• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 17?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

What's with these things, they have big payouts, but they take forever to finish. I read some where (probably here and can't find of course) how to avoid these. I think I would have to install a different OS if memory serves right, is there not a way to avoid these in Windows?

On a slightly different topic, I said in another thread that the AMD really sucks at folding, I still hold those words true, but why does running my CPU drop PPD for my GPUs so much? I ran it over night and it just destroyed the progress my GPUs were doing, does it have something to do with technical stuff I probably won't understand anyways? I should be fair also, I did increase the priority (Advanced settings) for the CPU when this happened, but I don't imagine that made much of a difference, or would it?

does it have something to do with technical stuff I probably won't understand anyways? .

yes it does, and fx still sux at folding, stop that and do not do it again.
stop complaining about ox 17 they pay good ppd, I'm getting strings of 18's on my maxwell and it's killing the ppd, they run quick but 17 pays better.

Each gpu slot needs a cpu thread/core. For a folding rig with quad core cpu and one gpu, you would set the cpu slot to 3 cpu/threads, leaving one core/thread for the gpu slot.

does it have something to do with technical stuff I probably won't understand anyways? .

yes it does, and fx still sux at folding, stop that and do not do it again.
stop complaining about ox 17 they pay good ppd, I'm getting strings of 18's on my maxwell and it's killing the ppd, they run quick but 17 pays better.

yes sir, Im sorry :cry:

@HayesK Sorta of what I thought, but for some reason I couldn't think of how to ask that, I wasn't thinking of it as simply as that, I was thinking it had more to do with the lanes from the CPU to the GPU and such, not just the cores need to be free for them to route info to the GPU, would explain why running at a lower priority it doesn't affect he GPU as much, but still lowers it.

That's right CD I ran the CPU some more, but not now, I like big numbers and not getting told NO! like I did something wrong :D No more PCU folding on FX.

I don't think I've seen an 18 on my 290 yet, found a nice spread sheet though. Spreadsheet

I keep picking up 9105's, core 18 core about 250.000 ppd on my 970.
I'm thinking I'll throw my 2 280x cards at some tonight.

The 9000 PRCG core 17 are good for like 250k PPD but when they kick up the 10000 PRCG core 17 it drops the PPD to 210k. I know I haven't been folding long enough on this machine to really see the averages, I'm just curious what some of these projects are? I would be interested to know which proteins they are they binding or whatever it is they are doing, the viewer is nifty for 5 secs. Does choosing a "Cause Preference" make any difference in anything?

Don't throw them in there for too long; one day I want to catch up to you (preferably before I die). :thup:

I think you can click on the number and it will take you to a site that will give you some of the info you are looking for.
saturday I am going to try to get to microcenter and pick up another 970, keep you and my buddy subpar behind and start to make a scratch or two in hayesK.

on fx folding, they are just such power hogs for the low throughput.
a good example of this is my 8350 on the floor to my left, 8350 @5.3, chv-f-z, 32 gigs of ram, hammering all 8 cores with a massive computation, 7850 doing nothing, the poor little kill-o-watt is showing 425 watts right now.

Thank you, I don't know why I never clicked on the project number before, lol.

And H01y (use your imagination) your not kidding about power hog, I mean my two 290x and surfing the web are drawing 600ish from my UPS. Not sure how accurate, it jumps around from 500-630 but mostly under 600.

If you are looking @ the 280X for folding, try to get the ASUS DC II TOP R9 280X. As long as she has good air flow, you can hit 1165-1175 core and 1700-1725 on memory. The Max Heat they can take is 63c before they start dropping WU's because of errors.I currently have 4 folding, did have 7 going in winter:)
I currently own a : Sapphire R9 280X Dual X OC, Sapphire R9 280X Vapor X OC, Sapphire R9 280X Toxic OC, XFX R9 280X Black Double D, HIS R9 280X Boost Edition, and 2 Asus R9 280X DC II TOP Edition. The Sapphire R9 280X Dual X OC will not do more that 1125 core 1550 memory without overheating:( The XFX is the best (I got a lemon) when she want's to run(which is very few) and can do 1175 core and 1725 memory:( The Sapphire R9 280X Vapor X OC is good @ 1150 core 1650 memory but she loves eating though fans:(
The HIS is rocking at 1135 core and 1600 memory, can do more but this keep's her at 48c-52c = WU 9201 BC 8000 PPD 166255. The Sapphire R9 280X Toxic is the 1st edition, this has the VRM temps disabled:( She is rocking at 1165 core 1700 memory temp 55c = WU 10468 BC 14939 PPD 192162. The 2 ASUS cards are at 1150 core 1700 memory temp 55c = WU 10466 BC 7819 PPD 172190 and 1150 core 1700 memory temp 48c = WU 9201 BC 8000 PPD 171883
TOTAL PPD with just 4 280X is 702094. In winter when I had all 7 going, I was pulling 1.3Kw from the wall.

Last edited:
I thought I read that the memory wasn't a large factor in GPU WU's I'll have to find that article again. Your power usage isn't really that bad for 7 cards OC'd, at least I don't think so. I know I won't be able to do much during the summer, but come winter I'd really like to have more going, Found out more family suffers from differeing diseases, so it might not be much of a help right now, but I'm sure the number we are crunching will be a help to future generations, so it's a good investment to me, plus I think I can write it of as a charitable contribution, not sure, but that might be a nice help also to get more parts to add more crunching (and the bragging rights are just a bonus :D)

sorry took me so long to get back here, been having issues with a gpu, but it might of been sorted, or so I hope.

This is aimed more at the 2P & 4P folder's. I have been out of that area for over 2 1/2 years, right after they started saying that the BA WU where going to change.
I don't know if the WU # are still the same 8101-8105???
Do you know if these use single precision or double precision???
If it's DP..... you can almost cut your time in half.

Here's is how I increase my DP performance on my FX 8370 CPU:)

I don't have a screen shot but I uninstalled the video driver and the AMD APP from the chipset. I reinstalled the 13.9 driver, OpenCL 1.1 but this is before my 290X so no video driver
I ran GPUPI 100M and increased my time from 25sec to 16sec.

Back