• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 14.9 GPU_FAH unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I have two HD 7870 AMD Pitcairn cards folding full power 24/7 (or I'd like them to).

Just seems 'the display driver stopped working' notices are twice daily occurrences. Sometimes when I quit FAH to restart both clients again, the system will BSoD after I restart FAH. Anyone else have general AMD driver instability with GPU_FAH?
Win7pro64

This happens on two separate Intel systems (same cards).
Super Micro X8DTH-iF, dual Westmere Xeons E5620 @2.4GHz >2xGPU3 FAH 24/7
Asus Commando, 8GB GSkill PC6400, Q6600 @3.0GHz

I don't remember this happening on nVidia cards/drivers.

Last edited:
I have better luck with drivers in the 13.xx. I use 13.9 and 13.12 with amd cards, my amd cards clock like crap so between 1050 and 1080 is where I run them.
base clock for my 280x cards is 1030 so the clocks they can run don't buy much so undervolting at base clock keeps them cool and quiet.

I used to have crazy problems with 14.9. Try 14.11 Beta 2. Its worth a shot. I no longer have issues when using this
verson.

I've stopped keeping the advanced control open and it seems to be more stable. I check MSI afterburner to check the temps. If one is cool, then it most likely had a driver crash and FAH needs to be terminated and restarted. First I check to make sure it isn't just shutting down to send out a finished WU.

I'll have to agree with the other's..... with a 7800 series card you should be using 11.9 or 11.12 driver.

- - - Updated - - -

I have better luck with drivers in the 13.xx. I use 13.9 and 13.12 with amd cards, my amd cards clock like crap so between 1050 and 1080 is where I run them.
base clock for my 280x cards is 1030 so the clocks they can run don't buy much so undervolting at base clock keeps them cool and quiet.

Which 280X vender do you have????

I have a Sapphire Dual X OC that has (*& for cooling. The best it will do is 1125 core @ 1.150V and 1550 memory @ 1.6v

I finally got POed for the last time with 14.9's crashing. Rolled back to 13.9. Let's see how it goes this time. What good is maximum folding speed if 14.9 only folds some of the time. It's like driving 120mph on the freeway, but stopping at all the rest stops.

Odd as 14.9 has been rock solid for folding and gaming for me....
You will also loose some point reverting from 14.9 btw. (30K+ I gained from 13.12 to 14.9)

Have a look here. In particular, the TdrDelay word. I set mine to a longer timeout a while ago, back when I ran 11.2. Mining, even folding was hit or mis with 11.2, then again my OS was probably borked since that's when I was really messing with GPU overclocking and the like.

Speaking of which, you are not overclocking your GPU's right?

I don't know. If they are OCed, it's BIOS stock OC. 14.9 would even crash during the night. I could tell as my win10 vm was black and one of my gpu was running cold. If they don't crash while I'm surfing the internet or sleeping, I'll make better PPD in the long run.

I don't know. If they are OCed, it's BIOS stock OC. 14.9 would even crash during the night. I could tell as my win10 vm was black and one of my gpu was running cold. If they don't crash while I'm surfing the internet or sleeping, I'll make better PPD in the long run.

You just reminded me of something. No screensavers!
The "blank" screensaver is fine, I'm using it now.

I remember having lots of trouble with screensavers back then come to think of it...

I used to get that 'display driver has stopped' it was always the card powering my monitor, it would crash that card and thd other one would fold happily away. One thing you might consider is a not quite powerful enough power supply(s). I stepped up from a ****ty cooler master 650 to a corsair 750 (thanks ok wolf!) And i haven't a crash since. Just my 2 cents.
Fold on.

I'm using 14.9 on Windows 8.1 and 7 64 bit. On the Windows 7 machine I have three 280x with factory OC. On the Windows 8.1 machine I have a 280x and a reference 7970.

With that said, caddi daddi is the expert on the subject and I would follow his advice. He has never steered me wrong.

OK no crashes so far :thup:

Also like you said 30kPPD slower :-/

But no crashes :)

Maybe I'll try 14.5 next.

750W PCP&C Quad :rock:

OK no crashes so far :thup:

Also like you said 30kPPD slower :-/

But no crashes :)

Maybe I'll try 14.5 next.

750W PCP&C Quad :rock:

12.8, 13.12 & 14.9 are the only Catalyst drivers I have on my HDD. They are also the only ones that didn't give me any troubles mining so for folding (which is wall less intense than mining) these versions 'ought to be good.

Perhaps some overclocking would make up the 30K PPD loss eh?

14.9 was too unstable on my cards. I'll enjoy the trouble free, but slightly slower 13.9 for awhile.

BTW... I didn't install the CC this time as I figured Afterburner could do the job better. I'm wondering if 14.9 would be more stable without the CC?

14.9 was too unstable on my cards. I'll enjoy the trouble free, but slightly slower 13.9 for awhile.

BTW... I didn't install the CC this time as I figured Afterburner could do the job better. I'm wondering if 14.9 would be more stable without the CC?

Possibly.

Honestly I would try it.

HI, guys, been a while.
just been psyco (like an ex daughter inlaw) busy.
got my 2 280x power color cards in running 14.9, full bloat ccc installed we'll see how they do over the next few days and find out if it gets unstable at all, I'm with subpar on the psu might be an issue, I'm using my evga 850 G2.

to see if your card clocks are stable or not, open gpu-z, click sensors, set sensor refresh rate to 0.1 and see if the core and memory clock bars are nice and solid, like mine are.
it they are all over the place, set your clock back a little and check again.
it's the only way I know of, if you know of another PLEASE tell me.

Attachments

• 280 folding.png
    280 folding.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 76
  • gpu z 1.PNG
    gpu z 1.PNG
    204 KB · Views: 72
  • gpuz 2.PNG
    gpuz 2.PNG
    220.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I use sapphire trixx to clock the amd cards, I find it easier and nicier to use, after burner is not so nice to use for me.

Afterburner has got lots of OC options, but I just use it to monitor the temps and % load mainly.

Back