• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia GTX 980ti Review/Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree 6 Gigs seams to be cutting it dangerously close for a card of that price. If your buying one it's probably for 1440p +, and with higher resolution comes the desire for high res textures. We've already seen Shadow of Mordor hit that barrier, and it only uses FXAA.

I've been running 2gb (SLI w/ dual 680's) at 1440p the past 3 years with no problems. I turn down shadows to medium and I keep AA off since it's not needed at that resolution. Methinks 6gb will be fine for a few years!! don't be paranoid, buy a 980 ti and enjoy it-- mine will be here in a couple days Wahoo!

I NEED AA at that res... 4x MSAA. But that would be the reason you are ok. Most at that res prefer to use some form of AA like I do (mind you I prefer 8x at 1080p).

i'm a little jealous. let me know what the noise and temps are at default fan with max oc if you could!

I just watched a youtube video of Shadow of Mordor @ 6.7Gigs VRAM on a Titan X @ 1440p

I was considering a GTX 980 Ti for this 3440 x 1440p but it's looking like high resolution textures are gonna be a thing now, which makes perfect sense after all whats the point of having a high resolution display if you can't use high resolution textures........smoother edges? I'll be honest I was hoping for more than just smoother edges when I bought into 1440p.

If I'm gonna need to drop Texture Resolution in games, present or near future, I'll just stick with the GTX 970 ssc for that. Maybe I'm in a position where I have to buy a Titan X or wait for another generation of cards. (or maybe AMD will pull it off with an 8 gig card with the horse power for 1440p)

I just watched a youtube video of Shadow of Mordor @ 6.7Gigs VRAM on a Titan X @ 1440p

I was considering a GTX 980 Ti for this 3440 x 1440p but it's looking like high resolution textures are gonna be a thing now, which makes perfect sense after all whats the point of having a high resolution display if you can't use high resolution textures........smoother edges? I'll be honest I was hoping for more than just smoother edges when I bought into 1440p.

If I'm gonna need to drop Texture Resolution in games, present or near future, I'll just stick with the GTX 970 ssc for that. Maybe I'm in a position where I have to buy a Titan X or wait for another generation of cards. (or maybe AMD will pull it off with an 8 gig card with the horse power for 1440p)

While I'd generally be right behind you in the good fight for more VRAM, I want to throw an asterisk on the example you just used. Mordor's ultra pack is somewhat of a publicly stunt, in my opinion. Go look at all the comparison articles out there - there's an almost-inperceptible difference between high texture settings (which use 2.5-2.8 GB VRAM and look great) and the ultra textures (which use 5-6+ GB of VRAM).

To me it seems like they released the raw textures just to say they had something that could demolish current VRAM, even though they had the clearly-well-optimized high textures already in-game (that they and everyone else are happy with).

So I'd say a 6GB 980ti would be a very enjoyable experience on 1440p. The other options are the 12GB Titan X ($400 more for basically just the upgrade in VRAM), the 8GB 390x (less powerful I believe) or waiting until next year for 8+GB cards to come out that are more powerful than the 390x and/or less expensive than the Titan X.

Im currently running 2 970's...should i ditch those and pick up just 1 of these guys?

I'd say no as you are only at 1080p. 2x970 has higher performance than a single 980ti (assuming scaling in SLI, of course). Of course you have about half the VRAM of the card and overall a higher power draw, but I would say only if you were running into limits created by those last two points would I consider it.

I'm personally considering selling my 2x290x and getting a single 980ti as it will be plenty for 1440p for me.

I got my GTX 980 TI yesterday and I must say the cards is a beast. Playing games at max settings at 1080p, though. Especially msaa or ssaa

Does anyone know when the Hybrids are going to drop? They're out of stock/unavailable everywhere. BHPhoto estimates they'll be available July 15th, and every other site I've seen doesn't have a date listed.

Funny how every manufacture has a Gaming version of the card ?

As if the other cards not named gaming are for something else ???

Back