• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using oem internal slim Blu-Ray drive in Dell Optiplex 780

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

So I got a Dell Optiplex 780 off ebay for cheap. missing dvd drive but thats ok, I wanted to get a Blu-Ray for it. (HTPC build)

I found this on ebay (link below) I know the drive should fit being a slim drive but worry if the connectors are correct and if the drivers will work for it.

The Optiplex 780 has sata connectors and this ROM drive does say sata. Hope it uses normal sata power connecters on the ROM.
Also hope the drives will work on this Optiplex 780, thinking windows 7 or 8.1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Blu-Ray-...393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463b34b3e9

Any advise?

Thanks Janus67 for the indepth research.

I'll have to check the desktop when get home to see if it has non-standard power connector coming off the psu but if it has an extra sata power connector, I can just use that.

From link:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Slimline-Compatible-Systems/dp/B006CRVA2C
^^^ I'm posstive that ROM is for my model Optiplex so yes it should work I hope!

So you believe the drivers would work fine for me?

Drivers would all be based on Windows, nothing to do if it is a 780/etc I can't imagine that being a problem. Worst case you can probably google the model # if by some tiny chance Windows doesn't figure it out itself.

don't know if your willing to but i have done it to one of these SFF dells before. take a sata power cable from something else and solder it onto the existing sata power connector setup in the dell.. did this for one when i wanted to do the same thing you are wanting to do. i wanted to add another hard drive where the floppy drive would be but there was no power wire to reach..

Drivers would all be based on Windows, nothing to do if it is a 780/etc I can't imagine that being a problem. Worst case you can probably google the model # if by some tiny chance Windows doesn't figure it out itself.

Got it, thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

don't know if your willing to but i have done it to one of these SFF dells before. take a sata power cable from something else and solder it onto the existing sata power connector setup in the dell.. did this for one when i wanted to do the same thing you are wanting to do. i wanted to add another hard drive where the floppy drive would be but there was no power wire to reach..

Thanks for the input. Thats important to know. Will be looking at the psu connectors more when I get home to see what I have.

Sorry to necro, but any tips on finding a similar blu ray drive? How did this end up working out?
Just got a 990 sff and want to throw a blu-ray drive in it.

Back