• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Silverstone ST56ZF psu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jizzzared

So I have gotten into a new hobby; RC airplanes. Electric, specifically, and with lots of batteries. I converted my Silverstone ST56zf 560 watt (480 watt 38 amp rail 12v rail) to attach to my battery charger. The only question I have is regarding safety.

This psu has been gently run for about 4 years (ot's about 6ish years old) and was never close to maxed out on any of the pc components it ever powered. Now charging with it as the power source, I will be maxing out its 38amp 12 volt rail for short periods of time (30-40 minutes at a time with long breaks after.) I have a tiny 5 volt load on the psu with a Sanyo Denki 120mm running at 5 volts that is pointed at the innards of the psu.

My question: Is this 6 year old (quality Etasis built, lightly used) psu up to this task? I know its efficiency sucks, but is there any recent I shouldn't do this. By the way, I've tried it out already and maxed it out at 38amps, and despite getting quite warm on the heatsinks, there was no problem. Thanks!

If the heatsinks were getting warm it wouldn't be a terrible idea to get more airflow to it.
Other than that, should be fine.

Back