• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Mobile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10136
June 16, 2015 by Gabe Aul

Hi everyone, we have a new Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring today – Build 10136. There are a couple of things that you’ll need to pay close attention to in order to upgrade to this build. The first is that we are only offering it to phones that are running Windows Phone 8.1 and opted in to the Windows Insider Fast ring. What this means for you:

If you are running the previous build offered to the Fast ring (10080) and you want to get this build you will need to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 via the Windows Phone Recovery Tool first. Once you’re up and running on Windows Phone 8.1, go to the Windows Insider app and select Insider Fast again. This is required because of a migration bug affecting upgrades from 10080 to this build so we are not supporting that upgrade path. We know this is a little bit painful but we didn’t want to make you wait any longer to get a new build and decided (with help from Windows Insiders following me on Twitter) not to hold for those migration issues to be fixed. Some of you previously had to go through 2 “hops” to get to the latest build on your phone. We’ve made this better and you will be able to upgrade directly to the latest build in a single hop regardless of which Windows Phone 8.1 build you’re starting from.
If you’re on build 10080 and don’t want to flash back to 8.1 to get this build, you don’t have to do anything. You won’t be offered this build but your phone will still be configured for the next one, and we do expect the next build to have the migration issue fixed so you’ll be able to upgrade directly.

For those of you that do choose to make the jump to this build it is SUPER IMPORTANT TO READ THIS: At the end of the upgrade the Lock screen will appear frozen without the date and time for up to 10 minutes. Please be patient and let it sit – eventually the date and time will appear and it will allow you to unlock your phone. There is a post-upgrade migration status screen missing, which normally would show you that it was making progress. If you get impatient and restart or mess with locking/unlocking your phone, you’ll wind up in a funky state – so just relax and let it do its thing.

As always, please be sure to read through all the known issues below before you upgrade.

Here is what’s new

Tons of fit and finish changes:

There are far too many subtle changes in the UX to cover. You’ll notice some obvious ones right away, like the PIN pad is now transparent and slides up over your Lock screen image instead of displacing it. You’ll see many changes to fonts, icons, layout, etc. and the UX will feel more complete than what you used in 10080. We’re doing a lot of refinement to the UX right now and you should see more of that work in the next build we flight.

Improvements to Cortana:

Cortana’s experience has gone through a rich set of improvements and is now very close to our final design. We’ve made adjustments to cards in Cortana’s homepage and in the hamburger menu. We listened to feedback from Windows Insiders and added the dark theme colors to Cortana’s UI to make our UI more cohesive with the rest of the OS. Tracking of your flights and packages has also been enabled so whenever you get an e-mail with flight or package information they show up in the Cortana experience and Cortana will also alert you about them. Alerts for going to work, going home and the airport are also enabled again. Further you can ask questions to weather, currency information, stock quotes and more and get the answers directly inline. That makes it easy to quickly check on multiple locations or stock tickers. To explore further and get the full experience you can tap on these results.

Photos and Camera improvements:

In the Photos app, tap on a month to get a list of months so you can quickly “jump” to photos you may have taken a while ago. You can also now double-tap to zoom on a photo. The Photos app also comes with performance and reliability improvements. If you’re running this build on a Lumia 640, 640XL, 930, Icon, or 1520 – check out the Lumia Camera Beta and make it your default camera app. The Lumia Camera Beta is the same app as the new Windows 10 Camera app but with additional features that light up based on Lumia hardware. Let us know what you think!

One-handed use:

If you have a device with a screen of 5 inches or greater, it’s now easier to use your device with one hand. Press and hold the Start button and your screen will slide down so you can reach items at the top of your screen. To slide the screen back up, tap the black space at the top of the screen, or press and hold the Start button again. One-handed use will also naturally time out after several seconds and return to your regular view.

We’ve fixed some issues from Build 10080:

**We have fixed the MMS bug in Build 10080, and you should receive MMS messages normally.
**We have fixed the issue where touch will stop responding on the Lock screen preventing you from swiping up to unlock your phone.
**We have fixed some visual glitches in Action Center when expanding/collapsing.
**We have fixed the issue where the text in the People app was too small.
**When you toggle the Wi-Fi quick action in Action Center, it now disables/enables Wi-Fi instead of taking you to the Wi-Fi Settings page. This was one of the top 5 pieces of feedback we heard from Windows Insiders.
**Your Start screen background should be scaled correctly now.
**You can add a detailed status to display on your Lock screen from apps like Outlook Calendar without having the Settings app crash.
**We also fixed the issue where a mouse cursor would appear when pressing the back button on your phone.

Here are some known issues

**After upgrading, you will still see duplicate tiles for apps like Search and Phone under All Apps.
**If you have too many PIN unlock attempts, you’ll see the “enter A1B2C3” reset experience. However, there is an issue in this build where after you enter the code you won’t see the PIN pad. The workaround is to press Emergency Call after entering the code, then press Back and you’ll be able to enter your PIN.
**We recommend disabling the double-tap-to-wake feature on some Lumia devices by going to the Settings app then Extras > Touch > Wake to prevent any accidental PIN unlock attempts.
**There is an issue that may cause Skype not to work after upgrade. The best workaround is to uninstall Skype on Windows Phone 8.1 *before* you upgrade to this build and then reinstall it after upgrading. If you miss that step though, you can usually resolve by uninstalling it and reinstalling from the Store once you’re on 10136.
**If you’re having issues installing new Language Packs in this build, see this forum post.

The upgrade experience is something that is very important for us to get right, so you should definitely expect that we’ll address the migration bug that affected this build. In general, we expect that you should be able to upgrade build to build without having to flash back to 8.1. Thanks to those adventurous Windows Insiders who jump on this build despite a little extra prep, and we look forward to your feedback.

As July 29th, the availability date of Windows 10 for PCs and tablets approaches, I’ve received questions on the final release date for Windows 10 Mobile. While we’re making good progress, we need more time to deliver the optimal experience for mobile devices and you can expect Windows 10 Mobile to release broadly later this year. We’re incorporating lots of the great feedback from Insiders, so keep it coming!

Thanks,
g

Source

Happy Testing :cool:

Possible release candidate...

With any luck we'll get a new build to beat on before the weekend....:sly:

Below from a couple of days ago.

New Build.png

Cross your fingers

Build 10149

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10149
June 25, 2015 by Gabe Aul

Hi everyone, we have a new Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring today – Build 10149. Those of you who chose to stay on Build 10080 and not go back to Windows Phone 8.1 to get Build 10136 will be happy to know that you’ll be able to upgrade directly to this build – so you won’t need to flash your phones back to Windows Phone 8.1.

SUPER IMPORTANT TO READ THIS (again): The post-upgrade migration status screen is still missing after upgrading to this build which normally shows you the progress of the post-upgrade migration. After upgrading, the Lock screen will appear frozen without the date and time for up to 10 minutes. Please be patient and let it sit – eventually the date and time will appear and it will allow you to unlock your phone. If you get impatient and restart or mess with locking/unlocking your phone, you’ll wind up in a funky state – so just relax and let it do its thing.

Here is what is new

Microsoft Edge:

The first thing that you’ll notice in this build is that the Microsoft Edge branding is now included in this build. This build also has the address bar at the bottom – this is a change that we made based on feedback we heard from Windows Insiders. The option to view websites in mobile view or desktop view is also included in this build as well.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The result of the naming switch from “Project Spartan” to Microsoft Edge means that the Microsoft Edge app has a new app ID. This will cause any favorites, cookies, history and Reading list items that you had saved in the Project Spartan app to be lost after upgrading from a previous Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build.

General UX improvements and refinement:

You’ll see a lot of UX improvements and refinement in this build. We’ve fixed an issue where many Live tiles pinned to Start would appear blurry – so your Start screen looks much more clear and crisp. You’ll also see a lot more refinement of controls with updated icons and visuals (such as the volume controls). Overall, you’ll find the OS more responsive to use. We’ve got more work to do here but we’re happy about great progress made in this build.

Improvements to Cortana:

Cortana’s Notebook is in its final stage with a combined Profile and Settings experience now. You also now set up Quiet Hours in Cortana’s Notebook as well. You should also try sending an e-mail with Cortana – we enabled this in this build! Just say everything at once such as who you want to email (you can send to multiple people), the subject of the e-mail, and what you want your email to say and that’s it. You can even make corrections with your voice. Note – this feature requires an Internet connection and works for U.S. (English) right now.

Flashlight quick action:

One of the top pieces of feedback we heard from Windows Insiders for Action Center in Window 10 Mobile was to add a Flashlight quick action so you can quickly turn your phone’s flash into a flashlight. And we’ve delivered this little feature in this build. Just open Action Center, and expand quick actions to check it out for yourself. You can customize which quick actions are always shown in Action Center without having to expand.

Check out the updated Photos app for Windows 10:

We’ve published an update to the Photos app via the Windows Store Beta. This update includes general performance and reliability improvements, as well as new capabilities such as support animated GIFs (works on phones with 1GB of RAM or higher). This was a top request from Windows Insiders! And now links to your saved photos, screenshots, and camera roll are available on the Albums page.

Automatic camera upload via OneDrive:

Automatic camera roll upload is now managed directly with the OneDrive app on your phone. Make sure you open the OneDrive app and go to settings to set camera upload to be turned on or off depending on which you prefer.

Update your apps:

Make sure you check the Store Beta and download the latest updates for apps. Many of our first party apps such as Outlook Mail and Calendar, Music, Movies & TV, and the MSN apps (News, Weather, Sports, and Money) are updating independently of builds so we can get changes to you faster. Make sure you have the updated versions of these apps to get the best experience on your phone.

Here are some things we fixed

**We have fixed the issue first reported with Build 10051 where Call + SMS filtering would not work after upgrade.
**We have fixed an issue where text notifications weren’t appearing for incoming messages.
**We have fixed an issue where the Podcast app wouldn’t work.
**We have fixed some issues where apps were having trouble installing or updating via the Store Beta.
**We have fixed an issue where the navigation bar couldn’t be hidden.

Here are some known issues

**There is an issue where the Install button doesn’t respond after Build 10149 is downloaded. Make sure the battery is charged >40% and press it again.
**Some people may encounter an 80091007 error trying to upgrade to this build from Build 10136. If you hit this error, sit tight – we’re working on a fix. Or if you want the new build right away, you can use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 and then upgrade to Build 10149.
**The Insider Hub is removed in this build. Don’t worry, it will be back in future Insider Preview builds.
**Sometimes the PIN keypad won’t be shown after swiping up to unlock. The workaround is to swipe down to get to Action Center and try to open a notification or Settings to invoke the PIN keypad to unlock your phone.
**There is a very rare situation where you are unable to unlock your phone after entering your PIN and it keeps letting you type even though you entered your pin correctly. If you hit this – leave the phone alone 1-2 hours before trying to unlock again. This is caused by a TPM issue that could get worse and require you to reflash if you get into this state and power off the phone.
**If a Gmail account is set up on the phone, the Messaging app may have issues and both incoming and outgoing messages may not work. If this issue is hit, simply reboot your phone to get it working again. We are aware that the Messaging app may behave badly in this state.
**There is a known issue where apps or games are installed as trial versions even though you have previously purchased them. In-app purchases on Windows 10 Mobile are not functional yet as we migrate the function to the new Windows Store.
**In certain cases, the colors in some apps may appear off. For example – the titlebar in the Outlook Mail app is orange.
**There might be some cases where notifications in Action Center appear blank.

We’ve been using this build internally for a few days and have really loved it. It is faster, more stable, and more polished overall and has been lots of fun for us to see come together. For me personally, I’ve been thrilled to see a bunch of changes get completed that you’ve been asking for. It reminds me why I’m so excited about the Windows Insider program and being able to hear your input to help us shape the product.

Thanks,
g

UPDATED: 6/25 – 4:00pm

Source

Awesome !! Last build was very buggy !!

Looks like it shows 10.0.12648.133 for my update.

Currently on 10.0.12562.84 (Lumina 630)

Hopefully we get option to rename shortcuts and change icons !!

EDIT :

my os version is indeed 10.0.49.0 after install

Last edited:
wp_ss_20150627_0003.png Bug #1 found - Outlook Mail will error and display that I need to buy the app or just displays error codes when trying to add office 365 exchange account.

I have successfully added Gmail, and MSN.

Error 0x81030116

EDIT: You can work around by setting up office 365 account manually.

Last edited:
wp_ss_20150627_0004.png Bug #2 - Multiple Microsoft Edge crashes. Browsing ocforums and other sites. When some pages crash Microsoft Edge tries to recover page but continuously crashes and re-opens new pages

- - - Updated - - -

Now I have tried the appropriate steps ( hard reset, recovery back to 8.1 and new update ) no luck

.. But this build is IMO worst than the last one.. If you can't use mail or IE properly than it's no real use .. So when I get the pop up again about how i feel about this builds quality it will get lowest score..

I'd like to add that I'm disappointed with charging icon too !! It's so small you can barely recognize it's charging.

Last edited:
XB after your update to Build 10149, did you do a factory reset from the menu ?? (Settings-->System-->About-->Reset Your Phone)

Apologies in advance if that is a "Hard Rest" as i'm not up on all the windows Phone verbiage...

I'm only asking because when i updated my 920 to the last build released (10136) the phone was a little squirrely :sly: until i did so. After the "reset" it was like a completely different phone. (Read: Much better)

I have not had a chance to test build 10149 yet.

Yes sir !! I did the reset through the volume and power keys though. No luck .

It's ok though it's only a preview.. I have to remind myself sometimes..haha

Cross my fingers for next build !!

Maybe you should give the factory reset a try (Settings-->System-->About-->Reset Your Phone) ??

Just make sure you have your goods backed up before doing so. ;)

Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10166

July 10, 2015 12:04 pm by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10166

Hi everyone, we thought we would end the week with another build for you – but this time it’s for mobile. Build 10166 of the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview is rolling out right now to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. There are lots of small changes and feature tweaks in this build, but our major focus over the past few builds on mobile has been about improvements to core quality.

Most of the known issues we listed for Build 10149 have been fixed. We also fixed the issue where the post-upgrade migration status screen was missing, which made the Lock screen appear frozen without the date and time for up to 10 minutes. The post-upgrade migration status screen should appear normally now. We also fixed the issue where you were unable to unlock your phone after entering your PIN and it keeps letting you type even though you entered your pin correctly that was caused by a TPM issue. The colors in apps should now appear correctly including in including the titlebar in the Outlook Mail app which is no longer orange. And we also improved reliability of app downloads and updates from the Store (which is now no longer marked as “Beta” and the old Store has been removed).

We also got a lot of feedback about the size of the battery icon, so we bumped that up a bit larger to make it easier for everyone to see.

Be sure to check the Store and grab the latest app updates from there too, as there have been lots of improvements to apps over the past few weeks as well.

We hope you enjoy this build – be sure to keep sending in your feedback via the Windows Feedback app!

Thanks,
g

Source

-----Edit-----

Had a chance to update my 920 to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10166. All went well and took about ~40 min to update. (Not counting download)

I did notice a couple little things in the menu not responding like they should so decided not to waste any time and just do a factory reset from the menu. * (Settings-->System-->About-->Reset Your Phone)

Once complete all worked as expected.

You can immediately feel the difference from build 10149, overall performance of the latest build is much better.

Improvements aside, i would still not suggest anyone run this on their daily driver but those interested in testing will find this build much more palatable.

Once the desktop version goes RTM we should see much more action on the mobile side of things. :cool:

wp_ss_20150712_0002.png

*Standard warning applies - Back up your phone first

Last edited:
Windows 10 Mobile News

Or lack there of :sly:

It has been a little quiet on the mobile front with desktop version taking all available resources of late, but now with desktop launched and doing well we should see more action on the mobile side of things.

Build 10166 was released to the fast ring July 10, 2015 and then the slow ring July 22,2015

10166.png

Build 10166 was a huge step forward over the previous mobile build. Even so, after almost a month now it is time...

There were some rumblings on the web the other day about build 10240 being released, but Gabe has since squashed said rumor as well as confirm that a new build is about to be released.

10240.png

For the time being "newer than 10240" is all we get.

---------------------

Edit Aug 11, 2015

105XX.png

Last edited:
Build 10512

August 12, 2015 10:01 am by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10512

Hi everyone,

We’re rolling out Build 10512 of the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview right now to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. Thanks for your patience waiting for this one, the team was very focused on our Windows 10 release for PCs and tablets, and we needed to do some prep work for Mobile to move to a new branch. I expect the builds to be out more frequently again as we go forward from here. Our major focus on Windows 10 Mobile right now is on improvements to core quality.

We’ve made quite a few improvements since the last build, but here are a few things that we fixed that were frequently reported by Insiders:

*General improvement in overall stability and performance.

*You can now set the Lock screen and background image from within the Photos app.

*We fixed an issue where apps installed on SD cards weren’t working after a reboot.

*We have improved Latvian and Chinese inputs.

*We have made improvements to the Kid’s Corner tile layout.

*We have improved reliability of Data Sense notifications.

*Modified Shape Writing algorithm to be less aggressive in suggesting contact names over common words.

*Resolved an issue where Camera would not launch when the phone was locked.

*We fixed an issue where notifications for incoming text messages weren’t appearing.

*We fixed an issue where the touch screen wouldn’t be responsive after ending a phone call on some devices.

*And we fixed an issue where folder tiles have obviously overlapping text.

We do have a few known issues for you to take note of for this build:

*Mobile hotspot doesn’t work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your phone using Mobile Hotspot, devices will fail to get a valid IP address from your phone and will show no internet access.

*Two-factor authentication for your MSA with a phone number doesn’t work in this build. If you reset your phone and go through the first run experience, you won’t be able to input more than 2 characters for validating phone or text authentication. If you have a secondary email for two-factor authentication – you can choose that. As a workaround, add secondary email for two-factor authentication.

*Some phones might spend a long time in the post update migration experience – just let the phone sit and it should complete this migration.

*Apps that use background audio such as Groove, Podcast, Pandora, etc. will crash when launching after receiving an app update from the Store. Rebooting the device will resolve this issue.

*Some phones with a large number of tiles pinned to the Start screen may get stuck in a state where the device shows “Loading…”; the device will need to be reset or rolled back to Windows Phone 8.1 using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

*Some apps may fail to update through the Store with the error code 0x80073cf9; uninstalling the application and reinstalling it will resolve this issue.

*The Movies & TV app will not work in this build (video playback is currently broken).

One other note is that the Insider Hub is not yet included in the new build. We are working to bring this back into new flights soon.

Remember – be sure to check the Store and grab the latest app updates from there too, as there have been lots of improvements to apps since the last build.

And be sure to keep sending in your feedback via the Windows Feedback app!

Thanks,
g

Source

September 9, 2015 10:57 am by Gabe Aul

An update on Windows 10 Insider Mobile Preview builds

Hi everyone,

Many of you have been asking me on Twitter when we’ll release a new Windows 10 Mobile Insider build, and I know that you’re anxious for an update. The team is working hard to get a fresh build out, and we’re treating it with high priority. We are pushing hard to get a build out this week, but I thought that since the time between builds is longer than we expected I would share a few more details with you about what’s been going on here behind the scenes.

We’ve received a lot of great feedback on our last Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build – Build 10512. In the current build going through our internal rings now most of the known issues introduced with Build 10512 as well as many issues that have been reported have been fixed – mobile hotspot functionality now works, Quiet Hours\Do Not Disturb has been fixed, pinch and zoom in the Maps app now works as expected and the delay in showing the date and time on the Lock screen has been improved. However, as new builds with these fixes passed through our internal rings, we discovered a few issues that we were not comfortable releasing to Windows Insiders until we had fixes for those as well. Each time that happens, we have to do a few things:

1) The team responsible for the area diagnoses the problem and fixes the code.
2) We then verify that the issue is properly fixed, and doesn’t create any side effects.
3) That change then gets integrated into a new build.
4) And we send the build with that fix back through our internal rings.

We have been busy doing this as normal as part of the ring progression process I’ve outlined before – so the train has been moving and overall the builds are getting more robust and reliable. But with each blocking issue, we start back through our internal ring validation with any additional changes that were ready at that time. Unfortunately, we had to reset our ring progression 3 times over the past several weeks because of 3 issues that would have affected Insiders.

WIP-Flights-1024x221.png

When we release builds to Insiders, even on the Fast ring, we want to make sure people can do everyday activities on their phones – answering phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, installing and using apps, and all of the other basics. We may have some issues (which we’ll note as known issues for builds we flight), but we know we get the best feedback from Insiders who are really able to use these builds normally and then tell us what they think.

The good news is that we believe we have fixes for the issues blocking us from flighting a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build, and we’re going through the internal rings now.

Thanks for your patience, we’re doing our best to make the wait for a new build as short as possible.

Thanks,
g

Source

September 14, 2015 3:01 pm by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10536

Hi everyone,

We’re rolling out Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10536 right now to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. You may have noticed it’s taken us a little longer than we would have liked to get a new build out to you – please read my post from earlier this week on the delay. I am happy to say this build has progressed through all our internal rings and now is ready for Windows Insiders.

Insiders updating from Build 10512 will need to update their devices twice. You will see Build 10514 and Build 10536.1000. Run these updates. After these updates are installed, you’ll receive another update which will be Build 10536.1004. This process will take a bit more time than usual but this update has all the important fixes for Build 10536 so you will want to make sure you take BOTH updates. If you don’t have a problem going back to Windows Phone 8.1, you can update directly to this build (10536.1004).

Here are some of the improvements we’ve made since the last build:

*Insider Hub is now included again!
*Mobile hotspot functionality has been fixed.
*Voice input has been updated to add support for Japanese and English (India) speech recognition.
*Single hop updates are again available from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview for all devices.
*Two-factor authentication is fixed when setting up a device for both text and phone authentication.
*Start screen will successfully load instead of failing with “Loading …” displayed in a loop until device was rebooted. (We are still tracking down an issue were it may show “Loading …” for a few seconds.)
*Quite Hours\Do Not Disturb has been fixed.
*Delay in showing date and time on Lock screen has been improved.
*Pinch and zoom in Maps now works as expected.

Updated Photos app: The Photos app has been updated to include features you have been asking for to help you do more with your photos. This update introduces a folder view that makes it easy for you to see your OneDrive and PC folders in the Photos app. On your phone, you can also see folders on your SD card.

W10_Phone_Photos_Folders_9x16_en-US_adines-01-new.png

This update also brings faster photo viewing and context menus. Specifically, for phones, zoom and panning is faster, and we’ve introduced favorites. Make sure you’re running the latest version of the Photos app from the Store to see all these improvements on your phone (version 15.9).

W10_Laptop_Photos_Folders_16x9_en-US-1024x576.png

This update hasn’t yet rolled out for PCs but will roll out shortly.

One-handed mode: When we introduced one-handed mode for larger phones, we heard feedback saying many Insiders would like it even on smaller devices. In this build, we have also enabled the ability to use one-handed mode on all phones which can be enabled by pressing and holding the Start button. When you do this, your screen will slide down so you can reach items at the top of your screen.

wp_ss_20150909_0001-576x1024.png

To slide the screen back up, tap the black space at the top of the screen, or press and hold the Start button again. One-handed use will also naturally time out after several seconds and return to your regular view. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Share your feedback: Also as we have previously announced on the Windows Insider Preview build 10527 for PC, you can now share your feedback submitted through the Windows Feedback app.

Mobile-Share-Feedback-576x1024.png

Here are a few known issues for you to take note of for this build:

*After rebooting your phone, you won’t see notifications, such as new messages, until you unlock your phone. After that, you should see notifications for new messages just fine.
*“zStorage” appears in the Settings app under System and clicking on it causes the Settings app to crash.
C*amera upload to OneDrive may not be enabled based on prior settings. To fix this, make sure you are running the latest version of OneDrive by opening the top left navigation bar, then settings on the right to verify that camera upload is turned on and you have the latest app (version 17.2).
*Insiders will not be able to move from Slow to Fast rings temporarily; we are working on a fix but in the interim to move a device from Slow to Fast you will need to use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to first start on Windows Phone 8.1 and opt directly into the Fast ring.
*Additional languages for speech and keyboards won’t be available until tomorrow (9/15) and will error if you try to download. If you already have languages for speech and keyboards downloaded to your phone prior to upgrading, they will remain and available to use.

We also wanted to talk a little bit about Lumia 1020 camera features on Windows 10. Owners of the Lumia 1020 love using their phone’s amazing camera to capture high-fidelity photos and videos. If you recently upgraded your Lumia 1020 to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, you might have been disappointed that your camera wasn’t working like you expect. Many of the Lumia 1020’s camera features, like 41MP capture and DNG files, only work with the Lumia Camera app. While the app works with Windows 10 Mobile, it won’t be available for download from the Store until later this fall.

To get all your Lumia 1020 camera features back, you need the Lumia Camera app installed on your phone. The easy solution is to wait until the app is available in the Store. If you don’t want to wait, you need to use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to return to Windows Phone 8.1 in order to get the app back.

Note: These issues only affect the Lumia 1020. If you have a different Lumia phone, the default Windows Camera app already supports all Lumia features except Living Images, which are coming soon to the Lumia phones that have them today!

Thanks for putting up with this temporary loss of functionality on Lumia 1020 devices.

Remember to keep checking the Store and grab the latest app updates from there too and be sure to keep sending in your feedback via the Windows Feedback app!

Thanks,
g

Updated September 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Source

Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10549

And a month later.....

October 14, 2015 10:35 am by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10549

Hi everyone,

We’re rolling out Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10549 right now to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. However, this build comes with a caveat. We discovered a bug late last night that caused phones upgrading from Build 10536 to get stuck at a black screen after this new build is installed. Rather than making you wait a little bit longer for us to fix this bug – we decided to release this build as a single update from Windows Phone 8.1. Current Insiders that would like to try out Build 10549 should:

Go back to Windows 8.1 first using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
Once you’re on Windows Phone 8.1, install the Windows Insider app, choose the Fast ring, and reboot your phone.
After that – this build should download and install on your phone.

If you choose to remain on Build 10536 – that’s fine too. You will not receive today’s build but we’re working to ensure you’ll be able to receive the next one. We know having to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 to get this new build is a bit of work. By doing so you are also helping us test the upgrade path that millions of Windows Phone 8.1 customers will take to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile, so we appreciate the adventurous Insiders who choose to go this route and give us feedback.

Here’s what’s new in this build:

Improvements to Cortana: Cortana now works for Insiders in Japan and in English for Insiders in Australia and Canada. For more information on new languages in Cortana – see my post here.

Messaging app improvements: The Messaging app now has a text box that can be expanded as you enter text. Previously, the text box had 2-3 lines which made it really hard to see what you were typing. As I mentioned yesterday with Build 10565 for PC, an upcoming build for mobile will include the integrated Skype capabilities for you to preview.

Diverse emoji: With this build, we are adding support for Unicode’s diversity emoji’s. Consistent with Unicode’s vision, we’re excited to offer people all over the world with emoji that reflect more human diversity. We added this capability to the PC with Build 10547 and now we’re extending to mobile. Check out our new diverse emoji and let us know what you think.

DIVERSE-EMOJI.gif

An update for Lumia 1020 users: Lumia Camera is no longer uninstalled when you update to Windows Mobile 10, so you can continue using it when you update your phone from Windows Phone 8.1. You should use Lumia Camera in order to take advantage of all of the Lumia 1020’s great camera capabilities. Lumia Camera is not yet available in the Store for Windows 10 devices so you will need to use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to return to Windows Phone 8.1 in order to get the app back.

Here are some things we have fixed:

*The Windows Camera app no longer crashes when certain applications launch it to capture a picture.
*We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard would get dismissed every time you sent a message, which made sending 2+ texts in quick succession difficult.
*We fixed an issue where swiping away a notification was causing the notification icon to appear top of your screen.
*Screenshots were not being properly saved resulting in many top social messenger apps such as WeChat, WhatsApp, LINE, WeiBo, and QQ unable to find saved screenshots. This has been fixed.
*We fixed an issue where you couldn’t launch apps saved on SD cards after reinserting your SD card.
*Pinch to zoom should work properly in the Maps app now.
*We fixed an issue where trying to set a custom ring or text tone for a contact shows a black screen for 10 seconds, then does nothing.
*We have added back vibrate-only alarms.
*We have fixed call-blocking.

Known issues:

*After upgrade, you might be missing a few apps. If you experience this, the workaround is to reset your phone.
*After rebooting your phone, you won’t see notifications, such as new messages, until you unlock your phone for the first time. After that, you should see notifications for new messages just fine. This bug is fixed in a later build.
*You will be unable to make calls with Skype for Business, WhatsApp and other apps after upgrading to this build. The workaround is to uninstall and reinstall these apps from the Store.

Thanks,
g

Updated October 14, 2015 11:05 am

Source

Build 10572

October 20, 2015 2:42 pm by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10572

Hi everyone,

We’re rolling out Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10572 today to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. As you know, build 10549.4 had a bug that prevented upgrade to it from prior builds, so Insiders who wanted to try it out needed to flash back to 8.1. We have fixed this issue in our latest internal builds, and new builds greater than 10575 will have the fix.

So why 10572 if it doesn’t have the fix to allow upgrades? This build has a bunch of great fixes and some very cool new feature additions, and we wanted to give Insiders who really wanted to try it out the opportunity to do so a bit early. Rest assured, if you’re on 10549.4 or an earlier build you’ll be able to upgrade to 10575 (or newer) once it’s out. So if you want to wait for it, we completely understand and it won’t be too long.

If you’re willing to put in a little time and effort on this one and give it a shot we’re releasing it as an update from Windows Phone 8.1. If you would like to try out Build 10572, you should:

**Go back to Windows 8.1 first using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
**Once you’re on Windows Phone 8.1, install the Windows Insider app, choose the Fast ring, and reboot your phone.
**After that – this build should download and install on your phone.

We are working to make sure with the next mobile build we flight, it’ll support upgrading from both Build 10536 and 10549.

UPDATE: After the upgrade to Build 10572 finishes on your phone – your phone might appear stuck at a black screen. Let it sit for about 10-15 for it to complete the data migration step that finalizes the upgrade. After that, your phone should be fine.

Here’s what’s new in this build:

Get missed call notifications and send texts on your PC with Cortana: With this build on your phone, Cortana will now notify you on your PC (needs to be running Build 10565 or higher) that you missed a call. When you miss a call, you can reply with a text to the person who called you right from your PC and Cortana will have your phone send it.

missed-call-notification.png

If you want to send a text from your PC at any time (even when you haven’t missed a call), just type or speak “Text” and the name of a contact to Cortana on your PC just like you would on your phone and Cortana will take your message and send it from your phone too! Give it a try and let us know what you think.

cortana-text-659x1024.png

For this to work – all you need to do is make sure you are signed into Cortana with the same Microsoft Account on both your phone and PC and Cortana will take care of the rest. If you have multiple PCs and don’t want to receive missed call notifications on one of those PCs, you can go to Cortana’s Notebook and then to Settings to toggle “Missed call notifications” to off on any PC on which you don’t want to receive these notifications. If you would prefer that your phone not send the notification at all, you can go to Cortana’s Notebook and then to Settings to toggle “Missed call notifications” to off and the phone won’t send the notification to any of your PCs.

cortana-missed-call-settings-576x1024.png

Skype messaging, calling and video experience: As we mentioned previously, this build has the Skype integration through the Messaging, Phone and Skype video universal Windows apps. Additionally, the Messaging app now supports animated GIFs and includes the ability to search your messages. And the Phone app has the ability to search for contacts from Call History.

Cortana improvements: Cortana can help keep track of your leisure time, including movie and event reminders and will give you helpful information to know where to go and to get there on time, including an option to book and track an Uber ride directly from Cortana. With this improvement, you can book an Uber any time you want by saying ‘Book an Uber’ and Cortana will get you a ride immediately. You can even take an Uber to the airport, simply say ‘Book an Uber to SeaTac airport,’ or any other airport recognized by Bing that allows Uber, and have Cortana book you a ride to Seattle-Tacoma airport, JFK, ATL or wherever your travels take you.

cortana-reactive-uber.png

Offline maps: You can now save offline maps to a SD card! This has been a top feature request by Windows Insiders and we’re happy to get it out to you in this build.

maps-storage-576x1024.png

Photo app improvements: With the most recent update to the Photos app, you can now mark local photos on your phone as favorites and have them shuffle on the Live Tile. We have also made some viewer improvements for zooming performance and file information. And added new launch points for rich editing. We have also added additional context menus (press and hold on a photo).

photos-favorite-576x1024.png

Storage settings improvements: With this build, you will see UX improvements to storage settings on your device that create a common experience across your PC and phone. We have enabled the number one user feedback item for the storage settings page to allow you to install applications to expanded storage such as and SD card or USB drive on BOTH your phone and PC. You can also check out these updated storage settings in Build 10565 for PC we released last week.

storage-pc-1024x794.png

*Notifications, such as new messages, can be received without first unlocking the device.
*Cortana’s background activity has been optimized for power usage.
*We have fixed some of the issues that were causing the Start screen to not load. Additionally, we have made some performance improvements to the Start screen.
*We have made performance improvements to Acton Center, including swipe to expand and dismiss notifications. Swiping to expand or dismiss notifications should happen more quickly.
*The alarm icon now appears on the Lock screen when an alarm is set in the Alarms & Clock app.
*The proximity sensor during calls is now behaving as expected on devices that may have previously failed to turn the screen off.
*App downloads in the Store were sometimes getting blocked by a service hanging in the background – this should be resolved and app downloads should be more consistent.
*The keyboard will switch languages less aggressively now.
*Taping restart for apply an update will reboot the device immediately now.

Known issues:

*Visual Voicemail sync is broken on some devices. You may need to call your voicemail directly within the Phone app > Settings > Change more settings for Phone > Call Voicemail.
*Opening message threads within the Messaging app will crash on dual SIM phones if the second line’s Messaging tile is removed from the Start screen (even if only a single SIM is used). The second line’s Messaging app will also appear to be removed from the All apps list. To work around this issue, the second line messaging tile must be linked to the first line messaging tile by opening up the first line in the Messaging app then go to Settings > link tiles.
*On Dual SIM devices, unpinning the second line Phone tile from the Start screen will make the entry disappear from the All apps list. Rebooting the phone will cause the tile and application to both reappear.
*Photos cannot be selected for sharing through third party apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram Beta, WhatsApp etc.
*Some devices will get into a state where the Phone app will continually crash upon launch. Resetting the device will recover it from this state.
*Devices that have updated from Windows Phone 8 to Windows Phone 8.1 may lose the ability to connect to Wi-Fi on Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds or may fail to update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds all together. You can use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to first update your device to Windows Phone 8.1 and then upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build.

Thanks,
g

Updated October 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Source

Build 10581

October 29, 2015 9:01 am / by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10581

Hi everyone,

Today we are rolling out Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10581 to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. We’ve fixed the bug preventing upgrades from earlier builds. So if you stayed on Build 10536 or if you flashed back to Windows Phone 8.1 and then installed 10549 or 10572 you can upgrade directly to this new build without going back to 8.1 again. This build doesn’t have significant new features but does include a bunch of good fixes and general performance improvements.

•For devices upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 like the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, and Lumia 1520 that had the “Hey Cortana” feature – with this build “Hey Cortana” should work again in Windows 10. To make sure it’s turned on, just go to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana.
•You can now select photos for sharing through third party apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram Beta, WhatsApp etc.
•Battery life should be improved in this build. We fixed several bugs impacting battery life.
•We fixed an issue where you couldn’t choose some apps to show quick status on the Lock screen via Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
•We’ve made improvements to text prediction and auto-correction.
•Video recording functionality has been improved.
•Visual Voicemail sync should now work properly.
•We fixed the dual-SIM issues that appeared in Build 10572.
•We fixed the issue found with Build 10572 where the Chinese Pinyin QWERTY keyboard stopped working after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 that our Chinese Windows Insiders reported.

Known issues:

•As with previous builds, after applying this update the device may appear at a black screen for about 5 minutes when transition between the spinning gears and the final stages of update. Just be patient and it should progress past it. Exact time will vary by device.
•You will be unable to set your default save locations via Settings > System > Storage and will not correctly reflect the current storage settings. If you are using a SD card in your phone, it will show up as a garbled name in Storage settings. Whatever you had configured for your save locations in the previous build will be the same.
•After moving some apps to a SD card, those apps might crash. The workaround is to reboot your phone and those apps should work fine thereafter.
•Deploying Silverlight apps through Visual Studio to your phone won’t work in this build. You can deploy UWP apps to your phone without any issues.
•If you restore a backup from a phone that had a different resolution, you may end up with a corrupted Start experience. The workaround is to go to Action Center (which won’t be corrupted) then Settings > Personalization > Start and apply a different background picture.

We’re very happy to have the upgrade bug behind us which caused a few unusual flights, and are hugely appreciative of the Windows Insiders who did the extra work to re-flash and try those builds. For those of you who chose to wait it out, we hope you’ll find this build worth the wait.

Thanks,
g

Source

Thanks Cuda. Is it just me or does this mobile WinTen sound interestingly useful? I understand that on the final version that my Galaxy S4 will be supported, or just maybe will be ready for an upgrade, don't know. But this level of synchronization has me re-thinking my little world.

Back