• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is there no QVL for power supplies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Just wondering about this. Seems like it would help keep people off from getting the likes of the illustrious "Diablotek" monstrosities lol

Because there's an 80+ spec they're supposed to follow that regulates voltage and ripple requirements.
Problem is, just like anything that gets tested, they make the pre production test model better than the retail model.

Because there's an 80+ spec they're supposed to follow that regulates voltage and ripple requirements.
Problem is, just like anything that gets tested, they make the pre production test model better than the retail model.

I thought 80+ only verified efficiency under load; not necessarily ripple or amperage requirements no?

Sorry, that's correct.

The ATX spec determines regulation and ripple.

I think it's probably more of a matter of that there are so many different system builds and usages, that there's no real way for any hardware manufacturer to determine the best PSU option for the system their hardware is going into.

I think that the better way to help the uninformed make better decisions on their PSUs is to build a website that shows up first in search engines when things like "best PSU for my system" are queried. This website would then ask for core component specifics, determine the required wattage, and recommend a few known good PSUs at that wattage with and without modular cables and at various efficiency ratings for the consumer to decide on, complete with links to the cheapest e-tailer.

Lotta work though...

Something like this? I mean it gets you in the ballpark considering power needed, gives a couple of suggestions. I found it useful at least.

QVL stands for Qualified Vendor List. I'm not sure a psu calculator is going to tell you anything but how much wattage one will need. The problem would still remain... getting a QUALITY PSU.

Anyway, a QVL list doesn't list QUALITY sticks. Memory is memory is memory. If it says it will run x speed with x timings it will do that. PSUs on the other hand, a completely different story. Most any PSU will power most any system, but the quality on PSU'S cleary vary dramatically.

So in short, a QVL list as defined will not help users get their hands on quality PSUs, just ones that work with the hardware... as 99.9% will (proper wattage be damned).

Last edited:
I just figured after all this time, amd, intel, or nvidia would partner with someone. "Nvidia recommends EVGA power supplies for effective performance" or some nonsense like that. Maybe qvl was too broad to say I suppose

I just figured after all this time, amd, intel, or nvidia would partner with someone. "Nvidia recommends EVGA power supplies for effective performance" or some nonsense like that. Maybe qvl was too broad to say I suppose

Then you get into blanket statement issues.

Back