• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not understanding all the hoopla about expensive phablets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I just do not understand why someone would shell out $500-$700 for a phone or tablet or phablet???

I mean except for hdmi and OTG, my current smartphone is just as good as many of the more expensive phones, but I only payed $50.00 for mine and I can play all the games, connect to wifi, surf the net, etc, and it connects to my MOGA game controller easily..I play dead trigger on it all the time, even though I svck at it.
My phone may be able to do OTG if I root it (IDK) I haven't tried to root it yet

My cheapo chinese tablet cost about the same as my phone, and it too has all the features you'd expect from a more costly unit...Although mine does not have bluetooth, but that was my fault by not paying attention to the specs when I hit the buy button, but I could have purchased one that does have bluetooth for the around same price.

Anyhow, I just don/t see the need to buy an Iphone or Nexus just to get some personal assistant (cyri?)

Am I way off base? Can someone enlighten me on why I am wrong. Or do you agree?
Cheers,
doc

What brand of smart phone and tablet do you have?

My phone is a Huawei Glory (H868C)
My tablet is a generic chinese Quadcore A33 (model in about device is shown as "QUAD-CORE A33 y33")

specs on the tab are Arm cortex a7 quadcore allwinner a33 @1.5ghz Mali 400gpu 512mb ddr3, 16gb rom and flash card port up to 32gb Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Forgot to add the box identified it as "HH083"

Last edited:
A lot of things can play a role, but for me personally each newer phone iteration that hit the market have better cameras than the previous, and for me that is a big selling point as I do not have a DSLR camera and if I did, the phone is much more compact to keep on me. There are other things though like faster hardware offering better snappiness and response(why do you upgrade your computer? Why would you get a GTX 980 when the GTX 750 Ti would still play most games on low or a 960 that can play most games with decent settings?), build quality, staying up to date on OS patches, just to name a few things.

If that phone works for YOU, then fantastic! Everyone is different in regards to their wants or needs from a phone.

Why? Because I had the money and it is still one of the best phones money can buy. I own the flagship sony z3 d6603. The s6 is 64bit but still slower than mine-ha

I just do not understand why someone would shell out $500-$700 for a phone or tablet or phablet???

I mean except for hdmi and OTG, my current smartphone is just as good as many of the more expensive phones, but I only payed $50.00 for mine and I can play all the games, connect to wifi, surf the net, etc, and it connects to my MOGA game controller easily..I play dead trigger on it all the time, even though I svck at it.
My phone may be able to do OTG if I root it (IDK) I haven't tried to root it yet

My cheapo chinese tablet cost about the same as my phone, and it too has all the features you'd expect from a more costly unit...Although mine does not have bluetooth, but that was my fault by not paying attention to the specs when I hit the buy button, but I could have purchased one that does have bluetooth for the around same price.

Anyhow, I just don/t see the need to buy an Iphone or Nexus just to get some personal assistant (cyri?)

Am I way off base? Can someone enlighten me on why I am wrong. Or do you agree?
Cheers,
doc
Some do more than just those basics. ;)

Love my S6...

What's the battery life of those cheap phones and tablets?
My phone can get over two days, and my tablet much longer. That's a big criteria for me when buying.

What's the battery life of those cheap phones and tablets?
My phone can get over two days, and my tablet much longer. That's a big criteria for me when buying.

I love my Moto G, but battery life horrible right out of the box. More battery would have been worth more $$ to me had I realized that.

My iPad Mini2(Retina) has eternal battery life!

I love my Moto G, but battery life horrible right out of the box. More battery would have been worth more $$ to me had I realized that.

My iPad Mini2(Retina) has eternal battery life!

This is why I always go for the MAXX phones, their battery is awesome.
And the Turbo is supposed to be even better.

I don't understand why people shame others for not spending that much. Just got a Lumia 640 for $100. It's stupid value. Windows 8.1 and soon to be Win10 on a phone. People claiming they need more than that are lying or phenomenally ignorant. Somehow value became a bad word in this country.

People tossing bad money every year at Android is a hell of a thing to watch. But seeing as we are doomed without stupid consumer spending levels because we don't make anything anymore, I guess somebody has to do it. Wont be me.

I always get the latest-gen phones on contract at the subsidized price after they have been out for a while to save even more. I got my G3 for $50 last November, only ~5 months after it came out. I'd never (ever) buy a full price phone, but I'll take a flagship subsidized phone every two years, sure; why not?

I always get the latest-gen phones on contract at the subsidized price after they have been out for a while to save even more. I got my G3 for $50 last November, only ~5 months after it came out. I'd never (ever) buy a full price phone, but I'll take a flagship subsidized phone every two years, sure; why not?

This is what I do as well.

I got my G3 for $50

That is a phone. Three of the younger members in our family have gotten the G3 (now $0) over the last 5 weeks or so and I am going to see what the G4 costs subsidized for 2 years and then make up my mind to move from S4 or not. But that newest camera on G4 is supposed to be really slick. Just have to see. G3 is plenty...oh well you know.

RGone...

I just got my first current gen phone s6. I always got older series phones to save some cash. One thing to keep in mind if you are getting the deal through your carrier on contract is you're still paying a few hundred on to of the price you pay. For example verizon comes to $360 on a 2 year contract so that $50 phone isn't so cheap when you like at it like that.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.4 2014 edition, which was fairly expensive when I got it. I'm attending college again, so having all my notes digitally available (or print, or share, etc) and being able to scan in documents then write on them is incredibly useful. This tablet has, by far, the best handwriting hardware available, the battery lasts forever, and I can store an effectively infinite amount of notes (local storage + "cloud"). Additional features like being able to cast the screen to my ChromeCast is nice for when I have other students over and they need to be able to see my screen.

Most people won't need something like that, but it was absolutely worth what I paid and cheaper tablets can't touch it.

I also just got a Galaxy S6 because reasons. Don't judge me.

Yea, All good points ^^^I understand that the new Galaxy tabs have NO micro SD slot?

I guess if it has tons of storage, then I guess it is ok, but I like to be able swap out cards when they get full.

This is my 1st smart phone, I got it from Tracfone and it was the best they had at the time. My last phone was a verison Chocolate touch.

I like all the bells and whistles that comes with these new phones, but mostly I got it to play games while I'm stuck at a Doctors office, and or to watch movies and surf the net.
Thank You all for the replies....it was very enlightening.

Back