• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi guys, I have two 580 GTX in SLI. I would like to upgrade to an AMD (EVGA preferably) card, one card, I find SLI/Crossfire is way too big in the case, so I attached my scores in jpg format and I'd like to know what I have to get to beat those scores, and how overclockable the card is. I'm looking at 770x or 780x, but the 780 is already expensive as heck, but how much of a boost in performance am I looking at over my 2 580 GTXs? Also, with my setup (sig), the CPU and RAM will not bottleneck anything right?

These latest results are with an overclock of the GPUs of +70 on the clock and +120 on the memory. From stock that was about a 10% increase that you see in the JPG, the stock numbers were lower by 10% or so. I also included my system info from Futuremark (for some reason my RAM says it;s running at 1600 but it's definitely running at 1833, it says so in bios, in cpu-z and in speccy, so I don't get that, but who cares I guess.

Oh, one more thing, the drivers I'm using are the latest ones I can run, any update to any newer driver crashes my computer, even while watching a movie, let alone a game, within a minute, even with a voltage increase etc. I don't get that either, but it's part of the reason I want to upgrade, but more important is I want only one Video card, and I want an AMD card since I run an AMD system, and this is my first NVidia card.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 3dmarkresults.jpg
    3dmarkresults.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 3dmarksysteminfo.JPG
    3dmarksysteminfo.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 92
here are runs with an Intel [email protected] on EVGA GTX970SSC@stock clocks. OS is Windows10 with no tweaks to help score. Know that cpu does help all of these test as well
GTX 970 generally overclock like crazy as well results1.jpg results-gtx970.jpg

I can't believe that a 280x is only as good as two 580gtx's, so what am I looking at then as an upgrade? 290? Would that do? I mean, that is already in the $400 range, as is the nvidia card the poster above recommended. So a 280 (no x) is useless compared to my setup.. argh..

That's fine.. Gigabyte or MSI or whatever will do.. So no setup with an AMD(ATI) cards with one card in the $200 range will beat my SLI 580 GTX combo? That's hard to believe.. Or even around $250.. I'll take NVidia recommendations too, but no SLI.

If you can find a 290/290X around that price it'd probably beat your current setup. There's a 290X in the classifieds now for that price that might be a good pick, although HIS doesn't do transferable warranties as far as I know (not to mention shipping to your location).
If you want a card with a transferable warranty and you intend to buy used you'd want a MSI, ASUS, or Gigabyte card.

SLI 580's will beat a single 280X but at a significantly higher power usage:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/584?vs=618 (this is a 7970ghz edition but it's basically a 280X)

A 290/290X comfortably beats a 280X so you should see a single 290/290X match or beat your current setup for less power and heat:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1031

Note that the 290 figures shown are for the reference models and current drivers & aftermarket coolers made huge performance improvements that aren't reflected in these benchmarks, so you'd actually see higher numbers in practice. Also you'd benefit from additional VRAM at higher resolutions since you're currently capped at the 580's 1.5GB which is mirrored, not doubled, in SLI.

A 970 would also be a good choice for around the same performance with notably less power usage, although the prices are higher. A 780/ti would be close to your current setup or higher, and a 770 isn't too far below your current setup. I wouldn't suggest a 960 if the price difference for a 290 isn't much more - again I'd suggest trying to have the classified 290X shipped to you since it'd probably end up far below local prices if they're really $400 there. With local pricing though I'd almost suggest considering a 280X/380X or 960 since everything else seems significantly higher on Mwave.au.

Last edited:
Back