• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

97 degrees? wtf happened to my cool *** card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

wtf.PNG SO i took this card (650ti boost) out about 2 months ago, maybe i cant remember when and im too lazy to look atm. i install it in my wife computer thinking yay more PPD, but i get everything in and running and lo and behold 97 gosh darned degrees of scary gpu killing heat. Now my mind immediately jumps to TIM, its gotta be the tim, right? im going to pause it for the night and check it tomorrow, maybe replace the tim and see what happens, does anyone else have any ideas? just in case i missed something stupid

SO i took this card (650ti boost) out about 2 months ago, maybe i cant remember when and im too lazy to look atm. i install it in my wife computer thinking yay more PPD, but i get everything in and running and lo and behold 97 gosh darned degrees of scary gpu killing heat. Now my mind immediately jumps to TIM, its gotta be the tim, right? im going to pause it for the night and check it tomorrow, maybe replace the tim and see what happens, does anyone else have any ideas? just in case i missed something stupid

Not knowing what your wifes PC looks like inside, I'm going to ask is there anything blocking air flow? And does the case it's self have good air flow? If all that is good then maybe go and put new thermal paste on it, I did that to my GTS 450, it had that nasty thermal tape on it and was dry and cracked and it ran high 60-70c, I used Type 44 thermal paste by GC Electronics and now it does not get over 50c when folding, 37-38c when gaming.

Yeah sound like shetty airflow.

My 7850 folds at 77C all day in the top slot. The 270x is blocking the cool air from the 7850's single fan.
Usually I have the 7850 in the bottom slot to get all the cool air since the 270x has better cooling it doesn't need the cool air.

In the bottom slot, the 7850 will fold around 50-58C all day.

Sorry i should have included pics, airflow in the case is decent there is a 120 feeding air into it from the front and a 90 pulling air in the side, nice and clean as well. The 5770 i had in there(decent oc as well) never went above 70, much smaller heat sink. Im going to pull the card and replace the tim maybe it dried out? Shett this card never went above 57 in my main rig. Thanks for the opinions as always guys :)

I'd also just verify that the fan hasn't died or is running very slowly. My biggest problem with the 7970/280x cards is fan death.

I bet the fans got clogged by dust over time.
I had similar issue with gtx560ti and a case with no dust filters - temps were rising over time, and i've found out the fans hardly spinning, this was while gpu monitoring showed high fan rpm.

Checked the fans, nice and smooth, minimal dust, i try and run a clean ship :), replaced the tim (as5), cut 30 degrees off the temp

Me too lol it was a terrible factory job, tons of extra, i should've taken pictures.

Me too lol it was a terrible factory job, tons of extra, i should've taken pictures.

I've seen advice against replacing TIM on video cards. But that was as a routine procedure, given some cards use different style TIM and different cooling mounts than CPUs. For a case like this where you've had a problem and been able to track it down to the TIM, replacing it makes sense.

Well, it worked fine before... so it wasn't too much...weird.

I've seen advice against replacing TIM on video cards. But that was as a routine procedure, given some cards use different style TIM and different cooling mounts than CPUs. For a case like this where you've had a problem and been able to track it down to the TIM, replacing it makes sense.
Why would you not want to replace TIM on old cards??

Thanks for taking the time to find it. :)

However, that post is well over 5 years old and in reference to the GTX 200 series of cards from NVIDIA. I have literally seen many dozens of TIM applications across all brands and cards, and I can say that most of the TIM is not that high end stuff. If one suspects TIM is the issue, there is little reason to avoid replacing it.

Here is a screen shot showing my GTS450 that I replaced the thermal tape with thermal paste and changed the fan profile.

GPU-temp.jpg

Back