• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pre-Built Gaming Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p4rma

Registered
Hi,

I used to build my own PC's however, I haven't done that in a long time so I'm looking for a pre-built gaming PC. I haven't really been keeping an eye on the latest tech but from what I've read the 970 card is pretty good for playing games at maximum settings.

Does anyone know what PC would be good for playing GTA 5 and other games at 4k? Ideally I'd like to connect this to my 4k television.

Price range, well this is what I'm looking to see. I mean if it lasts me a good few years I'm willing to spend around £1000.

Thanks a lot
p4rma

You'll be a lot better off building another system yourself.

For 4K I recommend 2x GTX 980 as a minimum.

Build it yourself. :)

For 4K, I would wait a couple of weeks and see what AMD and NVIDIA have to offer with the 980Ti and 390x. At minimum there should be price drops on the GTX 980. At a high level I would go

Z97 based board
2x8GB DDR3 1866-2133Mhz ram
256GB SSD
PSU - Depends on the cards you get. But an EVGA Supernova G2 750W should be enough (again depends on the GPUs chosen).

That said, not sure that budget will cut it with needing 2 high end GPUs to run 4K...and this is assuming you have a case, windows, kb/mouse, etc...

Few things ...

- 1000L doesn't get you anything impressive pre built. Do it yourself or settle for signficantly less.
- 4k for 1000L is VERY ambitious...
- Guys, hes british and on a budget of 1000 pounds. Theres no "2 980s" here. Typically speaking, due to shipping and VAT, American prices in dollars = UK prices in pounds.

- Guys, hes british and on a budget of 1000 pounds. Theres no "2 980s" here. Typically speaking, due to shipping and VAT, American prices in dollars = UK prices in pounds.
Well aware! :)

That said, not sure that budget will cut it with needing 2 high end GPUs to run 4K...and this is assuming you have a case, windows, kb/mouse, etc...

Well aware that two 980's won't happen on a £1000 budget, but it's still good to inform someone that gaming at 4K takes a hellacious machine.

Last I checked when speaking in generalities you don't directly address the two people that posted before you.
But semantics are semantics.

It was to you two. And the OP, and also any one else that reads this thread. Don't take it personally :) I know you know what a 980 costs dude.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

So I could stretch my budget, like I said as long as it lasts a few years I can justify it. I would consider 2 x 980 however, like EarthDog said I may wait to see what new hardware is released. At least that way the existing products are bound to reduce in price.

I'll have to buy everything, from case to keyboard and mouse.

I would still stick with the shell i created for you above, but hold off on the GPU(s) and PSU until the new videocards are released and a choice is made there. You could be fine with EVGA GS650, or may need to jump up to EVGA G2 Supernova 850W depending on the cards. There are of course other PSU options out there, but these EVGAs are arguably the highest quality bang for the buck units out there today.

So I'm looking at the following for components;

Intel Core i7 4790K, 1150, Quad Core, 4GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo, 1250MHz GPU, Retail - BX80646I74790K
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard or Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII RANGER Motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro Kit x 2
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 x 2

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think that looks pretty nice. I wouldn't get two 8GB kits and instead would just get a single 16GB kit instead that is 2x8GB sticks.

A lot of people recommend the ASRock Extreme6 motherboard for price/options/performance for what it's worth.

I'd wait a couple of weeks on the gpu... but that's solid plus what jajust said about the motherboard.

I'd wait a couple of weeks on the gpu... but that's solid plus what jajust said about the motherboard.

Agreed on waiting a few weeks. With 980ti and 390X supposed to be launched soon it could only help prices

Hey, so it's been some time since I last looked at building a pc.

Does anyone know a website or have a template of a mid-to-high-range end gaming pc components?

Thanks

Overclockers.com? :p

Post a thread in the General hardware section with your budget, what parts you need/don't need, and your general uses for the PC. We can help you out. But we do not have a template, at least a modern one, handy.

EDIT: Didn't we already do that in this thread?????????????? Dont create another thread... we did this here friend!!!

Thanks Earthdog, yeah I don't want to create too many duplicate posts so I'll stick to this one.

So basically I'm happy to spend up to £2000, I'm feeling kinda lazy in regards to building myself however, if there is a significant saving I'd take this and possibly upgrade the hardware with the saving if possible.

The PC would be used for work (adobe packages, office etc) and gaming (4k, if possible). So I'd like a good graphics card. I'm not too concerned with monitors or any accessories only the essentials to build a PC so I'm open to looking at different options.

Thanks
p4rma

Well...

Not much changes from what we spec'd out honestly (see posts 12/13).

If you want to run 4K though, you will need 2 beefy video cards, not one. I would suggest 2 980's or 2 980 Ti's.

Back