• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Opinion/Advice on upgrading to watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doppleganger99

Hi,

Im planing on watercooling both my CPU & GPU as at the moment I have Corsair H80 cooler for my CPU.

CPU - Intel i7 970
Motherboard - Asus Rampage III Extreme
Graphics Card - GTX 970
Case - Corsair 600T

I know my system is outdated.. lol

I have everything planned out as to what to get and where to put them.. just need an opinion if the setup will work.

Watercooling parts:

XSPC X2O 750 Dual Bay Reservoir and Pump V4 x 1
XSPC EX240 Crossflow Radiator x 1
XSPC EX140 Radiator x 1
XSPC FLX Tubing Clear UV 3/8ID 5/8OD 2m
XSPC G1/4 Chrome 3/8in ID 5/8in OD Compression Fitting x 10
XSPC G1/4 90 Degree Rotary Fitting Black Chrome
Phobya Seal Plug G1/4
Phobya LED Flexlight High Density 30cm UV

My budget is around $400 AUD which is pretty much sums up all the above.

Just need opinions suggestions or feedback on this..

Cheers!

:welcome: to OCFs.

First and foremost I will say you're better off upgrading your gear to the soon to be skylake and possibly resell your case for a more water cooling friendly case that has more than 120.2 of rad space if you chose to go full custom on more than one GPU. You'd have a good increase in performance for that nice GTX 970 on a upgraded system as that i7 970 I'm almost sure is bottle necking that GPU. Not sure what resolution you're at but that bottleneck can be increased depending on the res you play your games in.

Outside of that aspect, have you read up not just on the basics on water cooling but on how to maintain a loop? If you haven't, please do as you're almost done reading the basics.

As for your list, you left out one of the most important main components of a loop. The water blocks. Are you looking to do CPU or a CPU and GPU(s) loop?

In all honestly, I would save that cash for Skylake towards the end of the year with the Z170 Chipset. I'd sell the rest except the GTX 970 or sell that for a new AMD R9 390 8GB at a spectacular price point or wait for the Fury/FuryX. Sure there's many ways you can go about this and make it more simple and just upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM.

Hi,

Thanks!

Well my original graphics card of my system was GTX 580.. just got the 970 from a friend that comes with a waterblock as I already have a CPU waterblock for my current CPU. So no problems with the waterblocks as im planing on cooling both CPU and GPU in the loop.

I do want and will upgrade my system but I doubt it will be anytime soon as upgrading would cost me a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM which would cost a lot if I want to future proof.

I just thought that I'd try out watercooling this system for now while im saving up money for a new system. its also why I'd chosen to do a custom watercooling so I could use it on the new system since the only things that I probably wont be able to use are the waterblocks and I got them already anyways so I guess im not losing any money.. just a thought.. lol

In regards with the watercooling system.. do you think it'll be enough having a 240 + 120 Radiator to cool both CPU and GPU?

my loop would probably be Pump/240Rad>CPU>120Rad>GPU>Pump

Hi,

Thanks!

Well my original graphics card of my system was GTX 580.. just got the 970 from a friend that comes with a waterblock as I already have a CPU waterblock for my current CPU. So no problems with the waterblocks as im planing on cooling both CPU and GPU in the loop.

I do want and will upgrade my system but I doubt it will be anytime soon as upgrading would cost me a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM which would cost a lot if I want to future proof.

I just thought that I'd try out watercooling this system for now while im saving up money for a new system. its also why I'd chosen to do a custom watercooling so I could use it on the new system since the only things that I probably wont be able to use are the waterblocks and I got them already anyways so I guess im not losing any money.. just a thought.. lol

In regards with the watercooling system.. do you think it'll be enough having a 240 + 120 Radiator to cool both CPU and GPU?

my loop would probably be Pump/240Rad>CPU>120Rad>GPU>Pump

Ah ok. That makes sense than on the blocks. Your CPU block might be compatible with whatever you get down the road if you have the different brackets unless they change the socket. Most if not all CPU water blocks come with brackets for all the sockets, including the 1366.

As for rad space, 120.3 of heat surface will be fine for a CPU and GPU only loop at the minimum. I would maybe consider dropping the 140mm rad for either a 120.2 or 120.3 depending how silent you want this rig and what you believe you'll be adding to the system down the road and hang it out the back externally via Koolance radiator bracket. That would leave you with more than enough heat surface say if you would add another GPU to the loop down the road. I'd also recommend on going with some of the smaller tubing to be able to route externally and vise versa.

Don't forget the maintenance involved as well as having a biocide for the loop and make sure the tubing you pick is the PrimoChill Advanced LRT. Best tubing in the market for some time now.

Edit: I totally botched this message as I had confused this thread with another one. :eek: I have edited it to the exact info on this thread. lol

Last edited:
Ah ok. That makes sense than on the blocks. Your CPU block might be compatible with whatever you get down the road if you have the different brackets unless they change the socket. Most if not all CPU water blocks come with brackets for all the sockets, including the 1366.

As for rad space, 120.3 of heat surface will be fine for a CPU and GPU only loop at the minimum. I would maybe consider dropping the 140mm rad for either a 120.2 or 120.3 depending how silent you want this rig and what you believe you'll be adding to the system down the road and hang it out the back externally via Koolance radiator bracket. That would leave you with more than enough heat surface say if you would add another GPU to the loop down the road. I'd also recommend on going with some of the smaller tubing to be able to route externally and vise versa.

Don't forget the maintenance involved as well as having a biocide for the loop and make sure the tubing you pick is the PrimoChill Advanced LRT. Best tubing in the market for some time now.

Edit: I totally botched this message as I had confused this thread with another one. :eek: I have edited it to the exact info on this thread. lol

Thanks again for the input!

Yes I switched my tubes to PrimoChill from XSPC on my shopping list :)

I wont be overclocking anything as even with my current system im not having trouble loading games on my main monitor while watching a movie on the other..

..Yes I'm running 2 monitors, 1x27" Asus and a 20" LGW2043T.

I'll be using Distilled water for the loop as I did some research instead of using coloured stuff i'll just use UV tubes instead,
Most of the materials in my planned loop is made out of Brass/Copper/Chrome anyway so I'm hoping I should be fine with just distilled water.

Below is my list XD.. I'll post my rig once its done.. couple of months maybe? haha

Capture.PNG

Before you go making things final, I'd upgrade that reservoir to a D5 pump. Second I'd make sure to have enough fittings as x10 I don't think are enough since you looking to grab threaded angle fittings and not compression angled fittings. You'll need to compensate for those angle fittings as well.

Before you go making things final, I'd upgrade that reservoir to a D5 pump. Second I'd make sure to have enough fittings as x10 I don't think are enough since you looking to grab threaded angle fittings and not compression angled fittings. You'll need to compensate for those angle fittings as well.

Yeah.. added a few fitings.

lol I thought I'd get away with a cheaper combo.. the V4 pump+res combo was $69 the one with the D5pump+res is $199 lol

Cant this Res+Pump combo handle a single CPU+GPU loop?
XSPC X2O 750 Dual Bay Reservoir and Pump V4

This is the one with the D5 Pump+Res combo
EK DBAY D5 PWM Pump/Reservoir Combo

Yeah.. added a few fitings.

lol I thought I'd get away with a cheaper combo.. the V4 pump+res combo was $69 the one with the D5pump+res is $199 lol

Cant this Res+Pump combo handle a single CPU+GPU loop?
XSPC X2O 750 Dual Bay Reservoir and Pump V4

This is the one with the D5 Pump+Res combo
EK DBAY D5 PWM Pump/Reservoir Combo

Wow, those are pricey compared to what we pay here. What I was referring to was something like this.

If you're from aussie land and can't grab it from overseas than yes, your best bet is to grab that 750. Its good for smaller loops but for more complex I'd go with a DDC or D5. Plus those pumps last a lot longer.

Yes i know! ..First World Geek Problem! LOL
Yeah.. I think I'd go with the 750 for now or at least to start with and probably in the long run just replace it with a D5 pump..

Well Cheers for the help! and soon as I get this UP i'll post it up here!

..not anytime soon lol

Yes i know! ..First World Geek Problem! LOL
Yeah.. I think I'd go with the 750 for now or at least to start with and probably in the long run just replace it with a D5 pump..

Well Cheers for the help! and soon as I get this UP i'll post it up here!

..not anytime soon lol

Just so you know, you can't just replace the pump in that reservoir as its fixed for a 750 pump only. That actually goes for all reservoirs that have a D5 or DDC design to them. Unfortunately they aren't universal. Can only pick one or the other.

Make sure to keep us updated throughout your build. :salute:

Back