• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryno85

Hello everybody..

i need some input on a pc i'm building here are the specs

Msi gaming mobo
corsair carbide spec 01 case
intel i3 4160
corsair vengeance 8gb 1866 ram
cooler master seidon 120 v ( push pull )
Corsair cx 600 psu
wd black dual drive
msi gtx 960

Going to be playing rts and mmorpg
and sometimes fps crysis 3 and the witcher
AVG FPS?

Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome!

Seems fine to me overall. Perhaps its missing an SSD. My only question/curisity is there is an AIO cooler and have a locked (cant overclock much) CPU. The stock cooler would have been fine or Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO for $30.

As far as average FPS, that can be found by looking at reviews for your card/game... for example: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_960_G1_Gaming/14.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page4.html

GTX 960 isn't exactly a powerhouse card, but, it holds its own.

I bought that cm seidon 120v closed loop circuit cooler

- - - Updated - - -

will it be more efficient than a stock cooler

- - - Updated - - -

I mean keeping the cpu temps down for a start or am i missing the whole point oc that cooler

Yep. I was alluding to the fact that you don't need such a cooler for a locked CPU.

It is better than the stock cooler, yes. But the stock cooler is fine, particularly for a locked CPU. Could have saved you some money and put that towards and SSD for example. ;)

Ok cool, finally awesome advice that dual drive it had a 128gb ssd and 1tb hard drive or should i get a additional ssd for OS with a higher read and write speed?

YOU GUYS ROCK...I SHOULD HAVE JOINED THIS FORUM YEARS AGO!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I see, you have one of those Hybrid HDDs... Its better than a regular HDD in a lot of cases, but just not up to pure SSD speeds. Im sure you will be fine, but if I was starting over, I would have went pure SSD and HDD.

But the cpu and gpu would be fine for playing say advanced warfare on ultra setting running hdmi cable to 42 inch hd ready tv

I assume your 42" is 1920x1080 resolution (screen size is not relevant)? It should be ok. I would imagine there are reviews showing you how many FPS it gets. But it should be fine.

Thank you so much earthdog you helped me alot today thnx for spreading the knowledge ☺☺

Hi there.

The rig looks pretty good.

Just wanted to ask - are you going with 2x4GB or 1x8GB RAM? Because if you're not planning to upgrade it soon you can go with the dual RAM sticks since that way you'll get slightly faster performance.

As for the storage, the WD Black Dual is a very good drive and it's not a hybrid since it has two partitions (120GB SSD and 1TB HDD) which are fully accessible and separate volumes, and the SSD is not used for caching the drive. This is a different architecture since the hybrid drives blend HDD capacity with SSD speeds by placing traditional rotating platters and a small amount of high-speed flash memory on a single drive. Basically, a SSHD only has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files, which means that the files within that cache or so are accessed at SSD speeds while the rest are accessed at standard HDD speeds. Also, with hybrids you have no control over what the SSHD stores in its cache - the drive uses a built-in algorithm to determine which frequently used files it will cache.

And lastly about the average FPS in the games you mentioned, I cannot tell for sure how much exactly you can reach, but I think it should maintain above 30 FPS in the grass, especially if you low the details at high so you can have more stable FPS. However, like ryno85 wrote, you can take a look at some online reviews of this GPU.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

I'd go with an actual SSD and HDD instead of buying that pair from WD. It'll save you money.

Grab an 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Blue 1 TB for that kind of money.

Hi mighty miro 2x4gb and then later 2x4gb again since the gaming 3 has 4 ram slots. In regards to FPS just as long as the games dont stutter was tired of playing sc 2 on low so i thought lets build a good one while im at it.

Atm inside thanks for the advice will definitely look into it.

Back