• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my internal hard drive look like its about to crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

praj

Registered
hi guys,
i have a 500 gb internal hard drive ,for about 2 mounths it giving weird grinding noise but would stop after 10 min after booting.
yesterday i suddendly experienced a computer slowdown ,i had to wait min before a voideo would play after i doubled clicked it ,so i used tune up utilites disk doctor ,not it seams to have recovered slightly ,but sometimes it still slows down when i try to play videos or open a file.i have no back up:(.
i used hd tune pro .there is a woring " current pending sector warning 8 sectors" is there any way i can fix this .
hdd info photo
info.png

hdd health photo
health.png

this photo is a bench mark with no application except hd tune itself
bench.png

this photo is bench mark but the first drop is due a 500mb game of thrones episode, the next big drop due to 1gb movie and the last when i tried to open conrol panel ,all these application started only when the cure picked back up
benchslow.png

random access test
randomaccesss.png

extra test
extra test.png
is it posible to save the hd or do i have to buy a new one

sorry i made it very long:D

If it's making noise like you say it is, replace it. Software will not fix a physical problem with your disk. Get a new drive, and grab what you from that disk before it fails.

^ Definitely back everything up.

You may be able to fix it with a low level format. It's worth a try. But yes, that definitely doesn't sound good.

Thanks .which hd will be better for games and movies wd blue,purple or green 1tb,I am getting at almost same price

You won't see a significant difference between the three. Purple isn't really intended as a main PC hard drive. Blue is probably your best best. Green will be quieter, slower, and consume less power.

Hi there.

Judging by the screenshots you posted and having in mind that the drive is making noises, i would recommend to make a backup of the important data you have stored on it and look for a replacement.

As for your question about the WD drives, for games and movies I would suggest the Blue one, which is a regular everyday drive that is most commonly used for regular computing, light gaming and workloads and combined with SSD. It is fully capable to run most games as well as many programs for editing or programming. However, it comes with maximum capacity of 1TB.

WD Green on the other hand is an energy-efficient drive that works cool, quiet and saves a lot of power. It is designed for backups and secondary storage and the features it has allow it to be a great choice for quiet backup builds or for archiving. It is mostly chosen for massive media storage (up to 6TB) in builds that have another drive for the OS and active programs and games, because its main benefit is that it saves power and wear by spinning down when it can, which means it's basically best for things like backup drives which are only in use periodically.

And lastly about WD Purple is a surveillance-class drive, designed specifically for surveillance storage, video recording and streaming. It has optimized noise reduction (being the most quiet drive in the consumer line with only 22dBA noise level during seeking time), significantly reduced frame loss and optimized firmware. This drive is also used often for desktop computers due to its low noise levels. It has optimized sequential read/write speeds but keep in mind that the random read/write speeds are lower than normal and some people experience problems with it in regular desktops.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have! :)

Cheers!

when u say surveillance class drive do u mean it has more encryption .

That just means that it meant to be used for recording with security cameras.

You left out the WD black series in your explanation, Mighty Miro, and the reds as well. The blacks are the top consumer level drive and have a 5 yr. warranty.

Hi @trents!

Yes, I didn't wrote about WD Black and Red because the OP was wondering only between the Blue, Green and the Purple one. So here's a short description about WD Red and Black as well. :)

WD Black is the performance drive in WD's consumer line. It is the fastest among them and has good features such as a built-in dual-core CPU that makes the drive great for multitasking. It is designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage, and has 5-year limited warranty and its mostly used in gaming computers or editing machines:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=VsJr6u

WD Red is the NAS/RAID class drive from the consumer series that is designed specifically for RAID environments and NAS devices. It is tuned and optimized for 24/7 performance, RAID arrays and up to 8-bay NAS systems. This drive is often used for backups, stable secondary storage and in streaming builds, as well as NAS and RAID. Also, there's a WD Red Pro which is designed with the same purpose as the regular WD Red, only for larger scales (8 to 16 bays). They have fixed 7,200 RPM (while the regular WD Red has Intellipower), longer warranty and some additional features in the firmware, enabling it to perform even better at larger scale RAID arrays:

WD Red - http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=OuZD1K
WD Red Pro - http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=cLg1p0

Cheers! :)

Would the purple then be a good choice for media storage and media rendering due to the low frame loss?

Would the purple then be a good choice for media storage and media rendering due to the low frame loss?

Hi.

You can use it for such purpose, but I won't recommend it. Mostly because the firmware features of the HDD (such as error correction for instance) are modified in a way to accept larger number of errors in the name of the goal for consistent speeds. Basically, WD Purple has optimized writing speeds, special error correction features and is generally developed and tuned for DVR and other surveillance systems, and although it can work, there may be some data corruption due to the error correction feature of the drive that is designed to record videos with no frame losses.

For rendering I would suggest either WD Blue, or WD Black, depending on the program that you're going to use depending on what speed you are looking for. :)

hi guys,
i have a 500 gb internal hard drive ,for about 2 mounths it giving weird grinding noise but would stop after 10 min after booting.
yesterday i suddendly experienced a computer slowdown ,i had to wait min before a voideo would play after i doubled clicked it ,so i used tune up utilites disk doctor ,not it seams to have recovered slightly ,but sometimes it still slows down when i try to play videos or open a file.i have no back up:(.
i used hd tune pro .there is a woring " current pending sector warning 8 sectors" is there any way i can fix this .
hdd info photo
View attachment 164899

hdd health photo
View attachment 164900

this photo is a bench mark with no application except hd tune itself
View attachment 164901

this photo is bench mark but the first drop is due a 500mb game of thrones episode, the next big drop due to 1gb movie and the last when i tried to open conrol panel ,all these application started only when the cure picked back up
View attachment 164902

random access test
View attachment 164903

extra test
View attachment 164904
is it posible to save the hd or do i have to buy a new one

sorry i made it very long:D

Chuck it! I never saw such bad random seek tests in my life.

Back