• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help in my first custom water loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

Hi....

I've Sli'd my GTX 680 recently... and I've noticed a significant increase in the top (original) card temperature, it is hitting 90+ underload regardless of installing 2 more fans on the side panel next to it... which made any overclocking of the card impossible :(

so that's it, lets custom cool it :D

I've got the only custom fit for FTW GTX 680 (EK-FC680 GTX FTW - Nickel Water Block)

for the cpu, I got EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block , and since I experienced issues with northbridge overheating when overclocked, I got also the complete chipset\mosfet for my P8z77 from watercool heatkiller.

I'm going for 2 loops cpu,chipset and MOSFET alone.... and GFX Cards in the other loop
the reservoir & cooler combinations I'm about to choose are the XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25" Reservoir/Pump Combo with Two Laing DDC.
and currently, I have my eyes on the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 280mm radiator, which fits my case perfectly.

my questions are:
* Is it possible to merge the 2 loops' (hot water) in one radiator? i.e. 2 loops, one radiator setup? and is that ok for cooling & temps?
* If not, I've got no space in my case and might need to setup a second radiator outside of the case, any ideas? are there any fixing tools\setup for sale anywhere?
* are splitters safe to use? can they affect the performance of the loop?

I don't think that will be enough rad for all those components. Like has been already asked, what case are you planning on putting this in? And if planning on sharing radiators between loops, you might as well just do the whole thing on one loop.
But you will need more rad for all that heat.
If there for sure is no room inside the case, you can always mount a rad box to the rear 120mm exhaust fan, and hang another rad off there.

I see that case has room for 2x 120mm fans at the top, and 2x 120mm fans in the front. Could you maybe put a 120.2 rad in the top, and a second one in the front? And a rad box isn't used in place of the radiator, it is a place to mount a second radiator to the back of the case, on the outside.
And components look fine I think, however, I have never heard of those Intel boards needing mobo cooling, I thought they usually ran pretty cool, and those blocks can cause unnecessary restriction to the loop.

If I was getting that much heat.....I would get a case that can hold two 360 rads. Put that money that you would spend on the second pump/res towards a full size tower that can hold some rads. Set one rad in pull and the other in push so you get some good air flow too. That's just me.

Oh yeah, def do not need the second pump/res, I thought that I was reading it was a red with dual pumps. If you want to keep that case, try the two 120.2 rads, and if it ends up not being enough rad, another 120.1 rad could be put internally on the rear exhaust fan, or whatever size you like could be put hanging off the rear of the case on a rad box and front should be intake, rear and top should be exhaust.

guys, the reservoir\pump I'm going to buy is 2bay reservoir with dual pumps

If I understand correctly , you are suggesting using 1 pump and 2-3rads?
So far, I've got 1 cpu block, 3 mobo blocks and 2 gpu blocks... can one pump handle that?

IF I go in a large single loop plan , the layout I believe would be:
Res\Pump > CPU > Chip > mosfet1 > mosfet 2> rad1 (2.120) > gpu 1 > gpu 2 > rad2 (120)
can a single pump handle that?

two loops:
loop1: res\pump> cpu > chip>mosfet 1 > mosfet 2 >rad(280)
loop2: res\pump> gpu1 > gpu2 > rad (120 or 240)

Question:
Regarding this part:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...fc-terminal-dual-parallel-plexi/category/979/
Is it safe to use\give good flow? I'm planning to use it on the gpus....
and this one here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/koolance-hose-splitter-f-1-2-1-4.html
is what I'm thinking of using to do parallel on cpu\chipset&Mosfet but splitting the in part is easy, what about the out-part?

a good pump should be able to handle that.
and you want at least a 240 rad for 2 gpu's, and probably at least another 240 for the chip and board.
the splitter for the gpu's is good, but for the cpu and board, don't split it and go parallel, keep it in series.

That case is good enough for a 120.2 AIO cooler. Obviously you're going custom H20 and didn't think about that in the long run purchasing this case. Its ok as it happens to many. What you could do is a number of things as said before me.

First I would advise on sticking to a single loop and not going with a dual loop, especially when you don't have room for one but in most cases no one does anymore. Two loops won't get you that much better temps and it will add unnecessary costs to this build.

Your first choice would be to have 120.2 rads up top and remove the front HD cages and fan for a 120.2 rad there as well. Second choice would be modding the case as I have seen a few projects. Third, I will say your best bet is to add a MORA rad setup externally with your res and pump installed to the housing while using quick disconnects to and from your CPU + GPUs. Whichever route you decide to take, make sure you take measurements of everything including rad space and fans installed.

Last but not least, please take the time on reading our basics to water cooling and on how to maintain the loop. Would hate to see a new guy jump into this premium hobby and run into issues.

Hope to hear from you soon and :welcome: to OCFs.

ok, I took another look at the case...

there is a possibility to install another 240 rad in the front....
I need however, to remove the "x dock" as called in the user manual, which is one part with the 5.25 bays and is fixed with rivets... i will need to cut the cage with wire cutters or somethings

the result would be a 300x35 gap , the removed x dock will be replaced by tubes going in and out of the rad, 2x120 fan will be installed outside the case's front area
I will install a 240x30 rad there

KUYlKV.jpg
g83m4P.jpg

Don't forget to add the fans to the mix which is usually 25mm standard size.

So , I've got more questions :D :
1- since I got enough space for 2 rads 240... anyone supports an idea of 2 loops? (again the blocks are cpu, chipset, 2 mosfets, 2 gpus)
2- I didn't buy any fittings\connections yet, and I feel confused somewhat btw Acrylic and flexible tubing, I liked the tubings in this thread, but can't figure out how to (find) the joints.... most of the blocks I got are 1/4" and it seems I'm going to use 1/2" tubes
3- Do I need a bleeder?
4- Anything I need for easy maintenance in the future?

Why are you going to bother cooling the chipset/mosfets? Don't bother with an Intel unless you are aware it won't gain you anything, the blocks are generally restrictive, and it is just for looks.

CPU and GPU keep in one loop.

The water temp in the loop will be within a degree or two throughout the loop. No need to put a rad in between the CPU and GPU. Just put in whatever order makes most sense for the tubing.

OP, with all due respect, have a read of our water cooling stickies. We all have been through this process and is the right way to go along with things.

Thanks for the advise guys

one last thing, it turns out that the splitter I was planning to use for my gfx cards doesn't fit (gap btw PCIe slots must be 1.6" and on my motherboard it is 2.5+")
is it "ok" to use this? are there any adjustable SLI connectors?

Thanks for the advise guys

one last thing, it turns out that the splitter I was planning to use for my gfx cards doesn't fit (gap btw PCIe slots must be 1.6" and on my motherboard it is 2.5+")
is it "ok" to use this? are there any adjustable SLI connectors?

Again OP, with all due respect, have a read of our water cooling stickies. We all have been through this process and is the right way to go along with things.

You mean the electric SLI connector or the Water one? If the water one I'm sure you can buy the right one. Check with your GPU WC block manufacturer. Same thing with the Mobao maker, they sell the SLI connectors. And Series is fine for GPUs, parallel flow is 2% better for temps. Don't quote me, but yep, it don't matter.

And reading this thread, maybe you should just read a bit more. Read, not gloss, consider it a finals test for a $100k job. When you screw up and ruin $700 of parts, you'll understand. We have seen it happen. More than 10 times.

Back