• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan at 3500 rpm & Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yash037

Hello All,

I took my graphic card, Sapphire R7 260X 2GB OC 2xDVI out to clean it. When I put it back, its fan was doing 3500 rpm when the temperature itself was 30 degree. Today, I re dismounted it to see what's wrong and when I tried it again, this time, the fan was not rotating. And I repeated this step once again and it is doing 3500rpm again. I have doubt that the PWM part of the fan is broken.

Note: In AMD Overdrive, Sapphire TriXXX and MSI Afterburner, the fan is displayed to be rotating 20% of its power.

Do you guys think that a Fan Controller will be helpful? What do you think of this one?

In my understanding with this fan controller, the fan will be connected to it and the fan controller will be connected to my graphic card. Is it so?

If the PWM part on the fan is broken, how will a controller help?

Graphics card fans are not your typical setup either so the typical 4 pin PWM header will likely not fit. You would have to splice it.

Is that card out of warranty or something? If not, I would RMA it.

It is still in warranty but shipping cost is quite high. Why pay that much if you can solve it with less bucks?
With that fan controller, I would be changing the voltage between 5v and 12v. But as I said, I'm not sure if it is truly the PWM part of the fan is damaged.

So you can pay a premium to RMA, or you can throw less bucks at it which may/may not solve the problem? I would rather pay more for a sure fix.

Does your motherboard have a PWM header on it that would accept the GPU header (doubtful as I said, I believe the headers on a GPU are different from the standard 4 pin PWN for fans).

My motherboard is the Asus P8H61 M LX Plus and it has connections only for CPU fan and 3 pin chassis fan.

Back