• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a "cool" graphics card (literally)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicky9499

Registered
Hi all,

I currently have a Sapphire R9 280X in my room. Great performance, but like the 7970 it generates a good amount of heat especially when under load and overclocked. So I'm thinking of putting this in my living room's HTPC instead (where there's much more room for the heat to dissipate) and buy something "cooler" instead.

After a look of googling and reading it seems that virtually everyone is doing lists and articles on "best card of 201X/best value etc.) which is understandable as heat is not primarily most people's main concern. However all of these also focus on the effectiveness of non-ref coolers.

I am less concerned with the efficiency of a custom cooler than how much heat is generated in the first place. Which was the main problem with the 280X; the cooler kept it at a good ~70*c under load and dumped all that heat into the room very quickly.

Hence me asking here.

The budget would be between US$160 to 180, with main concerns being TDP and actual generated heat.
I'm impartial towards both red and green camps (although my past 2 cards have been AMDs), and would prefer a 3 or 4GB card as I'm running 2 FHD displays now with the possibility of adding a 3rd one in a few months. Older generations are fine (I hear from a mate his 580 never exceeds 45* in 30* ambient) I'll most probably not overclock it unless there's really lots of headroom and significant gain. Again, for heat reasons.

Please recommend away! Thank you.

Last edited:
GTX 750 Ti, GTX 960, or GTX 970.
You should be able to get a 960 on sale with your budget.

The 960 (and 750Ti) are slower than a 280x/7970 though note...

You would have to get to the 970 level in order to get be the same or better (its better), otherwise, you are down grading. And if you are going triple monitor, the 960 won't cut it.

As far as the 580, its a 250W card just like the 280x/7970 is, so regardless of temperatures, you are still dumping 250W of heat into the room. I also don't buy his card only reaches 45C either. Remember, temperature and heat are different things. For example, the yellow flame on a lighter and the yellow flames in a bonfire are the same TEMPERATURE, however the bonfire would clearly heat up a room faster than a lighter would even at the same temps. ;)

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. What about the 800 series? Also, I'm not really sure how to intepret the lighter/bonfire analogy so I'm going to say that

a) 7970/R9 280X is a bonfire
b) I'm looking for something like a bunsen burner.

I understand it's a downgrade. However an equivalent current-gen Maxwell (pretty much the best power-efficient chips?) is out of my budget so it'll have to do.

There's so much waffle everywhere. I tried to search along the lines of "low power consumption" but these just end up with folks just throwing out all sorts of SFF/low profile cards. Size and power consumption are none of my concern although I guess power and heat kind of go hand in hand.

Also, all of these are 2gb cards. Even if I'm gaming on 1 FHD screen some games these days (GTAV) can easily use more than that with textures turned up, AA and 60fps.

My 7850 has 2gb which was supple for its time but these day I've relegated it to the living room cranking out 30fps on the telly.

800 series was only laptop GPUs.
Like I said before, your budget fits for a GTX 960 on sale. You can get those as 4GB for a little bit more than the 2GB version

FHD....... that is 1080p right? You want a 3GB+ card there, no doubt.

If you are ok with downgrading, the 960 seems to be your card of choice for your needs.

I'll look for that then. Is there any particular manufacturer worth mentioning or are all of them pretty much the same?

ps. I'm sorry for the noob questions, graphics is a pool I seldom wade into due to high prices and depreciation.

PCs are not an investment, so I would get over the depreciating aspects of it. :)

EVGA, ASUS, GIGA, MSI, all make solid cards.

Okay, in closing I would just like to clear up one thing; not considering other factors such as performance and cooling, is TDP directly correlated to heat output from any GPU? That a GPU with twice the TDP of another will produce twice as much heat?

I have come across this list, and Wikipedia says the 960 does 120W, as compared to my 280X's 250W.

Last edited:
Okay, in closing I would just like to clear up one thing; not considering other factors such as performance and cooling, is TDP directly correlated to heat output from any GPU? That a GPU with twice the TDP of another will produce twice as much heat?

Yes, that's correct.

The GTX 750Ti is 60W
The GTX 960 is 120W
The GTX 970 is 145W
The GTX 980 is 165W

Yes, that's correct.

The GTX 750Ti is 60W
The GTX 960 is 120W
The GTX 970 is 145W
The GTX 980 is 165W
+1

As I mentioned in post 3 (which is why I mentioned it and the flame/bonfire analaogy), your current card 280x/7970 is a 250W card versus what ATM posted above.

Thank you, guys. Must be said though; for the price R9 280Xs are going at (also, Asus' very competent cooler) it's incredibly hard to resist. And I'm not even a miner.

Meh, most of the cheap ones have been beaten on by miners and aren't with buying.

Back