• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NUC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
what is a NUC? yes I searched it.
here is one for sale, >>>>> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...plete-System-NUC5i3MYHE?p=7825769#post7825769 <<<<<.
why would I want it?
who would want and/or need one?
My little bee has a laptop, I spend over 5 large on it and I, for one hate laptops.
yes it's full custom and a friggen rocket.
would I look at one of these to replace it?
just looking for general information on these please.

I've always imagined office use would love these things. Low power consumption, small footprint, reliable intel performance. Seems great. For a home, I would use it for an htpc type thing.

HTPC usage. I ended up buying an HP Stream Mini for that purpose. Cost me less than $200 and is upgradable for RAM and storage and can run my netflix, browser, TV shows and movies from my NAS without any issues.

NUCs and SFF PCs in general are great for 'typical' computer usage these days. (browsing, email, video streaming, etc). Parents, grandparents, kids, schools, small scale offices, businesses. They're small, portable, light, efficient, and relatively powerful for their footprint.

so for her use, check her e mail once or twice a month, looking at facebook a little, this might be better than dragging out the laptop, running the cords (she is murder on batteries, they either stay plugged into the power cord forever or never get plugged in).
would they cool well enough to stay inside a closed cabinet all the time?

I would say no matter what you will need some place for the air to escape to.

I'd say get a hole saw and install a simple 140mm fan. Quiet and effective, can be invisible if you do it right.

Back