered had the correct part number this time and bought a Kit of ARES G Skill like I normally do and all was well.

Now each and every one of those is/was a real incident. Not hearsay. I was there. H*ll it was happening to me and in front of my own eyes. We can all have a single incident and even that one incident can forge our buying habits for life in many cases. I dont' do Kingston and I try my best to keep my eyes on the part numbers when ordering. If the Ram advertising at retail site is not just hyping the heck out of AMD use...I don't even buy it in G Skill brand. But all this is me. Thousands and maybe millions around the world have no problems with Kingston. But I am no longer in that group.

I was still saying the ram appeared free in the EGG bundle and if ram did not work...no real loss just get working ram. BUT after reading that thread about the Rev 2 of that nearly new iteration of the UD3P and what is gone from bios...I have changed my mind and would not have the board. None of you know it but I was at the EGG with finger on the BUY button and something just would not let me get the V2 UD3P since I had adjusted for the Kingston Ram not working in my mind and was going to buy a so-called matching stick for an Intel Rig I have...but I could not push the buy button no matter the 'price' lure. Ultimately glad I did not buy the bundle.

Now you know some more of a rest of the story.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzz

EDIT:
I am going to add this because it is real. None of us in these AMD forum sections give two shetts what a user buys. We only wish that every user were skilled in using his parts and pieces and have at least pieces that stand a chance of providing AM3+ HOT FX processor users a 'chance' at a decent 24/7 overclock. Truthfully if you are not going to run 4.5GHz on an FX processor you give way too much performance away and would be better off with a cheaper Intel Cpu and cheap motherboard. No sense in going AMD just for price. If you are not a tweaker...AMD discrete cpus are not likely for youself. YMMV and my opinion. But I have been helping users freegratis for years now and it gets to be a pain when the parts and pieces give little overall chance for the users succcess.

We try to tell it like it really is to the very best of what we can glean across the net and reading thru 'reams' of BS in some posts.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Well, here's the current status:

I did order that combo deal (which NewEgg may eventually decide to ship someday), for several reasons:

1: I'm tired of trying to find a deal at a decent price that has unanimous approval. It's not going to happen in this lifetime. The v.2 board has a lot of satisfied and apparently knowledgeable users with the FX-8320/8350, and I'm sure that barring defects, this will be an adequate board for my modest needs. I'm not going to be doing any overclocking until cold weather anyway, which will give me time to broaden my understanding of it. It may not even be needed. We'll see.

2: Dumping the unopened stick of RAM on local Craigslist for $40 will still leave me way ahead on the MB price. For the average user with a less problematic rig, it will be fine and a good deal.

3: I can get this deal for my RAM, which seems to meet with general approval as a choice for that MB/CPU and is a good value.

G skill sniper is a fantastic choice for your setup.
Selling the ram is a great idea too, kind of a side "Rebate" if you will (pending you find a buyer for a decent price).

The only board that gets "unanimous approval" is the CHV unfortunately. For overclocking, theres only a handful of "serious boards" that are easy recommendations. A few of the rest will do the job ok, just limits your potential significantly. A good 4.5ghz doesn't need a CHV or sabertooth, but running it on those 4+1 phase boards is also not gonna happen. We're simply trying to save you some headache from our own experiences on the matter; which unfortunately includes running Kingston ram. It might be an unlucky vocal minority making a ruckus, but in general just not something you'd really want to deal with I wouldn't think.

G skill sniper is a fantastic choice for your setup. [...]

Selling the ram is a great idea too, kind of a side "Rebate" if you will (pending you find a buyer for a decent price).
For overclocking, theres only a handful of "serious boards" that are easy recommendations. A few of the rest will do the job ok, just limits your potential significantly. A good 4.5ghz doesn't need a CHV or sabertooth, but running it on those 4+1 phase boards is also not gonna happen. We're simply trying to save you some headache from our own experiences on the matter

Well, this board is heatsinked 8+2, remember, something that I took into consideration before buying...though it may not get used, I dunno. Owners claim good OC results with this board and the FX-8320/8350. This MB/CPU combination has many fans. We'll see. [shrug]

Something like a Sabertooth is just gross overkill for my purposes, plus I have a lasting animus toward ASUS for the way I got terribly screwed over by their RMA circus years back (apparently it is even worse now, judging from some epic irate threads I've read while researching this buy). Gigabyte customer service seems to have earned fewer lasting enemies. Again, we'll see. :-/

I'll order those G.Skill sticks later today and we'll see how it goes when it all arrives. This guy is absolutely having a mortal fit to get into all these parts that are accumulating back in the studio.

UD3P has a good track record around these parts. $ for $ its probably better than a sabertooth for the average user.

Yeah, well...this package came a day early. I do have to say that the MB is a lot more substantial-looking than it is in pictures -- much meatier heatsinks, for one thing.

In that the G.Skill RAM is still somewhere en route, I can't yet fully put this together. I'm in a bit of a quandary with this, as I normally do builds incrementally, from the MB on a rubber mat, adding components a bit at a time as they check out, then finally mount it in the case. Unfortunately, because of this massive cooler, I really have to mount the whole mess in the case to secure the radiator and MB from accidental damage to each other. Two extra hands would make this hugely easier, and I don't mean cat paws slashing at me through the various openings in the case.

Later: I have the MB, SSD and CPU in the case and that godawful cooler as well. Installing that monstrosity was one of the most frustrating things I've ever tried to accomplish on the bench, but I eventually got it done, and miraculously without apparent mishap. It was horrible. The one possible problem is that this thing came copiously doped with metallic thermal compound and after fighting with mounting it for 45 minutes, most of it seems squished out around the edges of the CPU. A review mentioned the likelihood of this happening and warned of possible mischief from this excess getting into something it shouldn't.

Is it worth pulling this thing and starting over with it? Now that I've worked out the tricks for getting it in, it won't be quite as bad as getting it in the first time.

Later still: I've gone in with an inspection mirror and upon closer inspection, the extruded goop is not substantially more than it typically is except slightly on one side, which I think I can swab off. I think I'll let this go for now.

Last edited:
Yeah some of those AIOs can be a royal pain in the arse to get mounted correctly. You'll know if you're getting higher than expected temps where the problem is.

"IT'S ALIVE!"

Well, the RAM came a while ago, and more than somewhat contrary to my expectations, the box booted on first power-up...at least into BIOS, as I haven't installed any OS yet. Acknowledges right amount of RAM, right CPU. Memtest+ looks good.

First impressions are that this thing is going to need some improvised board cooling, as that monstrous CPU cooler looks like it was made to obstruct the VRMs' airflow. Heat, heat, heat from this box! I'm going to pick up a KillAWatt from the library and see how much juice it's actually sucking up just idling.

Tons of config to do on this thing, I'm sure. Thoughts on that?

Tons of config to do on this thing, I'm sure. Thoughts on that?

In no way sure what tons of config to do means in reality. Config in computer parlance normally means what parts one gets to put together to make a complete system. Thought you had already spent days and days in search before buying your configuration?

RGone...

PS: you are no longer asking any question about Ram...you might do better to start a post in the correct motherboard forum section if you need to continue. That is why the forum is divided into sections to keep posting on topic and give the best exposure.

Back