• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assistance please installing GPUPi.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I've attempted to install GPUPi onto my 24/7 Win7-64bit OS and was unable to get it to run. I've read the 2 lengthy threads on GPUPi, but could not follow how to get it to install. I'm sure I'm just missing a step or something possibly the C++ thing.

Anyhow, I'm doing a fresh install of a stripped Win7-64 (BZ's to be precise) and would like some assistance please. I have downloaded GPUPi 2.0, 2.1 Legacy and 2.1. Also AMD SDK for win 64 bit. I will be running this on my i7-4790k with an HD7950 GPU for starters. Lets see what else do you need to know? I'm a great artist when painting a paint-by-numbers picture so please be descriptive if you can.

Thanks.

this could be an interesting thread. I could prolly use some help as well, there is something that I am missing. Or its just that mem timings make a rather decent difference.

when testing earlier I have found that memory speed does help in some places but better timings help in others and timings win out overall

FTR BZ's stripped version of Win7-64 does not allow the .net 4.X to install which is required for AMD Catalyst drivers. :( Resorting to my personal stripped version.

Update: I now have Win7-64bit installed with the AMD 13.12 driver. I also have the 3 versions of GPUPi from HWBot. 2.0, 2.1 Legacy and 2.1. In each folder is 3 application files, GPUPI, GPUPI_CUDA and GPUPI_OPENCL. I've tried opening all 9 files and receive the same error (see below). I'm stuck now and need your assistance please. TYIA.

View attachment 164519

You only want version 2.1, no legacy and no 2.0

That msg is because 2013 c++ redist is missing.

Go here
https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread
and install EverythinG that is there where vit says " Which drivers do I need for OpenCL?",
maybe intel iris won't install, thats fine. Also make sure you have the 2013 c++ redist installed. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Legacy is to allow CUDA support on Windows XP and needs c++ 2012 to run.

You should be able to run it on that cpu and that gpu .

Last edited:
You only want version 2.1, no legacy and no 2.0

That msg is because 2013 c++ redist is missing.

Go here
https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread
and install EverythinG that is there where vit says " Which drivers do I need for OpenCL?",
maybe intel iris won't install, thats fine. Also make sure you have the 2013 c++ redist installed. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Legacy is to allow CUDA support on Windows XP and needs c++ 2012 to run.

You should be able to run it on that cpu and that gpu .
Devlos has you covered here Blaylock just make sure you download the "vcredist_64.exe to run GPUPI_x64.exe (64 bit)." assuming you're using a 64 bit version of Win 7

OK I got the C++ redistribute along with the 2.1.1 version. It runs now but I get this error with any calculation. I tried installing the Iris also but it failed as you expected.

Any idea?

View attachment 164545

What's the "View problem details" say?

If it's "BEX" that's Data Execution Prevention killing the program.
Shut that off via msconfig.

OK I got the C++ redistribute along with the 2.1.1 version. It runs now but I get this error with any calculation. I tried installing the Iris also but it failed as you expected.

Any idea?

View attachment 164545
I was getting the same error Blaylock after setting it up on a new Win 7 lite version I've been working on. It was happening when I changed the batch size with the Intel Open Cl 15.1 driver. After I uninstalled the Intel 15.1 driver and installed the Amd App SDK open Cl driver the error went away. I have also found the the Intel chips run the bench significantly faster with the AMD open Cl driver then with the Intel 15.1 open Cl driver.

EDIT: I just noticed you're trying to run the Gpu here Blaylock, it could be a Graphics driver issue?!?!

Last edited:
Unstable OC.

I will repeat it ... Unstable OC.
The only other reason is if you don't have enough memory and try to run too big batch but it shouldn't happen on settings from screenshot.

Some chips are unstable even on stock clocks but I think it's gpupi fault.

Ok finally ahad a little time to play again. Just to check a few settings. I reset the UEFI to defaults and set my ram to the SPD settings but still at 1600. I tried running it at 1m 16 and 1m 64 and 1m 128 for the CPU and GPU. I get the same results. Fail within a sec. I hope this rules out the OC as it's as stock as it gets. Woomack hinted that it could be GPUPi. will this system not be able to run GPUPi? Very frustrating to say the least.

View attachment 164639

View attachment 164640

View attachment 164641

I have a new install of 7 and its doing the same thing when running open cl with 4m and 512, but runs fine with 1m and 16. other os runs just fine with bios setting all the same

hmmm, maybe I'll try a full version of win7-64. Not sure what else to do here.

Did you try it at the default Batch Size and Reduction, I also only had my issues which seems to be gone running a stripped version of Win 7

try some different ram or give the ram a little more volts... but then its happening on the gpu too sooooo.....:confused::shrug:

I've tried multiple batch sizes and reductions all with the same results. I could try different ram but to be honest this ram has been solid all the way up above 2400 and this last batch of testing was at 1600 (below)stock. In fact the SPD voltage for that speed is listed at 1.50v and I had it at 1.65v.

What's the "View problem details" say?

If it's "BEX" that's Data Execution Prevention killing the program.
Shut that off via msconfig.

Not sure how I missed this but I'll give it a try.

I DID try to set the bcdedit /enum clock thingy to "yes" per the link listed by Dev earlier and GPi wouldn't even fully load. So I had to set that back.

hmmmm

UPDATE:

I dropped GPUPi onto my Vista-32bit benching drive and it ran fine. Not a great run mind you but it ran. So my thinking is either there's something wrong with my stripped win7-64 or possibly the C++ install did't go well. either way I think I'm going to try Silvers recommendation and if it still doesn't work I'm going to do a full reinstall.

View attachment 164675

EDIT:

DAMN I thought I had it. I didn't have the proper OpenCL Runtime installed. Downloaded and installed 15.1 and got this option.

View attachment 164676

But it still died at the end, but this time it made it to the end so I think I'm close. Here is the "View Details" page.

View attachment 164677
View attachment 164678

Last edited:
Did you try running it with the AMD option instead of the Intel OpenCL ? It actually runs better.

Back