• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation for a Xeon CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Someone wants me to built a computer for Architecture rendering and wants a Xeon processor. I've never worked with Xeon's, so what is a good CPU to start with? Thanks!

dja2k

Good question, but I don't know at the moment, though they are asking for a Geforce Titan $1000+ GPU, hmm. Also from the few I've read about Architecture rendering, I see they rely mostly on multiple GPU power instead of CPU.

dja2k

Need to know the program to make sure the premium of a Titan or Quadro is worth it.

Xeons are about the same as i7 but cost much more. There are no additional features except Registered ECC memory support which is not really important and is not supported on some ( if not most ) desktop motherboards. Xeon is also slower than i7 in the same price.
I wonder why someone want Xeon but doesn't think about Quadro graphics. Titan is desktop graphics card but probably still much faster than it's required. GTX980Ti is about to be released so if software can use multi gpu config then maybe 2 of them ( or GTX980 ) will be better idea and a cheaper CPU to balance costs.
All depends for what it will be used as spending money on theoretically fast hardware doesn't mean it will actually help in work. Software has to support all hardware features to bring any profit.

Thanks guys as soon as I get the software info they use, I will give an update to see what you all recommend.

Okay I heard back from them and they said they use 3D Max and V-Ray.

dja2k

I'll take a look at what those programs prefer when I get home from running errands this evening.

Definitely want to stick to nVidia here, as 3ds Max takes advantage of CUDA.
V-Ray can also run CUDA, and they've tested it on many GeForce GPU's.

Make sure they see this:
http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3/GPU+Rendering#

I see no reason for a Quadro here since, a 980 would be awesome.
Even while using the GPU though, there's a lot of CPU rendering still happening.

That said, this would be my suggestion since I don't know a budget:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zDjk3C

Okay thanks! I talked to them and got them to go Pentium instead of Xeon, but they won't let go of having a Titan video card, I don't know why. Seems they have more budget than what I thought, so I think maybe we can double the RAM to 64GB, add at least an 850w PSU, and if they want their Titan, go with a Titan Black if I can find one. I will see what happens, maybe they are going over their heads on this machine.

dja2k

Last edited:
...Pentium? What?

Go TitanX, its newest.
64GB, just add another kit of what I had shown.
Unless they plan on multi GPU don't bother changing the PSU.

Oops I meant i7 and thanks!

dja2k

Just making sure :)

There are times I would suggest a Xeon, but this isn't one.
It'd just be paying more for a processor with features that won't get used.

I figured they would get scared with the final price. Now looks like they might be backing off the Titan. I am also thinking, wouldn't a Hyper 212 EVO be sufficient if no OC is done?

dja2k

A 212 EVO would be sufficient.
Also look at the NH-U12S, it'll be much quieter than the EVO.

The 980 or 980Ti would be a great option for this, suggest that to cut cost from the Titan.

Yes I recommended the gtx 980. Just waiting on them to reply and pretty sure they'll go that route.

dja2k

I just barely heard back from them and now they want a Quadro K4200. The just released Geforce GTX 980Ti is a better option for them, so I told them that.

dja2k

Last edited:
Back