• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

Rig in question is in the sig. I know that the 290x's can run up to 90c (I still shudder to think they would last long at those temps), but how long would it be safe to run these cards folding at say 70-80c? I'm just doing some air tests before I install the water loop, for baselines and ... well the hell of it. I'd like to run the system for a few days on air then start the tear down, but if it's ill advised to run the GPUs at those temps for 24-48 hours straight I'll shorten the tests, I figure I can kill a couple of birds while doin this, get the needed points for the team and jump ahead of as many people as quickly as I can :D

Also the FX-4350 really sucks at folding :mad: Oh well!

yea, fx bites in lots of ways.
on the 290 I had folding for a bit I set the fan at about 75%, got rid of it for the noise.
it was a blower card.
set the fan to keep it around 60 and you should be fine.
you might even try under volting it with sapphire trixx.

My 280x's (all 9 of them) plus my 7970's run between 70-85c and have been fine. The parts around them keep crashing but the cards are fine.

damn, 9 gpus, whats that electric bill like?

I tried to under-volt them with asus gpu tweak, but it doesn't seem to want to take on both cards. Think that Saph trixx will work with Asus cards? I have been playin with settings through CCC and it seems to work, but one card runs cooler than the other at same settings. I just dropped the clock -5% and power setting -5% set mem at 5000mhz and manual fan speed at 100%, the DirectCU II aren't too loud, but I would like to lower them some more. I guess it will take some more playin around to get things where I want them.

After looking at HWInfo it doesn't appear to have taken affect using CCC either. More playin around in my future I guess.

you do have to select each card and set and apply to each card.
the card in slot #1 will always run hotter.

Yeah, after some thought on the matter, I realized the first would be warmer cause I'm still using the computer to surf and view stuff, and that might be why it's PPD is showing it will be less than the second card.

I mined on my Radeons for months, literally non stop. No downtime.

Best temps I saw were 65C window wide open, -30C outside.
They usually mined at about 82-87C all day.

Now they fold.
7850 is usually at 77C, 270 is at 58C all day. (poor airflow for the crappy cooler on the 7850)

Both run fine still :)

With the case all closed up and fans on the curve I set for gaming it kept them at 78c this afternoon, not bad considering it was 80f in the house, this old house has some bad insulation and it's hard for the AC to keep it cool unless we never shut it off, but that's just to pricey each month. It's nice and cool in here at night, so the temps will be lower, 68c and 60c. I could never get the clock to change for some reason, but using power target and dropping voltage seemed to drop about 100w of draw from my UPS, so that will be nice, and strangely enough the 2nd card got a nice WU worth 80k and it est. 280k PPD, the 1st card is in the 190k PPD, but I'm busy checking stuff on the web. Will see what it looks like in the morning.

These cards do so much better than the I7 3820QM I was playin with last week, it could only manage 12k PPD but was heating up my laptop something fierce.

Back