• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia GTX 980ti Review/Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
i think i want one as soon as asus releases the dcu3 version. i never wanted to spend over $500 on a card but damn it looks nice. right now i'm telling myself that cdprojekt is working on a witcher 3 enhanced edition and i'll need 6gb vram but i doubt i'll be able to stop myself from playing it for that long. WHATEVER IT'S SHINY AND I WANT IT.

It really does separate from the pack there. And it also makes me feel bad for most anyone that splurged on a TitanX now that this has essentially the same performance for 2/3 the price (and will likely have some aftermarket cooling options available soon as well).

It really does separate from the pack there. And it also makes me feel bad for most anyone that splurged on a TitanX now that this has essentially the same performance for 2/3 the price (and will likely have some aftermarket cooling options available soon as well).

Just another reason we've always told people not to go Titan for gaming on here.
The Titan is a purpose-built GPU. It's meant for computation, not quite the level that justifies spending 10K for a Quadro, and not for gaming.

i don't feel sorry for anyone that bought a titan. if they can afford it they're doing just fine. if they can't afford it they should have done some homework. the x doesn't even have a compute advantage. titan x is only for people with lots of high res monitors and $100 bills for toilet paper.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/

I only wonder what prices we will have in local stores for non-reference cards. $650 would be great but right now GTX980 cost ~$800 ( in Poland ) so I don't expect anything even close to that for Ti.

Performance comparing to Titan looks great. I was expecting bigger difference. Now we have to wait for AMD but I don't think they will show anything better ... and I don't mean only some FPS difference but general experience.

Last edited:
The real story here will be when will wee see better PCB's and power designs

nVidia reference is weak no matter how you cut it

I am eager to see when the MSI, eVGA and Asus enthusiast level cards show up and what they are capable of.

For some reason I'm not even waiting for MSI or non-Classified EVGA cards. Most their series from last years were pretty much disappointing. MSI is using warranty stickers on everything now and their Lightnings have often worse chips than even reference cards. EVGA non-Classified = reference. Classified = highly overpriced ( especially in EU ).
Gigabyte is sometimes weird. I don't like when they make their slightly modified PCB. Not much better than reference but not always compatible with "easy" mods or overclocking software.
ASUS DC2/Strix are overclocking good and cost not much more than reference cards.
Maybe Galax will show something interesting but they're almost impossible to get in central EU and if any store has them then cost like EVGA Classified.
Zotac is weird. I just don't trust their cards enough to spend $700+.

There are cards for gamers and extreme overclockers. If you want to go extreme then choice is really limited. It's almost only highest ASUS, EVGA and maybe Galax. Other brands have always some problems and you never know what you get. That's of course if you don't want to solder your brand new and expensive card, add phases etc.

I have had good and bad Lightnings and Classified

it is luck of the draw, Point being when you do get a good one it is nice to have a board that can push it

The DCII has always been a very strong design , I advocate for them when looking in a reference price range

I wish they binned these high end cards, but that just is not going to happen .......... :(

I have had good and bad Lightnings and Classified

it is luck of the draw, Point being when you do get a good one it is nice to have a board that can push it

The DCII has always been a very strong design , I advocate for them when looking in a reference price range

I wish they binned these high end cards, but that just is not going to happen .......... :(

A couple evga 980 and the g1 980 cards are binned... but the price reflects that...

GB cards are not binned ( or the really fail at binning ) the same as MSI or ASUS or any non-Classified EVGA. The only binned series which are showing that are EVGA Classified, ASUS Matrix and high Galax. Still you can find weaker cards but never below average. EVGA is also picking best memory chips for Classified. When market was out of Samsungs they were still putting only Samsung IC to their top cards.

All my G1 Gigabyte cards were much below average. All my cheaper GB series were quite good. Right now I have the cheapest GB GTX960 ITX which is going up to 1700MHz on water in some tests ( average still above 1600MHz ).

:O g1 is supposed to be Binned... but I guess it depends on how much they do that matters right?

If they are binned, they are binned to the meager factory clock increases and nkt more. That said I have never had a refernce model card not reach any AIBs clockspeeds.

I've never seen signs that the G1 was binned.

The models Woomack listed are the only ones I know of being binned as well.
And it showed when I had my 780 Classy.

Classy is the one I have my eye on. But no matter what one has to see what the 390x will bring to the table

Typically Vapors, DCII and Lightnings rule the roost

I've never seen signs that the G1 was binned.

The models Woomack listed are the only ones I know of being binned as well.
And it showed when I had my 780 Classy.

Literally almost every review of a g1 card mentions how it's binned....

How well is the question not if they do it.

Literally almost every review of a g1 card mentions how it's binned....

How well is the question not if they do it.

My point is that you look at how a G1 typically overclocks and it doesn't vary from what we typically see reference GPUs do.
Then you look at a Classified or similar and rarely see one with poor results.

All Gigabyte has to do to call it binned is verify that it runs stock clocks, as that's technically binning.
Other manufacturers do stock overclocks based on what GPU's can typically do, put in a factor of safety, then send them out.

My point is that you look at how a G1 typically overclocks and it doesn't vary from what we typically see reference GPUs do.
Then you look at a Classified or similar and rarely see one with poor results.

All Gigabyte has to do to call it binned is verify that it runs stock clocks, as that's technically binning.
Other manufacturers do stock overclocks based on what GPU's can typically do, put in a factor of safety, then send them out.

Not disagreeing with you at all boss. Just reflecting their claims is all.

Back