• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Witcher 3 1080p screen, get 970 or 980?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

So, my 670 is getting long in the tooth, time to upgrade. I'll be playing Witcher 3 for now. Looking at the Oculus Rift early next year, the 970 is minimum for it. I have:

3750k CPU, can overclock somewhat (I have done it), stock right now
GTX 670 GPU
1000 W PSU
120 GB SSD
etc

Money isn't a big issue, should I get a 970 at minimum or a 980? And there are some nice overclocked 980's out there that are from reputable Manufacturers. Which exact one?

I await your input, I haven't been 'hitting the gaming' like I used to. I have read reviews and benchmarks about the 970/980 and bench results on Witcher 3, just looking for some 'in the know' info.

Go for the 980 for sure.
I run 5760x1080 on my 980 and it handles them great.

I'm partial to EVGA with their ACX cooler.

Also, good to see you around today :thup:

It definitely is, mine stays nice and cool even in an mITX case.

Could probably even catch a nice mail-in on a FTW edition.

Well, it's ordered. A FTW $530, stupid tax being Amazon, we have a shipping center in Nevada. And free W3 and Batman. Thanks, gonna be fun, I totally revere the Witcher series, even got a few books written by the famous Polish author that invented Garault in his books.

Thanks!

Sounds like some good value in the bundled games to me, and a great price up front too!

The game is great, though I'm only 32 hours in...damned work and life responsibilities. My 970 handles it great, I did turn off hariworks to get a more consistent frame rate but other than that, I run it at 1080p on ultra. Of course had money been no object, I would own a 980.

The game is great, though I'm only 32 hours in...damned work and life responsibilities. My 970 handles it great, I did turn off hariworks to get a more consistent frame rate but other than that, I run it at 1080p on ultra. Of course had money been no object, I would own a 980.

Thanks, I'll have to wait about 10 days to get the email for the game codes. I still have my Belkin Nostromo macros etc for W2, so setting it up should be easy. I'm very anal about having macros for gaming, it takes a long time to build from scratch.

I have a 27" monitor with Nvidia V2 3d glasses, I'll probably give that a try also. I haven't gamed in a game like this since W2 was out.

Back