• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970; sufficient, bottlenecked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tumnus

Didn't really do my homework before firing up Witcher 3. Apparently it is super demanding.

i5-2500k (@3.9 Ghz)
8GB RAM
560 Ti 440

I have a 2560x1440 monitor.

Currently running @1080p, lowest settings.

I would like to run @1440p, medium settings.

I would love to go pickup the Asus STRIX 970 GTX from Microcenter at lunch today, plug it in and achieve these settings.

Is this plausible, or will my outdated processor struggle too much for the 970 GTX to make a difference?

I think you would be fine, just may need to play with the settings a little bit.

why are u running your 2500k at 3.9ghz those cpu's oc like monsters ur literally missing out on 7-10 fps by not having it at least 4500mhz as long as u have a good cpu cooler and 7-10 fps is alot of money down the drain u work it out u get 60 fps witcher 3 maxed out on a single gtx 980 ti and 980tis cost 600ish$ so missing out on 10 free fps ur losing 100$ for nothing by not ocing that 2500 k but i donno how u are at ocing if ur running at 1440p at medion ull prob see around 40-45 fps

Running an 4790k @ 4.5ghz w/ a EVGA 970 SC @ stock clocks. My settings are set at medium also at 1440p avg about 50fps. Upgrading from the 560 ti to a 970 will definitely be an improvement in fps but I also don't know how dependent Witcher 3 is on multicore CPUs.

Edit: here's a link comparing CPUs close to difference in spec (they oc'd a 2500k @ 3.9, and a 4790k @ 4.4. Pretty close on comparison). Link may not be showing correctly. Currently on mobile, I'll fix it when I get home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Got the Asus STRIX 970.

I've been running at all medium settings at 1440p.

Not sure what my FPS has been. Definitely in the 40-50 range.

However, once reaching a very large city, I've started to get some issues with the sound not buffering correctly. I have capped my FPS at 30, and it seems to be working well right now. I'm honestly not noticing difference in terms of playability, but apparently I'm a lot less demanding of my equipment than some other members.

Thanks again for the responses! To anyone with similar equipment, you can definitely play the game like this.

Back