• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards from AMD in two weeks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are, but it would likely involve coding it into your engine instead of using what nVidia/AMD can provide to you.

Could this be why there aren't many Fury/Fury X cards for sale? They're just going into volume production now, a month after the launch. :confused:

It's not even funny to see how AMD is working lately. Fury was planned for the end of last year ( before Christmas ) , later moved to first days of January ( CES ) some time later it supposed to appear near Cebit ( March or something ) and they released it after Computex ... and still have only limited production.
They lost their chance to sell new products about 3 times since we heard about new graphics cards. All are waiting for new cards for nearly 2 years and they release product which wasn't even tested right ( faulty pumps etc ).

Honest question about that opinion: Is there a way to implement those effects into games brandlessly? I know that using physx or hairworks in a game, when turned on, will favor a Nvidia card, and similar with AMD and it's branded tech...but I like those features. Physx, et al., is a great addition to the gameplay experience in an absolute sense (Who wouldn't want those things if they didn't cost anything). However, I'm aware that they can cost a good bit of performance, and that the impact is usually skewed towards one card developer or the other. Is there any way to keep those kinds of feature sets without making them branded tech?

Here is a list of all companies that have implemented OpenCL......... https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opencl .........
^^If you LOOK CLOSELY at the list, AMD has had opencl capabilities on the CPU since the PII x4 955 AND INTEL CPU'S with x86_64 SSE2 ^^
^^If you LOOK CLOSELY at the list, INTEL did not have opencl capabilities on the CPU until theirs supported SSE4-1 ^^
If you download Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer, AMD has put Physics X (through software) onto their CPU'S.
AMD has already stated that Mantle will no longer be developed as MS Dx12 already has (AFIK like 90%) most of it included.
The other stuff like TrussFX I have no idea :(

OOOps. I meant NVidia's physx. I speld it wrong :)
Like I mentioned previously, AMD has put NVidia's PhysX capabilities (through software) onto their CPU's. I would say that if you used it, that would be a very big hit in performance :(

When Joe Macri of AMD made the statement about the OCing ability, what was he thinking???? Apparently, Wizard, who wrote the article is the writer of GPU-Z and Sapphire Trixx so I would think his credentials are pretty good. Ireally wonder if Mr. Macri even OC'd a Fury X/Fury or simply talked to one of the engineers who did. There is some Ocing room but my goodness the heat and power increase tremendously.

I now have a single GTX980TI in my rig below and it OCs much better even at stock voltage.

I know AMD wanted to make a splash with the Fury and they have shown a strong chip. I think their media event prior to it was just a little too much hype.

When Joe Macri of AMD made the statement about the OCing ability, what was he thinking????
As was mentioned before, thermal headroom was what he was he was talking about. The cooler can handle up to 500W. In the presentation he said that at the end of discussing the cooler. I also talked with him and confirmed it was thermal headroom, but he did say it will clock well, whatever that meant. ;)

As was mentioned before, thermal headroom was what he was he was talking about. The cooler can handle up to 500W. In the presentation he said that at the end of discussing the cooler. I also talked with him and confirmed it was thermal headroom, but he did say it will clock well, whatever that meant. ;)

I think he got "caught up in the moment". We all have probably done that in our life. Unfortunately, the evidence, so far, does not show the Fury to be an Overclocker in the same way as the GTX980TI, regardless of cooler.

That is correct, but the statement was about thermal headroom, not specific overclocking ability. That statement alone was taken out of context.

People in marketing will always tell you that something is great even though they have no idea what are they talking about. I just see it all the time also personally talking with PR representatives of various manufacturers.
One of the biggest jokes was a guy from MSI who on overclocking "party" in Poland said straight that he has no idea what overclocking is about and he didn't know how to describe their products designed for overclocking ( Lightning cards etc ). Could at least read info from their website ;)

That is correct, but the statement was about thermal headroom, not specific overclocking ability. That statement alone was taken out of context.
Earthdog, I took off work and watched the AMD feed live AND heard what Joe Macri said and just now googled and found the clip. His statement was NOT taken out of context. He said, in part it is an overclocker's dream. Nothing about thermal headroom etc. Sorry, but he either had a much different chip or he was "stretching" it a bit. I'm not trying to beat up Joe Macri but I think his "enthusiasm" for the Fury X release may have caused him to "misspeak" When you say "overclocker's dream" (his words) I would think it overclocks well.

Wizard's ability to write software to enable overclocking and his testing of the Fury X in overclocked states seems to show that it will overclock;however, the results are nearer to a nightmare than a dream.

Last edited:
I was there. Perhaps I need a refresh, but... it was right after they talked about the cooler. I also asked him to confirm in the deep dive. SO yeah, maybe he got too excited on stage, but it was at least MEANT under the guise of thermal headroom( his words to me that same day).

Finally seeing a few in stock at Newegg and even one base Fury at my local Microcenter store.

Back