• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are concidered quality fans these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

Hey, guys and gals. I haven't been active on the forums for a couple years, but I just ordered parts for a new mITX workstation/hotel room gaming rig. Lian Li PQ-something-33-something windowed case, Intel 4790k, Hyper 212 (not expecting to overclock this one much, if at all), Samsung 840 256 gb SSD, 2x4 gb GSkill 2133 RAM, Corsair RM 550, Asus Z97 mITX board.

My question is about cooling and noise. The case relies on a single 120mm exhaust fan in a negative pressure setup. I don't plan on overclocking this processor very much, but I'm always building with cooling in mind and I'm out of the loop. A few years ago I was all about the Scythe S-Flex fans, but they must not be made anymore because they are extremely hard to find. What does the community feel is the best couple of fans on the market when it comes to airflow vs. noise? Price doesn't really concern me if the fan can move massive CFM for few DCB. It appears the Noctua fans are still very popular, and I'm leaning towards them, but I'd like to hear from the community. I was very pleased (and still am) with my Scythe S-Flex fans, but you just about can't buy them anymore. If there is a community favorite, I'd like to know what it is.

If noise is not your concern than you may want to buy this fan, make sure to buy a fan grill too because if you're not careful, it may cut off your finger :D
http://www.amazon.com/Swellder-AFC1...qid=1434591879&sr=8-1&keywords=120mmx38mm+fan

That was a joke, not many people want to put that fan inside their case unless it's s server system
Noctual fan is very good, at for me, i have been using this fan inside one of my pc for the past 5 month now, not too loud, push plenty of air too and in my opinion, it's a best fan that cost under $18
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...8-1&keywords=cooler+master+jet+flow+120mm+fan

That Delta is variable speed and is actually a very good choice for the machine. I have used some almost identical ones in my hybrid air conditioner project and they're practically silent at minimum speed.

I've used Corsair, Noctua and the Blacknoise E-loop series. For pressure related I'd go with the Noctua if money isn't too much of a concern. The newer series I just got a couple to play with in the 140mm size and they move some air through restrictive spaces, I'm impressed. But for the 120mm size I like the E-loops, just sexy and super quiet up until the 1500rpm range, but I'm talking still a whisper. Corsair were just the stock run of the mill case fans, while not to shabby, a bit noisier than I wanted. I enjoy my silent-ish PC. And it fun to watch the cat jump up on top of my case to only get spooked by the air movement from some fans, I swear he never learns. :screwy:

140mm: Noctua NF-A14 for 140mm fan holes. Noctua NF-A15 and Thermalright TY140 - TY147 for 120mm fan holes.

120mm: If you can get them, Gentle Typhoons. Since those are no longer being made, the NF-P12. Apparently that is available in redux (reduced price, and in shades of gray) or reg. retail. For higher pressure, go with the Noctua NF-F12.

In general, for case fans, if the area surrounding your fan window is flat, you can put a 140mm fan on a 120x120 window. It fills up the whole window, and blow more air per rpm.

Fan speeds for case fans should be 800-1000 rpm. For budget work, the Nexus Real Quiet 120mm is good, right at 1000 rpm.

Back