• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7/10 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

So this maybe a little weird but I'm OCD and I'm curious if there is a way during the Windows Installation or directly afterward to have windows use a different directory to install & hold all files/programs other then Specific Windows related stuff. I would like Users info docs, everything but actually core windows stuff to be on another hard drive. I'm using a 256GB SSD as my main drive and windows eats up a lot of that. I would like to have a couple games run off that drive. But with all the stuff from windows & other stuff it quickly fills up. I do install everything manually installed on my other hard drive. And have changed some other things to that drive as well which is a pain. I'm wanting to know if there is a blanket way to do it or not.

If so how? If not oh well, what about in Windows 10?

If any MS Dev's are in here I would like to request a check box type setup of what stuff you want to go where kind of thing...lol (if not already available)

Thanks

So this maybe a little weird but I'm OCD and I'm curious if there is a way during the Windows Installation or directly afterward to have windows use a different directory to install & hold all files/programs other then Specific Windows related stuff. I would like Users info docs, everything but actually core windows stuff to be on another hard drive. I'm using a 256GB SSD as my main drive and windows eats up a lot of that. I would like to have a couple games run off that drive. But with all the stuff from windows & other stuff it quickly fills up. I do install everything manually installed on my other hard drive. And have changed some other things to that drive as well which is a pain. I'm wanting to know if there is a blanket way to do it or not.

If so how? If not oh well, what about in Windows 10?

If any MS Dev's are in here I would like to request a check box type setup of what stuff you want to go where kind of thing...lol (if not already available)

Thanks

Windows should not be taking up a lot of space on a hard drive. You can do some basic maintenance, like getting rid of unneeded restore points. You can get rid all of the backup driver updates. If your hard drive is labeled C:\ you can delete the nvidia drivers that are stored on the root. They would be in a folder conveniently called nvidia. I'd also run CCleaner.

Windows itself doesn't but everything else does.
what I'm wanting is to solely have windows required stuff on c and everything else on d unless I select it to go to c on install.

Windows itself doesn't but everything else does.
what I'm wanting is to solely have windows required stuff on c and everything else on d unless I select it to go to c on install.

I have a 128 gig ssd withWindows, and all my other software is installed to my spinner. When installing software, you can specify the path for the install, ie e:\program files(x86), instead c:\-program files(x860. Just change the drive letter, and leave the rest of the path alone.

I have a similar setup with a 240GB SSD. You can modify the system properties to move your temp files to another drive if you wish. Also I created My Documents/Pictures folders on another drive and you can right click those folders on the start menu and add the new locations for each and then remove the references to the C drive versions. This way anything for Documents/music/pictures will automatically go to your mechanical drive instead. I've had this installation on Windows for almost a year now and with my core apps installed on the SSD I'm only using about half of the drive.

Windows should not be taking up a lot of space on a hard drive.
Ah yes? 100 GB on maindrive, 300 GB on backup drive... thats the space Windows is demanding from me. Going up and up and up nonstop.

Windows should not be taking up a lot of space on a hard drive. You can do some basic maintenance, like getting rid of unneeded restore points. You can get rid all of the backup driver updates. If your hard drive is labeled C:\ you can delete the nvidia drivers that are stored on the root. They would be in a folder conveniently called nvidia. I'd also run CCleaner.
This......^^

Ah yes? 100 GB on maindrive, 300 GB on backup drive... thats the space Windows is demanding from me. Going up and up and up nonstop.
Restore points... hibernation... etc... I usually limit that to a few GB so it doesn't grow like I am imagining yours is. Also, what size is your pagefile? That can likely be smaller too. Last, are you sure its not programs that are taking up that much space? 100GB is a ton if it isn't hibernation and restores...

The reason you have 300GB on your backup drive is, Im guessing, that you have multiple images of it. So that isn't fair to mention in this context.

Out of the box, I can get a windows (professional) install to well under 20GB. When its fully updated, I don't think it still hits 20GB

EDIT: I see you started a thread on this... I will post this there as well.

Last edited:
I have a similar setup with a 240GB SSD. You can modify the system properties to move your temp files to another drive if you wish. Also I created My Documents/Pictures folders on another drive and you can right click those folders on the start menu and add the new locations for each and then remove the references to the C drive versions. This way anything for Documents/music/pictures will automatically go to your mechanical drive instead. I've had this installation on Windows for almost a year now and with my core apps installed on the SSD I'm only using about half of the drive.

I tried to do that but programs still went and put stuff in the my docs standard location on install or whatever. How do I stop that I coukd figure it out.

Back