• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program to test your gpu o/c ? R9 290

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Hey guys, im starting to mess around with the overclocking on my new PC I haven't overclocked a computer in like 5 years since I set my other pc to its max and kept it there for 7 years.

So im messing with my R9-290 Sapphire tri x o/c and the TRIXX software that comes with it, kinda sucks.. It seems to randomly cause the fan to shoot to 100% and one time I couldn't stop it so I had to reboot.. I blame the software as I never had that issue till I downloaded.. So can you guys recommend a better program ? As for what I have been using to test my GPU im using something called Benchmark valley.. With it I have gotten my GPU core to 1150mhz, and my memory to 1400mhz, using only a +50 VDDC so the core voltage is around 1.19-1.21v at least according to GPU-Z, fan speed at 70% and gpu temps got to 71c, and the VRM temps were around 65c.. However I noticed that benchmark valley only uses like 1gb of the memory so im not sure if its being stressed enough.. I have heard that furmark is the best one to use but I also heard stories to not use it because it can damage your card..

So yea any help would be appritiated

Msi afterburner and unigine valley are great tools for this. Valley is REALLY touchy on running overclocks.

Never use furmark!

Firestrike extreme would be the only benchmark I can think of thst really pushes a gpu safely, but its not free.

Another option is to down sample 4k and run valley at 4k.

Okay so then what I was doing was correct then, however the MSI program doesn't allow me to change the Voltage on the card.. The layout is very bling bling and shiny but makes it confusing.. I couldn't find anything to enable me to change the vcore... Hmm.. I just played the witcher 3 for like 4 hours tonight at 1150/1400 with only a tiny bump in voltage +50 itll probly do lower but I just jacked it to 50 to try it out.. And I raised the stock at least stock on my card power limit settings from 12 to 20.

Sapphires card apparently I have the newer version with 2x8pin power connectors and 6 phase power.. So it runs cooler and overclocks better. Going to see if I can get the core to 1200mhz now.. The extra 4-5 fps I got going from 1,000 to 1100mhz helps a lot when I use the NVidia hair setting.. I have to turn the tessalation down to 8 though but the jump from 45-50fps to 50-55 is nice. I don't notice any fps improvement though with more memory overclock just the core

Test with Unigine Heaven and Unigine Valley. They are both pretty stressful benchmarks to test for temps and stability. Don't worry about memory use.

Stay away from Furmark. It is considered a 'power virus' by AMD and NVIDIA and it can kill your card if you are not careful.

As far as TRixx goes, did you adjust the fan profile? Or set it manually? If you do not like Trixx, try EVGA Precision.

As far as AB goes, did you unlock voltage control in settings? Perhaps try that. ;)

Last edited:
Back