• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Think I May Have Accidentally Fried My MOBO -- Maybe Something Else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

Long story short. I temporarily used a DVDRW then unplugged it. Realized my fans weren't going a week later (idiot move for not noticing on my part). Plugged in the cpu fan manually into the molar. It worked, the other fans didn't. I figure out, "oh, it's because I don't have the fan controller pins plugged in... I must have moved them while using the DVDRW." So I plugged the fan controller into the MOBO and tried to start the computer. I heard a click. Nothing... Then I realized I had the fan controller cord connected to the motherboard and to the molar cable from the PSU. Fried MOBO?

It worked 5 minutes before I did this... Ugh. I'm hoping nothing important (my HDD or SSD) fried.

EDIT:

I feel it may also be worth mentioning that the computer has been randomly freezing lately (to the point of me having to crash it). It may have been also randomly turning off, but that could also be from storms around my area or something (it only happened when I wasn't home)

Last edited:
UPDATE:

After some fiddling, it doesn't seem to be entirely logical. I assume the MOBO or PSU is failing, because plugging stuff in and taking it out trial and error style was hit and miss. For example: I took out the graphic card and it worked. Plugged it back in and it worked. Then added fan controllers and it didn't work. Then took only the fan controllers out (back to step 2 when it worked) and it didn't work. It does seem to always work when no fans, case audio/usb ports, and no graphics cards are plugged in though.

Changed the modular slots used on the PSU, because I figured that couldn't hurt and am currently getting all of my important data off.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
unplug your fans from controller and leave controller plugged in.. does it work?

possibly fans shorting?

How many fans are you running off the fan controller and what is the sum their collective amperage draw? I understand you to say from your first post that the fan controller is being powered off the motherboard, correct? If so, it would be easy to overload that motherboard component. Most motherboard fan headers are rated for a max of 1 amp draw. It would be much better to power the controller off the PSU.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! After continued fiddling I realized my fan controller wasn't plugged into the front of my case (it was hidden so I didn't notice). Stupid mistake. That said, I am still concerned about the random shut offs and freezes, but perhaps they can be explained by my CPU not having a fan? Further, I am also still concerned about why my computer wouldn't start earlier when everything was unplugged... Are there any good tests for MOBO and PSU I can do without taking apart parts and putting them back together?

With a multimeter you can test the PSU voltages but it needs to be done under load. There is a sticky in the PSU section of the forum explaining how to do this. The rest of the stuff I'm afraid can only be done practically by swapping out parts with known good ones.

Back