• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best motherboard for i7-4790k with GTX 650 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PlatinumG911

My latest build got toasted by an old bad PSU and I am looking to create a new build.

I am planning on getting an i7-4790k and I am going to use my old GPU which is an nVidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti. So I am looking to find a good motherboard that would pair greatly with both of those. I want multiple PCI slots to ad another GPU in the future.

The 650 ti is relatively ancient. I'd say go cost effective on a z97 motherboard and put money away for a better gpu if you game.

Otherwise yeah. The extreme 6 is the "go to" motherboard around d these parts. What's your budget? These things go from 40$ to over 400$ lol

I use 2 extreme 9 boards with a 4790k, great boards, a little overkill on features, so the 6 would do you fine.

My budget would be around $400 considering the cpu itself is $338. So for the motherboard I think $60 to $100 would be the budget.

I'm curious what PSU you're putting into the new build.

Yeah don't skimp out on the PSU, EVER, I don't care if it's a 430w PSU (GTX 650 isn't a hungry card so it'd probably sit with that CPU fine though you may want to do some calculations on that) Just don't get some low end PSU. Silverstone and corsair are good ones, I'd always recommend corsair were applicable(If they have available form factor), plus a few more... Also DO NOT get a PSU based off of "peak wattage" It may have a peak wattage of 500w but only a continues 300w and exceeding 300w for long terms will kill the PSU. Corsair rates most if not all PSUs based on continues wattage, some PSUs of theirs don't even mention peak.

To be clear, get a lower end CPU if you must in order to get a strong PSU. I don't know what you're computing needs are but if gaming is you're most intensive task a dual core Pentium will push a 650 ti to the floor plenty well enough and can be had in the same socket type as the i7 you want for only $40 to $60, so later you could upgrade when $$$ permits.

To sum it up:

- Buy a good board
- Buy a strong PSU
- Buy a cheap CPU that's compatible with your i7
- upgrade as time and money permits

But this is just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently purchased a I7-4790K with the MSI gaming 7 board and to be honest this pairing was the best value. The MSI gaming boards are really feature packed and they seem to be a very solid board. Microcenter had board I believe was a Gaming 8 or 9 board, Saw that after I had bought the Gaming 7. Anyway solid board to run with this chip. As for PSU's I have to agree with everyone, DON'T buy a cheap or under powered PSU, When you pay over 600.00 for a processor and board, not to mention the GPU and memory, I wouldn't chance losing it all with a sorry PSU, just because it was cheap. Better to save your money and Pay to get the best PSU that is recommended on this site.

Back