• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon surpasses Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Newegg is better for research, more complete specs, etc.

But I made a list of parts for a buddy of mine's new gaming/HTPC rig I am gonna build for him. Not a bad budget build at all. An eye more to power saving, cool and quiet than to total budget performance, since he wants a small, quiet HTPC case. So I went with Core i3 and a GTX 960 in a compact version. Coulda maybe got slightly better performance out of an AMD and say an R9 280 or something, but at the cost of a lot more power and heat.

Intel i3-4160
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
MSI H81M-E35 V2
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 Super Clocked 2GB (02G-P4-2962-KR)
LG 14x Blu-Ray Re-Writer
Silverstone Grandia HTPC case

Amazon - $679.80 - all Prime shipped
Newegg - $704-93 - most Premier shipped (3-day), except one item, I think, which was 4-7 day shipping

I got a 600W modular OCZ Evostream PSU here for $40.

I did buy the RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws 8gx1) from Newegg, because it was about $6 cheaper and still Premier shipping.

But overall, I was shocked. Amazon's site is a bit more of a hassle to find what I wanted, and was short on info on alot of the items, but if you know what you want and are already a Primer member, Amazon has turned into almost a one-stop shop... if they only sold guns and more gun parts, I might not shop ANYwhere else! :D

Just depends on the sale of the day really. Glad you got a good deal on things though :)

I almost always find Amazon has the cheaper product, even during "Newegg sales". Browse at Newegg for the interface, buy on Amazon for the pricing. :shrug:

yeah thats the biggest downside to amazon, their sorting functoin for anything is quite terrible even their by price doesnt work right half the time.

Agreed with Thiddy, I do the same thing. Also because I have Amazon Prime (and shoprunner is no longer available at the egg, which I've somehow had a free trial for about 3 years...) I buy almost all of my electronics from Amazon. Can't beat 2 day shipping

Agreed with Thiddy, I do the same thing. Also because I have Amazon Prime (and shoprunner is no longer available at the egg, which I've somehow had a free trial for about 3 years...) I buy almost all of my electronics from Amazon. Can't beat 2 day shipping

lol yeah im in the same boat they keep renewing mine free. very very few items still work with it on newegg but some do.

Step 1- Download HoverHound
Step 2- Browse NewEgg
Step 3- Buy on Amazon through HoverHound link on NE product page

Then once you have HoverHound installed just omit Step 1, can't get any easier!

Back