• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long time senior member. New build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Realistically........not worth it to upgrade everything.
Get a 980 and you'll be good. :thup:
Even a 970 for that matter.

Agreed. Id get a better gpu and wait until Skylake hits the shelves at the end of this year.

From the Sig looks like he has two Raedon 6970s in crossfire. Not sure if one GTX 970 would be better or not. Probably would depend on if the games he runs can use Crossfire well.

Dominick32, your Sig could use some serious work as far as visibility is concerned. Very hard to make out.

Agreed. Id get a better gpu and wait until Skylake hits the shelves at the end of this year.
Yup. Read my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

From the Sig looks like he has two Raedon 6970s in crossfire. Not sure if one GTX 970 would be better or not. Probably would depend on if the games he runs can use Crossfire well.

From a power/heat standpoint a single 970 or 980 wins.

you said budget was no issue so.....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($208.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($113.40 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($402.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked Video Card ($669.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($89.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1935.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 04:09 EDT-0400

Don't beat on me for that SSD ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies fellas. All of your responses have mimicked my opinion for the last couple of years. My 3770k @4.5 , and my crossfire 6970's have never had anything been able to pounce on them yet for my own gaming needs . So not only have I been crazy busy in my life but I've been very mehh with newer cpu updates . And in my honest opinion the 6970s are just such a powerful duo in crossfire that I haven't even seen anything mind blowing that would make me upgrade unless I wanted to get rid of all the heat from the two cards and just put a single card in eventually. Which 100% be my goal in my next build to get rid of the dual cards.

Thanks guys. Waiting for Skylake it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate your moral support. But I haven't changed my sig layout over here in 10 years. The light color text is just an inside joke between myself and another senior member . Thanks for your advice though.

As an FYI, you use the dark theme, but I believe the forum default is the light theme? Thus making it unreadable for a lot of people (not asking/suggesting you to change it, just letting you know why he sees/doesn't see that).

Earthdog. No worries. Bro. You made moderator ??? Lol wow it's been a long time for me over here. So cool to see some familiar names .still around . Let me know what would be a better text color for me to change my sig so that everyone can see?

I got lucky..or is it unlucky?? :)

I can see it on the dark, and I can see it on the light themed forum easily too (crappy monitor at the office - not like I have a calibrated IPS or anything).

I wouldn't worry about it, and will likely clean up these posts about it too. :)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($402.98 @ Newegg)

Don't beat on me for that SSD ;)

Is that because you know it's out of production and still recommending it? :p
That's the reason it costs so much - the 850 EVO is out (and better) and the 840 stock is low enough that people who want one are going to have to pay for it.

850 EVO 1TB ($378 @ amazon/newegg)

Also I'd take a peek at the Cooler Master Nepton series of AIO CPU coolers in addition to the Corsair H-series (which are great too).

Last edited:
Back