• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA 2011 cooler on 2011v3, surface seems to small?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello there.

It has been a long time since i last played around with air cooling, but non the less, it shouldnt be that hard.

I am building an LGA2011v3 rig, and since i know that LGA2011 CPU's tend to be the same size and also use the same mounting, I figured, picking a cooler couldnt be that hard. I went for a decent one, nothing wild.

Cooler Master Hyper T4 : http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-t4/

Its set to fit LGA2011, so i figured it was okay to use on a Xeon with TDP 85w.

Now that i have everything, i have grown slightly concerned. The CPU is a Xeon E5-2620v3. The heatsink surface on the ihs just seems rather small? Will i be fine, or should i consider a different cooler?

2015-05-29 11.47.59 (Medium).jpg
2015-05-29 11.48.06 (Medium).jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Fan surface? Are you talking about the base of the heatsink that doesn't cover the entire IHS? That is a good question. With it being an 85W CPU that can't really overclock, I would imagine you should be ok. The CPU die is actually under the dead center of it.

Check temps but I think it will be fine. Core is much smaller anyways and IHS doesn't have to be covered in 100% even though it's highly recommended. This CPU is lower power and can't be overclocked so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's just fine. The actual area of the silicon is small compared to the area of the cap.

Back