• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard choices................

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kameozero

Registered
hi all im making a new build and i have all my other parts sat at the side of me this is my build up to now cpu 5930k. gpu titan x evga version. ddr 4 vengance2400mhz. corsair h110 gtx water cooling case 780 T. 250gig SSD and well i have around 250GBP or 300$ ish to spend on the mother board the build is being used for gaming and streaming maybe a tiny bit of rendering.

so anyways heres my problem i looked at boards and benchmarks for gaming the msi boards seem to have the best lowest fps example the lowest fps in bf4 for the msi SLI S x99 is almost 10 fps better in games for the lowest fps benchmarks and about 2 or 3 less in the average fps benchmarks which dont mean as much i think but heres the thing theres so many features on some of the other boards ive looked at that im confused what to do im torn between gigabyte asus and msi these are the 3 boards i was thinking of but not sure which is best or if theres going to be much performance difference at all.

thehttp://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...-ddr4-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...133-sata-ii-3gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-e-a

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...r4-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-atx any help wud be great thx.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've done your research and it's just a matter of do you want a few more fps afforded by the MSI board or do you want the additional features offered by other brands. That's a decision we can't make for you. One piece of advice I would give is not to put too much weight on the professional reviews. What the average consumer experiences over time with a product is often quite different than what the professional reviewers say. Look at the customer reviews on NewEggg, for instance of each of those products. Even though you are in the UK and would not be purchasing the product from Egg the reviews are still valid. Don't take every review to heart because there are always a few tech idiot reviews for any product. But look for trends. And don't buy a product that doesn't have much of a customer review base to draw from.

also note that on many of the reviews of board that some of those board have mutli core enhancement enabled. so some board will be running at a faster clock speed than others. not sure why they dont just clock them all the same and make an apples to apples ordeal
on another note- I have been pleased with Asrock for my last several boards. no issues from the last 3 generations of z77-87-97

I just purchased and deployed an ASRock board myself and like it very much. Everything seems to work like it should for a change which is more than I can say for the last Gigabyte board and the last MSI board I purchased. Kameozero, another piece of advice I would give would be to not focus on just one dimension of a board purchase such as a little extra performance or color or layout or how many PCI-e 16 3x lanes it has. Get the best all around board. Performance reviews, as dejo implied, are very hard to interpret because of so many variables. In real life, the motherboard itself will have very little impact on performance compared to the things you add to it.

Last edited:
All X99 boards are performing about the same. Differences can be because of some bad BIOS version ( reviews were made on early releases ) but in general all are the same and all basic features are also the same. If you are not going to use sub 0 cooling then every motherboard will be the same and what counts the most are additional features, controllers ( SATA/M.2 ) or available ports ( number of USB 3.0/3.1 etc ).
Looking at X99 boards ( and some of my experience ) I would get the cheapest board or something from ASRock/ASUS. Gigabyte is maybe good but after last 5 RMA it's somehow not convincing me. MSI is good if you are looking for a cheap board but I wouldn't get their higher series. ASUS/ASRock seem good and I haven't heard about any special issues.

thanks all for the replys i think ill take ur advice asrock or asus it is thanks

ASRock was once a division of Asus. They used to produce OEM boards for them but eventually split off and formed their own company.

ASRock was once a division of Asus. They used to produce OEM boards for them but eventually split off and formed their own company.

And made quite a name for themselves. Many of their boards are very highly regarded as the best bang for the buck in many tiers.

Hello,

I would like to suggest the MSI Gaming 7 board, Rock solid and plenty of features, The cost isn't bad either.

ASRock was never division of ASUS. They were created as a separate company which was manufacturing motherboards in the same factory and that's all ( that's why similar naming ). Both were related to Pegatron Corporation which owned factory. ASUS had motherboards from 2 factories ( don't remember how other was called ) but the one which they were sharing with ASRock had much higher quality and later ASUS had only the highest mobo series from there. All cheap ( read worse ) series were from other factory. Differences were visible , especially when you had direct contact with PC support ( much higher RMA rate ). Finally ASUS moved all production to better quality factory and right now it looks much better in cheaper product lines.

If ASRock was only created to fill the gap in cheap mobo series then ASUS wouldn't keep most of their production under their mark releasing low quality mobos ( many even worse than early ASRock ).

Back to X99 boards. I can only say that cheap MSI are good because they're cheap but if you have more money then better invest it in some other brand. MSI had ( and I think they still have ) problems with BIOS and weird problems at higher bclk/memory overclocking. I just saw couple of boards with dead BIOS chips ( including 2x on my MSI X99 SLI ) what was caused by overclocking. I don't even mean anything extreme. The same on 3 different X99 models so clearly something isn't right.

I thought ASRock started as a division of ASUS soley purposed for building motherboards for OEMs. I want to say I read that somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere. That's certainly a different tune than I've heard for the past 3 or 4 years.

I see it often on the forums. People are spreading all that info but it's not 100% true. If you check it closer then ASRock was never OEM supplier. Foxconn was for Intel the same as some other brands. ASRock started as ASRock, there was nothing before that. They had different technologies and patents used in their boards since the beginning. Like all these weird boards with 2 sockers , mixed memory controllers, boards which were supporting CPUs that shouldn't even run on given chipsets. ASUS couldn't solve some issues with their hardware while ASRock could. The only problem was that they're targeting customers with lower budget so they had to cut costs. 4-5 years ago they moved to high end market and now many of their boards are better designed and generally higher quality than most other manufacturers are offering.

Back