• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 9590 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MudBogger

Recently I built a pc, I picked out the FX 9590 because of its 5ghz turbo, and a ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard and a 1000 watt Corsair power supply, along with an Corsair H110i GT AIO cooler. which keeps my cpu around ~30-35C.

I was having issues with it not ever able to turbo past 4.9. I downloaded the latest AI Suite II from ASUS website and installed it, Ran the "fast" Auto tuning(overclocking) and barely got past 4.7(everything in the BIOS was set to auto minus the RAM speed which I changed manually), Then I ran the extreme auto tuning and managed to get just under 5ghz which is my goal, ran it like that for a couple days, tried to play Battlefield bad company 2 and it froze, everything did.... I did a hard shutdown and reloaded "stock" settings in the bios and everything is good once again....

So does anybody have any advice on getting a stable 5ghz? I'm new to overclocking which is why I let the ASUS software do it for me. But that didn't work...

Thank you for any help y'all may be able to provide me :)

Need better cooling for a 9590. They are basically electric fireplaces. :D

That said, do you have 2 fans in push/pull on your AIO cooler?

It's a 280mm AIO liquid cooler, even in cpu intensive tasks it never gets above 35 degrees, I just have the 2 140mm fans in push. everything i saw the cpu is fine if it's below 90.... and its way below that

It's a 280mm AIO liquid cooler, even in cpu intensive tasks it never gets above 35 degrees, I just have the 2 140mm fans in push. everything i saw the cpu is fine if it's below 90.... and its way below that
You need to keep the CPU at 62c or less at 100% load.
Your 35c temp is at idle. That means nothing.
Run Prime95 for an hour and tell us what your temp is while it's running.

The link below is to a thread with a board equally as competent with water cooling as the CHV-Z board is. He too had a rather entry level AiO cooler. You will find your results little different than his results.

Not a lot of sense in trying to REinvent the wheel. It is all pretty well spelled out in the linked thread below.

First manual overclock. FX-9590 Sabertooth 990x R2.0

RGone...

Remember, the higher temp rating is only guaranteed at stock clocks!

OC'ing, especially with a high percentage of Vcore overvolting, reportedly causes a phenomenon where the temp being higher than 60 C (140 F) can cause a randomly flipped bit and some CPUs, especially reported for old school AMDs, possible for the CPU going higher than 55 C (131 F) to cause a random bit flip!

(For example, my 2004 T-bred 2400+ KIXJB @ 2.4 ghz with 1.85V seems more likely to lock under Prime 95 when higher than 55 C)

This means that the more you OC and the more Vcore, possibly, the lower the max. stable CPU temp. will be.

Last edited:
My only suggestion here for any oc past 4.7ghz is to use the pstate voltage of 1.525v so you dont get under volt hangs.

I can tell you now, your cooler cant handle it.

Read through really good the link rgone posted. Got lots of good infos there.

In the end, stock with green on is going to serve you quite well. If you get all cores at 4.8ghz with no turbo, your only gain will be heat.

Hot, heat, more hot more heat, cant add required voltage, still just adds heat.

Hot. Very. Super hot.

Did I mention heat issues yet? Lol

Recently I built a pc, I picked out the FX 9590 because of its 5ghz turbo, and a ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard and a 1000 watt Corsair power supply, along with an Corsair H110i GT AIO cooler. which keeps my cpu around ~30-35C.

I was having issues with it not ever able to turbo past 4.9. I downloaded the latest AI Suite II from ASUS website and installed it, Ran the "fast" Auto tuning(overclocking) and barely got past 4.7(everything in the BIOS was set to auto minus the RAM speed which I changed manually), Then I ran the extreme auto tuning and managed to get just under 5ghz which is my goal, ran it like that for a couple days, tried to play Battlefield bad company 2 and it froze, everything did.... I did a hard shutdown and reloaded "stock" settings in the bios and everything is good once again....

So does anybody have any advice on getting a stable 5ghz? I'm new to overclocking which is why I let the ASUS software do it for me. But that didn't work...

Thank you for any help y'all may be able to provide me :)

The 9590 is basically overclocked straight from the foundry. It is the one cpu that I would run bone stock. I never owned one but there is so much anecdotal evidence in this forum and others that spell out the voltage and heat issues. It is ironic that there are other AMD 8 core sku's that seem to clock all 8 cores up as high as a 9590 at lesser voltages and resultant heat.

You need to keep the CPU at 62c or less at 100% load.
Your 35c temp is at idle. That means nothing.
Run Prime95 for an hour and tell us what your temp is while it's running.

I ran the Prime95 for an hour, and my max cpu temp was 43C and I had another temp that was reaching 63C which I believe is the motherboard heat sinks? My cpu never throttled, it stayed at 4.7 the whole test but however did never turbo up to 4.8 or higher.... Any ideas?

I ran the Prime95 for an hour, and my max cpu temp was 43C and I had another temp that was reaching 63C which I believe is the motherboard heat sinks? My cpu never throttled, it stayed at 4.7 the whole test but however did never turbo up to 4.8 or higher.... Any ideas?

Pretty sure that when you run a stress test like Prime95 that puts extreme stress on all cores the cpu will never turbo. Others like S_B or RGone or Johan would know better.

43c? where do you have this PC at? in the refrigerator? :rofl: what speed are those 140mm fans running at? 1000000000000 rpm? :rofl:
I had a Nepton 280L and it could not handle the 9590, after a few hours it would go over 55c and lockup. All my other system I have no problems with
cooling Phenom II 1090T, FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8350 X 4 all under 40c or lower at 100% load (note: none of these are OC'ed)

I ran the Prime95 for an hour, never turbo up to 4.8 or higher.... Any ideas?

Without screen captures of HWMonitor Free running while (at the same time) as when P95 is running and also capture of CPUz > CPU TAB, MEMORY TAB and SPD TAB (4 captures attached to forum), then there is little we can tell about your system when we cannot see the monitor from where we sit.

RGone...

43c? where do you have this PC at? in the refrigerator? :rofl: what speed are those 140mm fans running at? 1000000000000 rpm? :rofl:
I had a Nepton 280L and it could not handle the 9590, after a few hours it would go over 55c and lockup. All my other system I have no problems with
cooling Phenom II 1090T, FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8350 X 4 all under 40c or lower at 100% load (note: none of these are OC'ed)

I did a lot of research when picking out my cooler and fans, made sure to have good good airflow in the case, and my fans started out at 50%(2100 rpm fans) and gradually worked there way up from there... Plus I also do keep my Mancave(where my pc is) under 72F :) and my pc is not far from the AC so it draws in cold air nicely

I will try to get some screen shots from cpuZ

I will try to get some screen shots from cpuZ

This is what we really need to see since CPUz does not log min/max temps and voltages.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Step by Step HowTo Attach files to forum with pictures.
HowTo Attach Files to the forum.

RGone...

Back