• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 vs 8370 vs 9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

so it seems that the cash has finally come up for me to upgrade to an 8 core FX chip, just deciding which one to go with here.
Pricing is all in canadian dollars, so unless you know of a canadian price thats cheaper, dont tell me about newegg.com selling the chips for cheaper!
there is the tried and true 8350, which is available to me for the cheapest @ $204.99
but there is also the new chip, the 8370, which the few that i have seen on here seemed to have good overclocks, and at better temps than the 8350's, however, it is more pricey, @$241.19
and since we are already @ $240+, may as well also look at the 9370, which is only $248.99
overclocking is planned for, getting as close to 5.0 with all 8 cores as my daily driver is my goal.
chip is going to go into my CHV, with full custom water loop, 120.5 worth of radiator, cpu, and motherboard block(i know you guys feel they are unnecessary, but i already have it, and i love the look of them, so it shall be used), no video card in the loop, so i think it should keep temps in check nicely, no matter which chip i go with.
gonna keep an eye out for next weekends sales, but right now im stuck between the 8350, or the 9370, the 8370 seems to have priced itself out of the fight, unless it goes on sale for a bit more off.
thoughts, views, opinions?
is the 9370 worth the extra $43?

but right now im stuck between the 8350, or the 9370, the 8370 seems to have priced itself out of the fight, unless it goes on sale for a bit more off.
thoughts, views, opinions? is the 9370 worth the extra $43?

No, unless you live at the north or south pole, that thing is a heat monster, go with the 8350 or 8370 they are easier to cool than the FX-9xxx CPU's.

OK like this....

8350 will have the highest percentage overclock.

The 9370 will have a 4.7ghz turbo guarantee right from the box and least percentage in overclock.

I purchased the 9590 for guarantee 5ghz turbo virtually no overclock BUT can manage the heat with a custom water cooling loop.

I'd buy in the middle if your seriously considering and get the FX-8370.

I vote > $204.99 since we are in the overclocking business. I just still have a problem with the newer cpus seeming to have little 'play/bench' head room so I want to pay as little as possible in case I have to sell and REbuy to get good silicon. But you must understand that I am that way. If the FX-8320 would be approximately $40.00 below the FX-8350...heck "I" might do that being the way I am. Ole Faht out.

RGone...

OK like this....

8350 will have the highest percentage overclock.

The 9370 will have a 4.7ghz turbo guarantee right from the box and least percentage in overclock.

I purchased the 9590 for guarantee 5ghz turbo virtually no overclock BUT can manage the heat with a custom water cooling loop.

I'd buy in the middle if your seriously considering and get the FX-8370.

get the 8370 even though it is virtually the same price as the 9370?
im more leaning towards the 8350 than the 8370.
and if you have them clocked the same, with similar voltages, should an 8350 create just about the same heat as a 9370, should it not?
i think i should be able to manage the heat, no matter which chip i get.
and i totally get what RGone says, if i can get the same performance out of the chip for $40 less, that 40 bucks extra in my pocket sounds good.

With that loop you will be able to manage the heat just fine. In the end all three processors are the same just AMD has done some binning and overclocking for you. Sticking to these three chips by that I mean AMD has supposedly chosen the best silicon for the 9370, then the 8370 then the 8350. In the end it is the luck of the draw on how good a piece of silicone is when you start to overclock it. I like my 8370 enough so I have sold off my old FX 8350 which was a good chip but either the 8350 or the 8370 will do you well.

I've seen more 83x0s hit 4.7 less than 1.5v than I have 9590s.... maybe because there's more of them, but the trend seems to be there.

For the cost difference seems to be a worthwhile "gamble, especially with a loop that size.

and if you have them clocked the same, with similar voltages, should an 8350 create just about the same heat as a 9370, should it not?
and i totally get what RGone says, if i can get the same performance out of the chip for $40 less, that 40 bucks extra in my pocket sounds good.

So have you considered the 8320 or even the 8300 then ? I bought an 8320 from canadacomputers a while back and it was amazing for low voltage but quickly ran out of gas once I got over 5.2. I'd be willing to take a chance again but that's my money.

Wasnt thinking of moneys.

My FX-8300 did 7685mhz on LN2 and a sub 50$ motherboard. I buy the expensive stuff for my daily rig.

Again how you spend your money, the reality is nobody really cares, it's your moneys. Do what makes you feel good.

I just went with what will be a guarantee... And there's no guarantees with overclocking anything. That I know for a fact.

Fx 8300 isn't available anywhere I can see in Canada, but it is somewhat tempting to give the 8320 a go... Another one I'm seeing for about the same price as 8350 is the 8370e. Have you guys seen many of those e chips? How do they seem to fair as overclockers?

Personally I think all the 8xxx are about the same they just have some different P-States. Good ones and bad ones, luck of the draw but 90% of the new ones have hit 5.0 with decent voltage as long as cooling and board/PSU are capable.

There are some threads around the net where it is said the > 8370e < is n0t a 'leaker' and goes to X speed and then just quits. Same is being said of the FX-8320E. The "E" versions in general have not seemed to get on up toward 4.8GHz like the non-E ones seem to do. But they run to where they do quit with seeming lesser voltage.

Remember all of this is based on what 'a' user found and there are flyers and outliers and exceptions to any rule when dealing with silicon that makes up a cpu or other electronics.

RGone...

Definitely some food for thought. The 8320 is only $170, which makes it fairly tempting, would be nice if they didn't have so many very similar options, would make my decision easier to make. Haha.

I am going to be serious about ONE thing. If you want a guaranteed speed, get one that runs nearly that fast to begin with like S_B hints at. If you want be an overclocker...get the cheapest one you can buy and then if it is not fast enough, you have n0t spent so much it seems a shame to sell and buy another. Before cpus got so expensive, I used to buy three at a time of the same cpu. Because every third cpu I bought, I seemed to get a good one. Buy three and get the third good one. Hehehe.

RGone...

i think i will give the 8370e a try, if it works out for me, then great, if it doesnt do so hot, then i can always try and sell it, and get something else.
heck, just had a look on ebay, and most all of the ones listed on there are actually more expensive than I can get it for from the store, so i'll go with that.

As long as you're happy ...... some words of advice about selling AMD. It is a very hard sell be sure you buy what you really want.

well, now im second guessing myself again. lol.
i've basically got $150 off whatever chip i buy, as im selling the phenom x4 to a friend of mine, we had talked about $100 when we last talked about it, plus i've been sitting on a $50 gift card since christmas time, but if i get a bit cheaper of a chip, i would probably sell the phenom to my friend for a bit cheaper, it'll be a step up from his phenom ii x3 @ ~3.0ghz(or unlocked to an x4, but only at 2.6, or 2.8ghz), and we've been best friends for almost 15 years now, so i would like to give it to him for as good of a deal as i can.
a part of me says go for the 8370e, but the other little voices in my head are screaming for the 8350/8370, and theres yet another voice screaming for the 9370(theres a voice screaming for the 9590, but $310 after taxes is just too much, so i can ignore that one pretty easily)
and i know ebay rapes you for fees, but are amd chips really that hard to sell even on ebay?

There are some threads around the net where it is said the > 8370e < is n0t a 'leaker' and goes to X speed and then just quits. Same is being said of the FX-8320E. The "E" versions in general have not seemed to get on up toward 4.8GHz like the non-E ones seem to do. But they run to where they do quit with seeming lesser voltage.

Remember all of this is based on what 'a' user found and there are flyers and outliers and exceptions to any rule when dealing with silicon that makes up a cpu or other electronics.

RGone...

Leave the "E" versions alone if wanting to have the best chance of reaching your target speed (5.0).
What I'm seeing here is a question about what chip will have the best chance of getting to 5.0 for the least amount of $$.

The 9xxx chips although fast will put out alot of heat but as pointed out elsewhere it's not that much of a difference vs what other chips would heat up to at the same speed. However since those are the most expensive, these would be the ones I'd consider last.

The 8370 is one that's closer at stock to being at 5.0 and would probrably get there without too much trouble - But again, it's been mentioned that newer pieces of silicon for some reason seem to wall at a lower speed vs older chips. The 8370 is a newer chip so it's quite possible for it to be like that but as long as it reaches 5.0, all is good.

The 8350 is one of the older models but if buying new, it too would be of the newer silicon and compared to older 8350's, probrably not as good for a shot at getting 5.0 - The better silicon being used in the 8370's and 9xxx chips for certain with current production pieces.

I'd have to say either get the 8370 or look up an older (By date) 8320/8350.
My 8320 hits 5.0 like it's nothing but it's an older chip, if what's been said about the newer silicon is accurate then the likelyhood of a brandnew 8320 getting there stable would be much less than with an older one like mine.

Just my thoughts on the subject but seriously, I believe RGone is dead-on target here.
Also have to mention this isn't an absolute - You might win the silicon lotto even if buying an "E" chip, you never really know.

Back