• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new computer. Looking for cooling advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HotelSoap

So I recently bought some new parts to build a new computer (my current one is 5 years old and it's starting to show). The parts I bought, relevant to my question, were a Cooler Master Storm Trooper case, msi X99s sli plus motherboard (lga 2011 v3 socket type), and a Corsair h105 water cooler. I have almost everything installed and was bout to install the radiator and the fans in the top of the case, but it turns out there isn't enough space for both. The top of the motherboard interferes and I haven't got enough space to mount the fans to the radiator. So my question is should I try and get thinner fans that would fit? Should I go back and get the Corsair H100i for its smaller radiator? Or some other option that would be better? If anyone could let me know their thoughts on the best way to handle this so that I still get good cpu temps, that would be awesome. If there is any more detail you need to know, just ask and I'll respond as soon as I can. Thank you so much.

Well, you pretty much know your options... Get thinner fans (which will reduce performance of the cooler to some extent I would imagine as there is less static pressure on them), or get a smaller AIO, or get a different case that actually fits your cooling solution.

Full tower case. Should be enough room. Hmm. I reviewed a case . . . yes. A fractal design Define R5. It is a mid tower case, but set up so that a rad and its fans are offset to the left (looking from the front). There are other cases like that -- rad and fans can't interfere w/mb. So, try a different case.

Back