• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 Memory Usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

My current rig has the following memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GXL

When I run Prime95, I choose the "Blended" stress test option. When I open "Task Manager/Performance Tab" go gauge the memory's usage, only 1.6gb (of 16gb) is being used. It's been running for a few hours now and still the same. Does PRime95 have to run longer to start calculating the most complex math formulas that start taxing the memory? Or did I not use the settings right in Prime95?

My current rig has the following memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GXL

When I run Prime95, I choose the "Blended" stress test option. When I open "Task Manager/Performance Tab" go gauge the memory's usage, only 1.6gb (of 16gb) is being used. It's been running for a few hours now and still the same. Does PRime95 have to run longer to start calculating the most complex math formulas that start taxing the memory? Or did I not use the settings right in Prime95?

By default IIRC, Prime95 only allocates 2000Mb of RAM for blend mode. If you switch modes, you will see that number change in the box below "custom"

If you want to allocate more RAM, use custom mode then ;)

By default IIRC, Prime95 only allocates 2000Mb of RAM for blend mode. If you switch modes, you will see that number change in the box below "custom"

If you want to allocate more RAM, use custom mode then ;)

So if I have 16gb of RAM, in the "Custom" setting, should I change "Memory to Use (in MB)" from 2000 to say 14336 (1024x14) if I want to save 2GB for misc functions?

That's what I would do yeah.

I've never done that though, I've always just used the standard blend mode under the assumption that eventually ALL the RAM gets tested as Windows will move around the 2000Mb reservation. Meaning it will move around all 16Gb of your RAM.

That's just my assumption though, I'll read up to see if I'm correct but yeah in the mean time setting P95 to use 14Gb of RAM wouldn't hurt anything :)

That's what I would do yeah.

I've never done that though, I've always just used the standard blend mode under the assumption that eventually ALL the RAM gets tested as Windows will move around the 2000Mb reservation. Meaning it will move around all 16Gb of your RAM.

That's just my assumption though, I'll read up to see if I'm correct but yeah in the mean time setting P95 to use 14Gb of RAM wouldn't hurt anything :)

I'm a couple of hours into the standard blend stress test. I'm going to let that run overnight. If you happen to come across any additional info in your reading, please let me know. (and thank you btw!)

I'm 18 hours into the standard blend stress test. It's still going without any errors/crashes. I assume this is a good sign for the ram? When I pull up the task manager, right now, it's still only using 1.7gb of my 16gb Ram. How can I tell if it's been tapping higher ram while I was at work? Also, should I still let the test go or is 18 hrs good enough to consider the ram stable?

I'm 18 hours into the standard blend stress test. It's still going without any errors/crashes. I assume this is a good sign for the ram? When I pull up the task manager, right now, it's still only using 1.7gb of my 16gb Ram. How can I tell if it's been tapping higher ram while I was at work? Also, should I still let the test go or is 18 hrs good enough to consider the ram stable?

I don't know of a way to see what RAM it's tested, but reading some posts on P95 and it's RAM usage it's safe to say that it does eventually check all the RAM.

I'd call 18 hours rock solid. Heck, I'm lucky to be stable for 3 hours. (Still tweaking my overclock.)
Now if you really want to test the RAM, I'd run memtest86 (free version) all night :)

No problem! :)

Let us know if you run memtest and it gives you errors.
Oh, also ignore the bitrott tests in memtest. They almost always throw false errors.

No problem! :)

Let us know if you run memtest and it gives you errors.
Oh, also ignore the bitrott tests in memtest. They almost always throw false errors.

Memtest is running now and I'll let it go all night. I'll post results tomorrow. It's my first time using it so I used default settings.

Memtest is running now and I'll let it go all night. I'll post results tomorrow. It's my first time using it so I used default settings.

Yep that's right. I'm doubtful it'll find any errors, your system sounds rock solid stable. :)

No problem!
Yep stable like I thought :)

Like I said in PM, I'd try 9-9-9-24 and run memtest again, It ought to run those timings.

Back