• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill Ripjaws

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I currently am running 12Gb of Ripjaws 12800 1600mhz ram. 2x4gb and 2x2gb. I was wondering if it would be okay to set them to 1866mhz and not have any problems? Would that change my CL and basically be pointless? I have never done anything with ram before so sorry if i sound stupid.

Im currently at 1600mhz CL 11. Should I try just dropping the CL to 9 or even 8, or upping the mhz to 1866 and sticking with 10/9?

No one can tell you for sure, you have to experiment and see what the memory will do. Raising the frequency or tightening the timings will likely require raising the memory voltage either way. One way to attack it would be to loosen the timings and set the frequency to 1866. If that works, then work on tightening the timings until you run into stability problems.

There are several, Prime95 (use large FFT test for an hour at least), HyperPi (32M test). If those complete then you're probably good.

Well... The Ripjaws did not like 1866... had to reset my CMOS. I guess Ill stay on 1600mhz and drop the CL

First I would try it with one set of ram, the 2x4 set. Those GSkills should run at 1866 9-10-9-28 with 1.6v or less IMO , If you're still having trouble raise the voltage to you CPU_NB, they can be a bit weak on some FX CPUs and need a bump to 1.25v maybe more.

They didn't want to take 1866mhz at all. I'm currently at 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 @ 1.62v. (I just stuck my voltage between what people have been able to do online and have stress tested them on P95 blend)

UPDATE: I had a random crash during the Witcher 3, so I bumped it up to 1.64v

Last edited:
Use memtest86 Grab the USB version, not the pro. And flash it to a USB thumbdrive with Rufus.
Make sure you backup your thumbdrive as rufus will erase it!

Then reboot and boot off the new memtest thumbdrive.

If you get errors on the bitrott test, ignore them, it's most likely a false error.

Johan's suggestion of 9-10-9-28 @ 1866 is a good baseline of your timings.
I run my G.Skill's at 9-11-10-28 @ 2156, 1.72 volts. Go no higher than 1.75 volts for DDR3 voltage ;)

Also, bump the CPU/NB v (NOT the North bridge voltage) to 1.35 and see if that helps. What your CPU temps too as higher CPU/NB v = more heat.

What do you think I can run this ram at with 1600mhz? Please include timing, ram voltage and , cpu nb voltage :)

Also should i use link or unlink?

Last edited:
What do you think I can run this ram at with 1600mhz? Please include timing, ram voltage and , cpu nb voltage :)

Also should i use link or unlink?

Ganged or unganged I assume you mean? Means nothing with FX CPU's, but ganged was slightly worse then unganged, but ganged has better dingle thread preformance.

as for timings, try 9-9-9-24 2T, at 1.5 or 1.65 volts.
we can't just tell you some timings that will work, you must test this for yourself as every stick of RAM and every CPU is different. ;)

Well... The Ripjaws did not like 1866...
Probably because that 1600/11 G.skill was made from 1333 chips. All my Samsung 1600/11, made from 1600/11 chips, ran fine at 1866, even at its 1.35V rating, and 2133 always worked if I ran at 1.5V. Did you try 1.65V and CAS 13? BTW I think the slowest RAM sold now made of 1600/11 chips is HyperX Fury 1866, maybe Fury 1600, too.

There is something that they all forgot to mention :(
If your RAM is rated @ xxx that is what you can put under your Basic BIOS Setting. You CAN NOT just tell your Motherboard to run DDR3 1600 @ DDR3 1866 as there is no SPD timing on the memory chip for that speed !!!!!
What you have to do is set it at it's rated speed - DDR3 1600 x-x-x-x timings - and increase the FSB until you get to 186x. You ALSO have to remember that increasing the BASE 200 to 215ish will also INCREASE YOUR CPU Speed, CPU/NB Link Speed, and HTT Link Speed so you have to lower these to stay stable. If, as you said, your memory will run @ 8-8-8-24 DDR3 1600. Then you need to also go under memory timings and change them to 9-9-9-25 1T 1.65v after you have increased the FSB. If that does not work, you can try 9-10-9-25 1T @ 1.65v or 9-9-9-27 1T @ 1.65v. Remember that the CPU/NB Link & HTT Link have also been OVERCLOCKED, so you need to get set them both around 25xx and your CPU Multi to 18 -19. Leave the CPU/NB and HTT Voltage to AUTO, unless you know what you are doing!!!!

Actually you can set any higher ratio and motherboard will adjust timings from SPD. Standard SPD table is higher than you see in saved memory profile but at auto you get something like 1866 CL11-13 what usually is based on Jedec settings.
AMD boards support memory clock up to 1866 so maximum standard memory ratio will be for 1866 memory.

Setting memory at higher clock on AMD requires more from sub timings than main timings. I would check tRFC 160 , CR2 and maybe some additional settings. Also tRCD at 11 if 10 won't work.
Probably every newer DDR3 can run at 1866. Most even average kits will make 2133.

If FSB won't work above some point then lower memory ratio and try higher FSB. There are sometimes FSB holes on AMD boards with higher density memory. Explaining it in short will be that all can work fine at 215-220 FSB but at 225-245 may not boot at all while at 250+ will be again stable.

Actually you can set any higher ratio and motherboard will adjust timings from SPD. Standard SPD table is higher than you see in saved memory profile but at auto you get something like 1866 CL11-13 what usually is based on Jedec settings.
AMD boards support memory clock up to 1866 so maximum standard memory ratio will be for 1866 memory.

Woomack.....:facepalm:...... He has DDR3 1600 memory, as I said in my post. From just the basic BIOS screen, he can not just set the memory to DDR3 1866 and expect the board to post. From reading your memory thread and others, DDR3 1600 memory does not have a SPD timing table for DDR3 1866. This is why I was trying to tell him to set it to DDR3 1600 and increase the FSB until he gets to 186x on memory speed :thup:

I believe you have :facepalm: been sniffing some of your magic juice :rofl:

Woomack.....:facepalm:...... He has DDR3 1600 memory, as I said in my post. From just the basic BIOS screen, he can not just set the memory to DDR3 1866 and expect the board to post. From reading your memory thread and others, DDR3 1600 memory does not have a SPD timing table for DDR3 1866. This is why I was trying to tell him to set it to DDR3 1600 and increase the FSB until he gets to 186x on memory speed :thup:

I believe you have :facepalm: been sniffing some of your magic juice :rofl:

It should work if he sets the speed to 1866 and leaves the timings on auto.

Should being the operative work here ;)

Back