• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thumb drive slowing down. TRIM command fix it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I got a 16GB Lexar USB2 thumb drive. At first it seemed to write at an OK speed, but now it writes very slowly. After I filled it up to transfer to another PC it still had several GB of space used even though it showed up as empty in Windows Explorer. I quick formatted it to empty it completely. Now it slows by the minute. Is there a TRAM command to restore it to new condition.

OTOH its FAT32 file system might be the problem. I did a full format on it instead of a quickie. Maybe that will work.

Last edited:
Format won't clear cells. Try diskpart from command prompt -> diskpart , list disk , select disk ( and here number of your thumbdrive ) , clean all
This will clean whole drive. Later format it to exFAT32 or something like that.
Diskpart is also great when you have weird problems with SSD ( boot issues, F4 errors while installing OS etc ) as it's cleaning firmware area and boot sectors what standard format is not touching.

Back