• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid6 or Raid60 when I grow to 14+ drives???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

I am looking at migrating (from a backup to externals and clean setup of a new larger array) to more drives... I understand Raid6 well, and Raid60 is new to me.

I am planning for 14 x 3Tb drives right now using one of the LSI9260-8i cards and an HP SAS expander (that I've not implemented until now) but plan to grow to perhaps 20 x 3Tb drives as required later.

I am thinking that maybe Raid6 isn't the right option, and I should be going to Raid60, although I have no need of any additional performance, just want to be sure that what I do have set up, is reliable.

The data pool is all images of machines and general downloaded drivers, iso's, etc, so nothing that cannot be lost as any actual data backups of my own PC's inhouse are just that... backups.

Value an experienced view please Team.

I would say that if performance isn't super important I don't see a reason to do raid60. You could do a zfs3 setup that would allow for triple redundancy (that's a lot of drives in a single array) if you wanted additional redundancy a raid61 could be used, but it sounds unnecessary from what you described.

Cheers for that.

Yeah... just got me wondering whether there is (considered to be) an upper limit for using Raid6 I guess... from what I could find, there isn't but running 20 drives in a single array, to me anyway, is a bit daunting.

Nice article.

Raid60 is starting to sound quite attractive... 14 x 3Tb drives gives me 28Tb useable space, which should be heaps, retains some speed and redundancy.

jw, but why is this thread in the classies?

This thread's in the Classies???? Say What?

Dammit! (he said with a blush)

Mods... please move me (with an apology) if my attempt to simply close it fails.

Last edited:
Mods... please move me (with an apology) if my attempt to simply close it fails.

I already alerted the mods to this before anyone even replied.
Don't worry about closing, it'll get moved over and then continue going :)

Back