• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus x99 pro mb coul;d i have damaged my board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kameozero

Registered
hi this is my 3rd time building a pc and well ive never seen this before, i had to move a small jumper on the board to enable overclocking but i didnt realize the bottom jumper and the top jumper are connected, so not only did i move the cpu ov jumper i also moved the clear rtc ram jumper to the side as well.

when i tryed to boot my pc it wudnt boot then i realized id moved the bottom clear rtc ram jumper as well so i put the rtc back into its default position and tryed to boot again the pc is back on but i just wanted to know could i of damaged something by doing this ? got alot of hardware in this pc its my first major build so could trying to boot the pc while the clear rtc ram was on have damaged the mobo or anything else?

Last edited:
In rare instances perhaps. But seeing how you were able to boot once the jumper was returned to the proper position, I'm sure you're fine.

yea it never even tryed to boot like i pressed power and nothing happend lights where on the mboard but it wouldnt boot never heard any electical sounds or anything if it would of broke something wud it just be the board or could the whole thing of gone

It didn't try to boot because you were clearing the BIOS with that second jumper.
It's perfectly fine.

They still make motherboards with jumpers to turn on overclocking features? Haven't seen that since the pre-DDR days.

Last edited:
The CPU overvolt jumper does not "enable" overclocking, it simply provides higher CPU voltage options than normal. Unless you're using extreme cooling such as LN2, DICE, etc. there is no need to enable it. There is plenty of CPU voltage available when that jumper is left in its default position.

yea i didnt realize till i moved the jumper i just thought i read it in the manual that u had to move the jumper to be able to overclock only aftyer i done it did i realize it enables the Ln2 high end overclocks just thought i might of fried my system

- - - Updated - - -

thanks u put my mind at rest

- - - Updated - - -

thanks man thats the answer i was looking for my mind is at ease now

Back