• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fury x performs the same as a 980 ti within 2-3 fps i have 2 980ti's and they are the best cards i ever bought, amazing cards max out bf4 at 4k resolution with everything on max hbao and so on at a constant 80 fps minimum, even on 64 player servers amazing cards but fury is not week at only 2-3 fps slower but is that 2-3 fps worth the extra 70$ that the 980ti costs i wont go near amd because ive never had so many problems with graphics drivers as ive had with them, but maybe some people have had no problems anyways heres a video showing performance.

The 980Ti does not cost $70 more, it is the same price at $650, and not only that but more like 10-20 fps difference across the range of games at standard 2560x1440 res, 4K is the only area they trade blows.
(Source: HardOCP)

That's the biggest problem, AMD promised something to blow away the competition, specifically the 980Ti. They even released "internal benchmarks" that supposedly showed the FuryX dominating the 980Ti. Why would you get a non overclockable hot card when the competition has one that not only beats it, but is better all-around?

FuryX is not bad at all, but AMD picked a fight with a card they thought they could beat and simply fell short. If AMD had it directly competing with the 980, which is where it belongs, things would have been different.

Last edited:
bro unless u show me a video i dont beleve it u do realize that companys online are bias aka they are either sponsored by nivida or amd to say what they are told show me a youtube video proving what u said otherwise your opinion is just that an opinion

- - - Updated - - -

thats the fury performing the same in 1440p as 980ti within 2-3 fps just like i said gg bro dont beleve everything u read online

- - - Updated - - -

there are also bad youtubers who have sponsors and also do the same as the website u have shown they are bias digital foundry has no sponsor therefor he has no bias your source hard ocp is a lieing bias numty lol

its been confirmed that 10% increase in fps is what ull see from dx12 ready cards aka 900 series/titan x

In all games, or DX12 games?
If the latter, then it's pretty much irrelevant. There will be new lines of cards out by the time there is a decent number of DX12 games available.

bro unless u show me a video i dont beleve it u do realize that companys online are bias aka they are either sponsored by nivida or amd to say what they are told show me a youtube video proving what u said otherwise your opinion is just that an opinion

- - - Updated - - -

thats the fury performing the same in 1440p as 980ti within 2-3 fps just like i said gg bro dont beleve everything u read online

- - - Updated - - -

there are also bad youtubers who have sponsors and also do the same as the website u have shown they are bias digital foundry has no sponsor therefor he has no bias your source hard ocp is a lieing bias numty lol

Purely your opinion, but gg bro? lol... My friend, please don't bring any of that 12yr old kiddie console gamer attitude here, we are here to provide quality information to each other.

As for your video... Yea, I think you can ask the majority of the members here, [H], XS and so on, youtube videos are a general no-go when trying to provide factually reviewed information. HardOCP is also going to be far far more trustworthy over random youtubers. I suggest you look around at the quality review sites and compare the relative data between them to come to a proper conclusion.

For future reference, please use autocorrect, because it is simply atrocious reading your posts.

We have 6 months till the first DX12 games hit the market. There will be new cards from both camps NEXT YEAR that will provide better DX12 support. Anyone purchasing a 980Ti or FuryX should NOT take DX12 into consideration. It means nothing at this point.

The 980Ti IS the faster card and reference versions are going on sale for $20 cheaper than the FuryX with more overclocking headroom. It seems like a no brainer to me. The only people who are buying up the FuryX cards are people who dont care about performance:dollar ratio. Might as well go grab Bulldozer 8 core cpu while you are at it.

The 980Ti does not cost $70 more, it is the same price at $650, and not only that but more like 10-20 fps difference across the range of games at standard 2560x1440 res, 4K is the only area they trade blows.
(Source: HardOCP)

On paper price is the same - $650 but in real it's not the same. In central EU difference is about $50-120 ( depends from store ) between Fury X and GTX980Ti. Fury X is cheaper and both are reference cards. $650 is price for 1k pcs without vat/duty costs, shipping and distribution margin. In US it's manufacturer -> store , in EU it's manufacturer -> 2-5 distributors -> retail store + tax etc so difference in price is higher for customer.

Fury X is a good card but the same as GTX980Ti it supposed to cost less. Both AMD and Nvidia are bumping prices without reason. Potential users are willing to pay $700+ for cards like that so why not ... but we went from $300-400 range for high end graphics which could run everything at max details to $1k cards which can barely handle max details in high resolution. It's also game developers fault as they don't care to optimize games and save money where they shouldn't. Most games will work on even older cards in high details but new titles usually require ridiculous amount of memory while they are not looking so good. Not to mention that most games have problems with stability or visual effects what require many patches ( no beta tests or what ? ).

Is it me, or is it ironic that someone posted dont believe what you read in the internet then quotes someone from the internet...

EDIT: Though I'm sure this link will be dismissed as just something from thre internet. Here is one showing an averge of 5% difference at 1440p across 21 ((TWENTY ONE)) games... and that is taking away project cars. In certain few titles it may be as fast... others not so much.

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/31.html

Last edited:
That's true, I was looking at the U.S market not the EU or others.

UK pricing is equal for both the Fury X and 980TI across major online vendors (such as Scan, OCUK, Aria) for the reference design, I guess it depends on where you live.

Is it me, or is it ironic that someone posted dont believe what you read in the internet then quotes someone from the internet...

EDIT: Though I'm sure this link will be dismissed as just something from thread internet. Here is one showing an averge of 5% difference at 1440p across 21 ((TWENTY ONE)) games... and that is taking away project cars. In certain few titles it may be as fast... others not so much.

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/31.html
No ED it's only accurate if it's a video...get your stuff together man! :p Thanks for the link, it was interesting to look through.

I have to say I would be pretty disappointed if I bought a card that I could only get a 10% Oc out of in respect to the Fury X.

As an overclocker, that is a kick in the pants. Hopefully with time they can make that happen on the ram and gpu.

EarthDog, I'm not sure. Joe Macri's claim that the Fury X is a great OCer just does not bear out so far. Very hard to recommend it over a GTX980TI at the same price.

It had plenty of overclocking headroom thermally is what he said. When I talked with Joe (looked over my notes recently), I specifically asked him about overclocking and he mentioned that it would depend on the silicon but they were seeing upwards of 100 Mhz on the CPU. Not a ton. I dont recall a mention or me asking about the memory overclocking.

The 980Ti overclocks to around 1400mhz. Which is an extremely high overclock vs. its reference 1000mhz design. You can get they hybrid 980Ti from evga. It cost about 100$ more but it is still better to spend that 100$ for the overclock potential over the fury x. If you are looking into dual GPU I would wait for Fury X2 though. That is where the design will shine. Fury X vs. Hybrid 980Ti price points seem at least to me a bit more reasonable. You pay a little more for the HBM though. I would have liked to see Fury X at least 50$ cheaper though unless the overclocking becomes better than the at best 100mhz we are seeing from the cards.

Fury X isn't bad but AMD delayed premiere ( over half year ) made from it just an average product for the price. Again they missed their chance to shine.

I appreciate the article from TT to see the scaling. The 1440p scaling was pretty mediocre but 4k did very well. I also agree with their assessment that needing to use and plan for installing two of their cards with dual radiator installation is a huge pain in the butt and overall further pushes someone to dual 980ti if they are going dual card, I guess unless they go custom water.

Back