• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting mom a new laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So, my mom has a SLOOOOW Celeron 925 2.3ghz laptop and I want to surprise her with a new faster one. I'm willing to pay up to $600.00 for it but the only problem is it must be from my local Micro Center as I hate dealing with online shops and all the waiting and if problems occur shipping and all that crap. So, here is the link to Micro Center. Please have a look at the $600.00 or less laptops and let me know what I should buy her. All she really does on her laptop is browse the web and play windows solitaire. http://www.microcenter.com/# My store is the St. Louis/Brentwood store. I was thinking of the Lenovo G50. But it has a 5,400 rpm hd in it and thats slow. I was thinking of buying a 256gb ssd and replacing the 5,400. Does it have to be a certain form factor ssd for this laptop model? A 2.5 or msata? Thanks guys..

Last edited:
Any will do for her extremely limited uses you mention honestly. Your best is to look at a model and find reviews on it by Googleing the mod na.e a days adding reviews to the end of kt. ;)

The specs will tell you what size drive fits.

Last edited:
I have experience with the Lenovo laptop. Personally I found it to be very responsive and quick to load everything I threw at it, despite the 5400 rpm HDD. Any 2.5" SSD will work in this unit.

Not knowing what your mother plans to do with the machine makes it difficult to determine which unit to recommend, honestly. If she just wants to browse the web, get the chromebook. If she does anything else beyond that like word processing, photos, maybe a light game or two- it might be worthwhile to get a laptop. My experience with chromebooks is limited, so I honestly cannot comment on it or its OS functionality. If you are leaning towards the chromebook, would a tablet also work?

I just bought my father the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7" for fathers day and it does everything he wants. That model will run you 279.99 from your local Microcenter. Solid little unit with great battery life.

Take Care,
TC

Back