• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the 390x cant take on 980TI or titanx in gaming performance scenarios than AMD is going to be in trouble or need to severely cut prices.
As it stands currently the 290X is competing in some things with the 980 (non TI).
So if the entirely new revision that is to be the 390X doesn't surpass that by a good % Margin than it will really have no place on the market unless severely price cutting nvidias offerings.

I hope AMD isnt just blowing smoke like they did with the bulldozer release.

Keep in mind it's already been reported that the 390X is NOT going to be AMD's flagship.

Just have to wait and see but it should be a power house and should compete with the 980TI. Only time will tell.

Keep in mind it's already been reported that the 390X is NOT going to be AMD's flagship.

I've only seen reports that the 390X would be AMD's flagship GPU.

Fury and fury x are supposed to be flagship while 390x is rebrand...(see links qbove)

...rumors.

Well I guess we'll see if that information holds true ($850 for Fury X) which would have to destroy the 980ti for that price.

I bet it will do some damage at 4k with all that memory bandwidth...

Not sure what it will look like at mere mortal resolutions. I'm hoping it will beat the 980ti though by at least 10%, but I am not holding my breath.

Yeah, I don't think they had it in mind that the 980ti at $650 would come within 3% of the TitanX.

Yeah, I don't think they had it in mind that the 980ti at $650 would come within 3% of the TitanX.

I'm thinking nVidia knows more than we do. Why else would they destroy potential Titan X sales and price a near identical performing card so low. Doubt it's because nVidia was feeling generous. Buying a new GPU in the next 2 weeks is very foolish, IMO.

Here's hoping AMD gives nVidia a run for their money in this round.

looking at 980TI's at microcenter in Atlanta, $699, but none in stock, thank goodness.
That will make me wait a bit.

that's in joysey, I just got back from there Monday and as nasty as some of the people were there I don't need to go back.......
the only non blower card is out of stock.........

just not used to g.d. and m.f. being any part of business vocabulary.

Last edited:
I'm thinking nVidia knows more than we do. Why else would they destroy potential Titan X sales and price a near identical performing card so low. Doubt it's because nVidia was feeling generous. Buying a new GPU in the next 2 weeks is very foolish, IMO.

Here's hoping AMD gives nVidia a run for their money in this round.

I was referring to AMD not thinking the 980ti would hit the points that it would, not nVidia. :)

as a dual 290x owner in xfire.
I have a hard time wanting a new set of gpu's
the only way id buy new is if the 390x or what ever the new flagship is was atleast 50% faster than a single 290x and cooler running also.

at that point if it was 50% faster per card and used less watts then i might buy some for a Crossfire setup.

but if its not atleast 50% i cant see the point.

the only way id buy new is if the 390x or what ever the new flagship is was atleast 50% faster than a single 290x and cooler running also.

at that point if it was 50% faster per card and used less watts then i might buy some for a Crossfire setup.

It may very well be if the flop performance is indicative...

In the same boat. My xfire 290xs are still better (assuming scaling exists for the game) than a single 980ti. Although I'd love to move back to a single card.

Back