• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Path Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

merlin802

I am thinking about upgrading my pc but have been out of the pc technology world for a few years so would appreciate some advice.

As background, I don't really game with my pc so power wise what I currently have is sufficient, I really want to move to a smaller case and newer motherboard w/ USB 3 ports.

My current CPU is a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor and the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H. I have a pretty large RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WEBP ATX Mid Tower case.

Any suggestions on a smaller motherboard and case? (or if it would be better/cheaper to just start all over with a more powerful cpu/motherboard/case let me know that also).

Thanks!

What are you using the system for, just web browsing?
Can you provide your full system specs, similar to how my signature is shown?

What are you using the system for, just web browsing?
Can you provide your full system specs, similar to how my signature is shown?

I will get more detailed specs once I get home from work but I would say I do more than web browsing, for instance ripping blu-rays and streaming video. I can tell you I have 8GB of ram and a blu-ray burner but I will get more detail once I get home.

Thanks

Alright, that gives me a decent idea of the load you need.

Along with the extra details can you get an upgrade budget for us as well?
Don't want to go suggesting $100 of upgrades when you can do $500 and vice versa.

As far as budget, Probably looking to spend under $200 for a case and MB (unless you have a different suggestion)

Some more specs:

Intel SSDSA2CW080G3 80 GB Internal Solid State Drive (OS DRIVE)
Western Digital WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (640GB Storage Drive)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
8 GB DDR3-SDRAM
LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner

My thought was to get you into an mITX system (my gaming machine is 12"x12"x6" and runs 3x1080p).
That said, you won't do that without a CPU change. I don't know of any AM3/AM3+ mITX boards, and I sure as Hell wouldn't trust one.

You should be able to get into a decent mATX system, but that's only going to shave a few inches of height from the tower.

At the same time, I don't want to suggest a CPU that won't perform as well as what you currently are running.

Would you be opposed to selling your current motherboard/CPU to recoup some upgrade cost? That should net you $150 or a bit more.
Also, what PSU are you on and how old is it?

My thought was to get you into an mITX system (my gaming machine is 12"x12"x6" and runs 3x1080p).
That said, you won't do that without a CPU change. I don't know of any AM3/AM3+ mITX boards, and I sure as Hell wouldn't trust one.

You should be able to get into a decent mATX system, but that's only going to shave a few inches of height from the tower.

At the same time, I don't want to suggest a CPU that won't perform as well as what you currently are running.

Would you be opposed to selling your current motherboard/CPU to recoup some upgrade cost? That should net you $150 or a bit more.
Also, what PSU are you on and how old is it?

My PS is a fairly new 650 Watt Corsair I believe. My first preference would be to just replace the motherboard and case if possible, even if it doesn't allow a "mini" configuration, if I could at least go to a few inch smaller case it would help (my current case is a few inches too tall and a bit too wide to fit in the "cubby" that I would like to fit it in).

Thanks

What is the size of you're cubby you're trying to fit the tower in?

Considering that most mATX boards are 9.6"x9.6" you'll be hard pressed to find a case that fits in that space without going mITX.

A Bitfenix Phenom M might get you close, but it's going to be a heck of a squeeze.
A SilverStone Sugo SG11 should fit, but I think you'd have to turn it up on its side.
The SilverStone Sugo SG09 looks like it may fit, but it could be just a touch too tall.

Considering that most mATX boards are 9.6"x9.6" you'll be hard pressed to find a case that fits in that space without going mITX.

A Bitfenix Phenom M might get you close, but it's going to be a heck of a squeeze.
A SilverStone Sugo SG11 should fit, but I think you'd have to turn it up on its side.
The SilverStone Sugo SG09 looks like it may fit, but it could be just a touch too tall.

Thanks. If I did find an mATX case that fit my needs, is it likely to find a MB that is compatible with my cpu, ram, power supply, video card...etc?

Thanks. If I did find an mATX case that fit my needs, is it likely to find a MB that is compatible with my cpu, ram, power supply, video card...etc?

Finding the motherboard shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're not overclocking.

Finding the motherboard shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're not overclocking.

Thanks, I am thinking about upping my budget a bit and going this way for getting a smaller case that I like while also upgrading my pc. With a little adjusting of my space, I think this case would fit nicely. Any thoughts on this as a approx $330 upgrade?

i5 4590 processor - $160
Asus H971-plus LG! 1150 mini-ITX motherboard - $105
Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini-ITX Case - $45

I would keep my existing ram, PS, video card and blu-ray burner.

My guess is a MicroCenter, that's what they are listed there for. At least that's where I would buy a new CPU from.

Back