• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 upgrade to 8350/70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think the desktop SKUs will be out tben. I mean broadwell desktop cpus havent been released yet and it is approaching july. I don't believe that to be true.

If you see...

...see the mobile skylakes releasing the end of Sept 2015, then you can suppose the desktop skylakes are not too far behind. Then the only fly in the ointment seems the K processors will be preceded by the locked cpus first.

RGone...

They will be a couple months behind... at the end of Q4 I would imagine. Broadwell's mobile processors were released a couple months ago too... and we will just see the desktop variants shortly.

I had a 920 at 4GHz and I didn't bother upgrading it until Haskell (4770K) and even that was only borderline worth it IMO.

Thanks to Windows 10 buggy/fail updates and just in general corruption....wigged out In the middle of Bios update for the 970 Killer...gpu driver stopped responding/display corruption/black screen/freeze....
Yeah it's Bricked big time.

The better question is why were you doing a BIOS update in Windows?

I know haha

I guess I will try to get another chip going for it? see what happens

Which board is it?
You mentioned a 970 Killer earlier, but I'm only aware of a 990FX Killer and a 970 Fatality.

Check your manual or asrock for an alternate flash mehod like AMIflash or award they all have something but you'll need a flash drive

Seen some are saying could very well do a Hot Flash attempt?

You need another working board to make that. I did this one time, used P5Q to flash bios chip from P5KC with enginnering version of afudos, Worked fine :)

Just reviving a thread to say that the i7-920 was/is a hot beast, but a beast nonetheless. I recently had troubles with it in playing Hitman 2016 with a HD6870, but instead of buying anything, I just cranked the CPU up from 2.6 to 3.7 ghz. The D0 stepping on the chip required minimal volts and this boost helps me manage until I get out of grad school and being poor in 3 months.

I wouldnt go for it, this CPU is 4 years old. if you really want a good cpu go for Intel's Core I5 4690k Haswell CPU, cause its way cheaper than Skylake's I5 6600K.
Also your mobo should support DDR3 so no need to buy RAM.

I wouldnt go for it, this CPU is 4 years old. if you really want a good cpu go for Intel's Core I5 4690k Haswell CPU, cause its way cheaper than Skylake's I5 6600K.
Also your mobo should support DDR3 so no need to buy RAM.

Way cheaper? Last time I looked it was only about $20 difference.

i would have slapped a hex core in that motherboard and called it a day. the xeon X5560 comes to mind, when i get time my RIIG will get the bios updated and the x5560 slapped in. btw the i got that cpu for $70, great deal for a hex core cpu.

Way cheaper? Last time I looked it was only about $20 difference.

You get better performance for the price, Plus he said he want to OC the CPU, so its way cooler than the FX that means that he'll need to spend less on CPU cooler

You get better performance for the price, Plus he said he want to OC the CPU, so its way cooler than the FX that means that he'll need to spend less on CPU cooler

You were referencing the 4690K and 6600K pricing in the post I quoted, which is what my post had context toward.

Back