• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been reading up on the 300 series and there has been more information floating around recently. Apparently the majority of the 3XX series, including the R9 390X will be older architecture. The R9 390X is apparently a R9 290X 8GB card, and the lower end cards are also older generations. The new architecture with HBM memory will sit at the top as the R9 Fury and Fury X ( http://wccftech.com/amd-hbm-fury-x-fastest-world/ ). I've read that it will potentially cost more than a GTX 980 TI, but is currently a bit slower ( http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-fiji-xt-gpu-slower-gtx-980-ti/ ). I'm sure they will be working on a release day driver which will fix that issue, and apparently haven't set their final clock speeds and are expected to go higher. I'm guessing their price point has to be high on these cards as the cooling and memory are probably more expensive.

I'm guessing this is why they released the 980 TI, the Titan X sounds like it is too expensive to compete with the Fury X - especially seeing as it isn't nearly as exciting (nothing really new, no HBM memory, and lacking the computing performance of the previous Titans).

It's not a refr3sh, the 390x... it is completely new architecture. There is a thread or two on it floating around here...

It has hbm, and will have 4gb out of the gate according to the latest rumors.

Edit: fury x... yes. Lol! 390x may be refresh.

I'll just say that it will be pretty disappointing if the only card that isn't a refresh from the previous multiple years is a $700+ card

Yeah, I was looking for a new line of cards with the new architecture, at least on the proc. I can see not using the new HBM mem for the lower end of their GPU line. The thing I don't like already is it doesn't appear like they worked on power savings, if they call for a 700w minimum PSU for a single FuryX card I can only imagine what the power drain might be, of course this is all conjecture layered in mystery topped by so much butthurt that no one is above adding their of spices to the mix. I guess we'll see what the fuss was all about on June 16th ( I think that's the date AMD said they would release).

I want it now, I mean if I had any patience I would be a doctor for cryin out load!

Amd has confirmed the 390x to get 4gb initially with a tentative release of the 8gb card around august.

Given specs and name changes, I'm still under the impression the 390x IS the "Radeon fury", with the 380x being a 290x 8gb refresh. I think wires got crossed somewhere.

Speculative release price of the 8gb hbm model is supposedly around d 800$. That would place the 4gb card right around 650, but since the 980ti is 650, I think amd would have more sense to lower the cost. All speculation naturally, just what I personally think is going on.

ohhhhh, but stink!!!!
I had hopes of buying a Maxwell killing amd card.
I'll wait it out and see, but I feel like a 980TI is still in my future

I just stole this from TPU seems they have pricing and chips in this table

AMD-Radeon-300-Price-Leak-GPUv2.jpg

^ Those look like some nice prices, but I wonder how accurate they are, I mean if those listed are all just rebranded 2xx series, not much has changed unless they did something else to them, let's (I'm cringing as I say this) "Wait and See".

Yeah , my 260x is a Bonaire core. I had thought they had pretty well maxed this puppy out already. With my current budget I guess I'll have to be content with my $99 card. Those prices look pretty good , though having to break the $400 mark for the new stuff is a little disappointing. :(

If you believe the chart I put up then the 390/x is a new chip initially with 4Gb and a 8Gb variant supposedly in august. This does follow their previous record. The 380(tonga) was a fairly new addition in the 285 so possibly some refinement and improvements there as well maybe it wasn't released as a full chip?? I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the compute units( 1/3) weren't active in the 285.We really won't know till we start seeing something in the market.

I don't know what to believe honestly. The latest I heard was Fury/Fury X are new architecture while the 390x are (sadly) rebrands.

285 turns into a 290 when fully enabled, wouldn't it?

If all the AMD rumours were true your Haswell would be playing catchup with my FX.

They are a marketing machine...Lip service.... all talk...

We will find out soon enough though. ;)

I do have to wonder if those prices are even close to accurate, does that mean AMD spent 2 years developing a chip that doesn't quite add up to the 980Ti?? I swear I heard a while back that they were going to be asking closer to the $1k mark for their highend card. Then we see this.

If the 390x is the hbm model for 480$, the 980ti is toast lol. I don't think that chart is correct, no 380x on there either.

That said it's labeling the 390x as grenada, so basically a factory overclocked 290x 8gb for 480$ wouldn't work either.

Maybe just getting rid of the X naming convention below the highest end (then will add it later for in-betweeners?) 380 would be a re-badged 290x? Although I'm unsure what the 2GB 380 would be, as the 290x/290/285 are all 4GB cards and the 280x and 280 are both 3gb cards. 270x and below are generally 2GB cards, but that is a huge drop.

Back